U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:41 PM

6,264 posts, read 10,358,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Here we go again! The Donner Superman was pure corn ball!
Pure Cornball? Is this what you watched thinking it was the original?

Indian Superman - YouTube

Just because you prefer CGI driven soap opera action flicks doesn't make the 80s style corny.
I prefer some entertainment mixed with my action flicks, this is what 80s flicks had, this is something what most movies today lack, imho. After 30+ years those movies are still watchable and enjoyable, can you honestly tell me the same will be true with most of the action flicks of today?

[quote] And this Cavill guy is built like a greek statue!! Do you need an eye exam?
My eyes are 20/20, I call it as I see it. Wiki states he is 6'1" IF true (I doubt it) then he is no Tom Cruise but still lame compared to Christopher Reeves at 6'4".

Hopefully he will do a good job but he looks just like another pretty face they picked to make the movie more appealing. I have seen him in multiple movies, just didn't seem to have the same charisma as late C. Reeves. My personal opinion.

Quote:
I bet you want the ice planet Krypton back too......
That would be nice. I would prefer it to a Earthly looking one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 AM

10,657 posts, read 11,368,178 times
[quote=TurcoLoco;29207564]Pure Cornball? Is this what you watched thinking it was the original?

Indian Superman - YouTube

Just because you prefer CGI driven soap opera action flicks doesn't make the 80s style corny.
I prefer some entertainment mixed with my action flicks, this is what 80s flicks had, this is something what most movies today lack, imho. After 30+ years those movies are still watchable and enjoyable, can you honestly tell me the same will be true with most of the action flicks of today?

Quote:
And this Cavill guy is built like a greek statue!! Do you need an eye exam?
My eyes are 20/20, I call it as I see it. Wiki states he is 6'1" IF true (I doubt it) then he is no Tom Cruise but still lame compared to Christopher Reeves at 6'4".

Hopefully he will do a good job but he looks just like another pretty face they picked to make the movie more appealing. I have seen him in multiple movies, just didn't seem to have the same charisma as late C. Reeves. My personal opinion.

That would be nice. I would prefer it to a Earthly looking one.

Yes!! I prefer CGI over wires!!!

Henry Cavill

Close enuff for me..........Cavill has even more muscles....

Yes...eye exam for you.

And figured you'd want that dead lifeless ice planet than the one teeming with life! One we could really feel sympathy for when it explodes!

Also....I'm sure the cornball Luthor of Hackman "MISS TESBACHEEEEEEEEER!", IS GONE! No more goofy sidekicks and dizzy bdames! No more "I'm the world's greatest crimnal genius"! That's so Adam West Batman-ish!

Maybe now we'll have the Luthor of the comics or Clancey Brown's of the Animated series. It's same when the cartoon Luthor is better than the live Hackman.

Lex Luthor - Superman 1 - Land Land Land (1978) - YouTube
Justice League - The Question vs Lex Luthor - YouTube

The animated Luthor is even more "adult" than the cartoony Hackman or Spacey (which was just another Hackman).

Last edited by citizenkane2; 04-21-2013 at 08:23 AM..

Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 AM

15,143 posts, read 19,789,533 times
Donner's Superman was great for its time, but it is still very much a kids movie. Back then, all comic books and super heroes were considered "kids stuff." So yes, great as Christopher Reeve was in the role (and he truly was magnificent), all of those Supes flicks are extremely corny.

Comic books being "kids stuff" all changed in the '80s. (Thank you, Frank Miller.)

This new Superman flick looks like it has enough poignancy and intelligence to please adults, while still being appropraite for kids. I can't wait to take my kids to see this.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 AM

7,933 posts, read 7,293,210 times
Was always a big fan of CR had huge crush right up till his role in Death Trap, he was a wonderful Superman in his time. Bring on Cavill, I am so looking forward to the new take on the series with this actor. I was so thrilled for the new direction the Batman series took with Dark Knight, I'm even more thrilled looking at the newer version I'm seeing in the clips of SM. Only time will tell if it lives up to the trailers, (hype) but, I'm willing to keep an open mind. Looks real good. Those muscles definitely don't look cgi, me thinks worth the price of admission.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Donner's Superman was great for its time, but it is still very much a kids movie. Back then, all comic books and super heroes were considered "kids stuff." So yes, great as Christopher Reeve was in the role (and he truly was magnificent), all of those Supes flicks are extremely corny.

Comic books being "kids stuff" all changed in the '80s. (Thank you, Frank Miller.)

This new Superman flick looks like it has enough poignancy and intelligence to please adults, while still being appropraite for kids. I can't wait to take my kids to see this.
I totally agree!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 AM

6,264 posts, read 10,358,097 times
D. Scott: You know why the newer comic book based movies are more serious?
Because, there are no other good action movies so Hollywood had to turn the comic books into CGI driven serious action flicks.
So you are saying none of the more recent super hero movies had any "cornball" scenes? Spider-man? Iron Man, Fantastic Four? No corn at all?

CitizenKane: I won't argue with you or your taste in men but good to know what turns you on!
Christoper Reeve was a real athlete who didn't have any half naked scene, not the style of 80s super hero movies, he had muscle though and his natural physique was way more like a "Greek Statue" than your pretty boy Cavill who has the looks and acting skills of an aftershave commercial actor, who has an average body, goes on a diet and a body building boot camp to get pump in a few weeks. Recall Gerard Butler and his mates from 300, remember their bodies? Like a Greek...err, I mean Spartan statue, right?
Who cares if you have an excellent vision when your perception is so clouded and narrow?

Also, how dare you dis G. Hackman! This is the problem with the younger generation today, no appreciation for the history, for the evolution of movie making. Again, do you think the same number of people will be watching this new Superman in 2048?

One question, in the picture that CitizenKane posted he has facial hair but in the trailer he had none, does that mean he can shave? Is he using Gilette's "Super" model made out of Krypton steel?

Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
D. Scott: You know why the newer comic book based movies are more serious?
Because, there are no other good action movies so Hollywood had to turn the comic books into CGI driven serious action flicks.
So you are saying none of the more recent super hero movies had any "cornball" scenes? Spider-man? Iron Man, Fantastic Four? No corn at all?

CitizenKane: I won't argue with you or your taste in men but good to know what turns you on!
Christoper Reeve was a real athlete who didn't have any half naked scene, not the style of 80s super hero movies, he had muscle though and his natural physique was way more like a "Greek Statue" than your pretty boy Cavill who has the looks and acting skills of an aftershave commercial actor, who has an average body, goes on a diet and a body building boot camp to get pump in a few weeks. Recall Gerard Butler and his mates from 300, remember their bodies? Like a Greek...err, I mean Spartan statue, right?
Who cares if you have an excellent vision when your perception is so clouded and narrow?

Also, how dare you dis G. Hackman! This is the problem with the younger generation today, no appreciation for the history, for the evolution of movie making. Again, do you think the same number of people will be watching this new Superman in 2048?

One question, in the picture that CitizenKane posted he has facial hair but in the trailer he had none, does that mean he can shave? Is he using Gilette's "Super" model made out of Krypton steel?
Dude I was at the movies when the first Donner Superman hit the theatre. Itwas cool for its time. But it was still corny..."especially Hackman. ....and for the reasons I already spelled out. as far as acting skill is concerned, I dont recall Reeve doing a whole lot past Superman. And what little he did was good but not great.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:09 PM

4,923 posts, read 3,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 AM

6,911 posts, read 4,482,995 times
Default Holy S***

Man of Steel - "Fate of Your Planet" Official Trailer [HD] - YouTube

Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 AM

7,933 posts, read 7,293,210 times
Cool first time seeing that trailer.

I already have my ticket.
Attached Thumbnails
Man of Steel - New Superman movie-superman100_0287.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies