U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,743,711 times

Advertisements

Interesting article and slide show about the author's picks for the Overacting Hall of Fame:

The overacting hall of fame - Friday Night Seitz - Salon.com

Do you agree with his selections? Who would you add and in what roles in which movies?

I don't agree with the inclusions of Jennifer Jason Leigh and Nicole Kidman since I can't recall seeing any movie roles with either of them where I turned to DH and said while rolling my eyes, "God, what a HAM!"

I DO agree with including Al Pacino, Gary Oldman, and Nic Cage, all of whom I LOVE in most every role I've seen them in, and I DO remember turning to DH and saying enthusiastically, "God, what a HAM!" for "Heat," "Dracula," and "Face Off."

Like the author said: "Sometimes an actor has to go over the top to sell a performance."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 01:38 PM

10,324 posts, read 12,413,543 times
Default Jcvd..

As much as I love Van Damme..Remember Bloodsport? Kickboxer? Especially Bloodsport when his friend is getting beaten by the big dude. He yells "NOOOOOOOO STOOOOOOOOP" and makes hilarious faces.

Steve Railsback in "Lifeforce". Takes the cake though. He spent the movie screaming and looking like he was trying to pass a kidney stone!

And Steven Seagal..Wooden as a door factory. The scowl, and "you messed with my family" plot central to most of his films.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:23 AM

6,256 posts, read 10,328,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
As much as I love Van Damme..Remember Bloodsport? Kickboxer? Especially Bloodsport when his friend is getting beaten by the big dude. He yells "NOOOOOOOO STOOOOOOOOP" and makes hilarious faces.

Steve Railsback in "Lifeforce". Takes the cake though. He spent the movie screaming and looking like he was trying to pass a kidney stone!

And Steven Seagal..Wooden as a door factory. The scowl, and "you messed with my family" plot central to most of his films.
Your examples seemed more like "bad acting" than "overacting".

The overacting examples that come to my mind are Alec Baldwin in "The Shadow" and Bruce Willis in "Hostage".

Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,377,950 times
Nothing wrong with overacting, my favorite actor ever happens to be an overactor. Roddy McDowall could ham it up so deliciously!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:46 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,615,915 times
I loved John Travolta and Nicolas Cage going all the way in Face/Off. That was some serious overacting, but they of course did it on purpose.

Al Pacino in the Devil's Advocate also comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies