Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:55 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,315,402 times

Advertisements

I've heard that this phenomenon of Hollywood churning out mediocrity goes to the fact that the execs don't want to take any risks - they have formulas that they use which fairly often produce the largest profits for them. They don't care about quality pictures, they want their movies to show up in the top five box office numbers.

This is why Netflix has come in handy - I get to relive the good movies with my teenager, and he gets to see how good, meaningful, and well written movies are made. He has made his own observation about how mediocre today's films are, and even he is tired of CGI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 01:27 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,638,588 times
Im sick of the horror genre. There are only 3 plots.

Plot 1:High school/college kids go somewhere remote for the weekend.
Crazy murderer terrorizes them.

Plot 2: Family moves to a new remove town to get a fresh start. Their house is big. Little kid sees stuff. House is haunted

Plot 3: No plot, just see how over the top they can kill people one after the other. For instance, Saw!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:42 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,973,270 times
I hear you loud and clear. I haven't stepped foot in a movie theater in years. Most movies I watch nowadays are on TCM, Flix, or other cable movie channels. If there's a new movie I want to see I wait until it shows up at my local library.

These links tell the story of how bad the movies have become-

How to make an intelligent blockbuster and not alienate people
In this highly charged polemic, the Observer film writer and 5 Live critic tackles the big-budget producers for their cynical rejection of intelligent movies – and contempt for the ordinary cinemagoers who fill their pockets.

March of the Turkeys
Each summer, the multiplexes spew out a succession of schlockbusters. These films take years to make, and cost millions - so why are they so dire? Top-level Hollywood insiders spill the beans to Ravi Somaiya.

Remake mania: New versions of old movies don’t thrill fans

People don't like going to the movies anymore

Why are movies so bad? Or, the numbers

Old 09-27-2011, 01:48 PM

29,661 posts, read 34,166,724 times
The only way to combat this is to respond in a way that movie studios will notice: vote with your wallet. Go and see the movies that you think are worthy, and don't go to the ones you don't. Sure, you'll get millions more people willing to pay to see Transformers 12 or Hangover 5, but there is a small audience out there who demand quality.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,734,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tom View Post
waste of time to criticize mass media movies, as there are hundreds of intellectual, artsy, etc. movies made in numerous countries.....with sub-titles, English dubbed. seek and ye shall find and let go of criticism.
What he said!

Mass media is the same old regurgitated crap because that formula is "low risk" when it comes to turning a profit on big budget films. There's plenty of stuff out there that isn't necessarily subject to the law of the dollar; you just have to broaden your horizons!

Old 09-27-2011, 10:05 PM

571 posts, read 1,300,042 times

This rant, from my favorite and little known film critic, pretty much sums it up.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,693,223 times
If you want to watch a thinking persons film, try Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Gary Oldman was never better within a truly stellar cast.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:46 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,966,162 times
I follow you, SMP, although not entirely: if I look for example at the list of the best movies of 2010, I see some very good American movies (such as Inception, The Social Network, The Ghost Writer, The Town, The King's Speech, True Grit, Black Swan, Winter's Bone,...). But unfortunately, for every one of those movies, there's ten pieces of crap (The Spy Next Door, When In Rome, The Last Airbender, Sex and the City 2, Swa 3D, Yogi Bear,...)

Fortunately, the noughties did bring us the HBO renaissance of TV-shows as a compensation .

Old 09-28-2011, 07:25 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,268,523 times
This is why rotten tomatoes is critical to screen movies before you go to them. Rotten Tomatoes Movie Website

If they don't get at least an 80 I don't go to them anymore. I make exceptions for horror movies, because they never rate highly on the site.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,129,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coors View Post
TV is better.
Is it just me or have all the current TV programs become 24 clones? All I see is people pointing pistols around all the time. Yawn...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies