U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:51 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,509,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
The Dark Knight Reigns. I had such high hopes for this movie, I left the theatre with a headache, no plot, no story,just a bunch of computer generated graphics, lacked realism, a waste of time and money. I've waited so long for a better Superman movie just to be let down. Seems the movie will have a part 2, maybe it can be resurrected, I will not hold my breath. It is unfortunate for the DC comic hero.

What a crock, Metropolis was obliterated, totally destroyed by Zod where millions upon millions of innocent people were killed, Superman couldn't save but 5 of them, lmao, and the very next day Clark Kent shows up at the Daily Planet as a reporter, wow, Metropolis was built in a matter of minutes/hours. Movie was a total disappointment.
I learn long ago that when I watch action movies, I try to avoid trying to make sense of things. I just go along and enjoy the ride. I find myself enjoying a movie much more. If I sat there and go over every little thing that doesn't make sense of it all or being critical about every detail thing about the movie....yeah, it would completely lessen the enjoyment. Action movies are like rides from 6 Flags, sit back, relax and just enjoy the ride.

For me, Man of Steel is a pretty simple, straight forward, no brainer action movie with lots of action/violence...nothing more, nothing less. It won't cure cancer, it won't expand my knowledge of the world, it won't inspire me to do something great.....it is what it is...a simple mindless action movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 AM

42,237 posts, read 49,783,147 times
This movie was panned by critics and I have a feeling I know why.

Hollywood would be dead if it weren't for comic books, teen lit, and remakes.
Pathetic.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:43 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,237,614 times
The film started out good, and had a strong 2nd act, but it really turned into a nonsensical mess with extremely cheesy dialogue at the end. 7/10.

We'll probably see 2 possibly 3 sequels. With the Christ-like take on this version of Superman, I'm pretty sure the third movie in this series will have Doomsday.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:10 AM

3,823 posts, read 2,374,097 times
If they write it correctly (I know, I know, that is a big if), I want to see Darkseid. But, DC is already late on this because we know in the next Avengers, Marvel's Darkseid doppelganger, Thanos, is going to be in it. Superman cant fight Lex Luther in every movie, so if you are going to interpret Superman as very, very powerful, you have to go to his more powerful enemies in his rogus gallery...

Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 AM

764 posts, read 1,526,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
I learn long ago that when I watch action movies, I try to avoid trying to make sense of things. I just go along and enjoy the ride. I find myself enjoying a movie much more. If I sat there and go over every little thing that doesn't make sense of it all or being critical about every detail thing about the movie....yeah, it would completely lessen the enjoyment. Action movies are like rides from 6 Flags, sit back, relax and just enjoy the ride.

For me, Man of Steel is a pretty simple, straight forward, no brainer action movie with lots of action/violence...nothing more, nothing less. It won't cure cancer, it won't expand my knowledge of the world, it won't inspire me to do something great.....it is what it is...a simple mindless action movie.
I concur, the man of doldrum is nothing more than computer generated gaff for the simple minded.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:45 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,576,650 times
Quote:

There's a big difference between mindless entertainment and mindless good entertainment. Die Hard, Predator, Terminator 2, Rambo, .....were all GOOD mindless entertainment. Movies these days are terrible ever since they all started to be influenced by Michael Bay.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:36 PM

15,086 posts, read 19,729,078 times
Saw it this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. I really loved the first 2/3 of the movie. The latter third was still good, but the mayhem went way overboard and some very cheesey dialogue creeped in toward the end. Far FAR better than the last Batflick.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:46 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,605,012 times
Edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Over all, I think it was a fantastic alien invasion movie, but superman who? Go for the theatrics, but not so much if you are looking for a newer greater take on the Superman series. It's possible they may improve on it in time, it had potential, but it was just over the place in this first installment
I've been quite bored with superhero movies (mostly, Marvel) and had no desire to see this until I saw Zod in the previews.

Part of the reason that I really enjoyed the movie was because it was darn near straight sci fi, with a little superhero thrown in. I do think it had a more interesting, gritty take, at least, on the movie side of Superman, but there was nothing mind blowing. Certainly, the movie has its problems, and frankly, I come up with more questions about things that were glossed over. And I always enjoy a game of "spot the relatively obscure sci fi actor." I had the lowest expectations going in, and I think I enjoyed it more than the 5 others who accompanied me.

Given the CGI, this wasn't a movie that could have been done in '79 , '83, etc. However, I wonder what they'll do for the next movie. In terms of villain recognition, Lex Luthor makes the most sense, but how do you do a structurally similar movie with a character that can't evenly, physically fight the hero? How would non comic/cartoon fans respond to Bizarro, Darkseid, or someone else, and do it without it being a climactic rehash of the first movie? Does this movie even need a sequel, story-wise?

Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 AM

10,654 posts, read 11,348,357 times
Quote:
My wife and I just got back. Really enjoy this movie. Hands down our favorite comic hero movies. I liked it more than the Batman series, more than the Iron Man series, Captain America movie, and Avenger movie as well.

9.5/10 Stars.
Lets not go over board

Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 AM

10,654 posts, read 11,348,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
The Dark Knight Reigns. I had such high hopes for this movie, I left the theatre with a headache, no plot, no story,just a bunch of computer generated graphics, lacked realism, a waste of time and money. I've waited so long for a better Superman movie just to be let down. Seems the movie will have a part 2, maybe it can be resurrected, I will not hold my breath. It is unfortunate for the DC comic hero.

What a crock, Metropolis was obliterated, totally destroyed by Zod where millions upon millions of innocent people were killed, Superman couldn't save but 5 of them, lmao, and the very next day Clark Kent shows up at the Daily Planet as a reporter, wow, Metropolis was built in a matter of minutes/hours. Movie was a total disappointment.

We really don't know how much time has elapsed...could be a year......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies