Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:24 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,517,767 times

Advertisements

They should have had a credit ending scene to tie up some loose ends.....

A lot of things could have been laid down for sequels or a shared universe.

They could have tied up so many things.....

Where the heck is Zod's body?? Did Lexcorp take it???

After seeing mankind almost going to dust, would we not see a super secret organization like Cadmus or Checkmate being formed???

How about this.....a morning paper is sitting on a silver tray......a hand picks it up (we never see the face) and unfolds it. The Headlines read "End of the World Averted" , with a photo of this new Superman. Then we hear the deep voice of the man mutter lowly, "Hmmm.....this changes everything.." Still Never seeing his face (camera still POV on headline) we suddenly hear a British voice call out, "Master Wayne, the telephone".

Fade to black..............

Audience would have gone bananas!!!

That alone would have set up so many things! Doesn't mean Batman has to be in the next MOS......just let's us know that there's a lot to be excited about in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 AM

22,893 posts, read 28,167,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Part of the reason that I really enjoyed the movie was because it was darn near straight sci fi, with a little superhero thrown in. I do think it had a more interesting, gritty take, at least, on the movie side of Superman, but there was nothing mind blowing. Certainly, the movie has its problems, and frankly, I come up with more questions about things that were glossed over. And I always enjoy a game of "spot the relatively obscure sci fi actor." I had the lowest expectations going in, and I think I enjoyed it more than the 5 others who accompanied me.
Ditto. Exactly what you said.

Quote:
However, I wonder what they'll do for the next movie. In terms of villain recognition, Lex Luthor makes the most sense, but how do you do a structurally similar movie with a character that can't evenly, physically fight the hero?
Well, they already hinted at that. Several vehicles in the big fight scene has LEXCORP on them, and I saw the Wayne Corp logo on the satellite. (Although after the last truly horrid Batman flick, I hope they keep him well away from this story.)

They should do Lex next, because he is Superman's arch-enemy. Not because he can beat Superman in a fight. He can't. Lex is a manipulator and a power-monger, something of which Superman has no experience. He's the perfect choice.

Quote:
How would non comic/cartoon fans respond to Bizarro, Darkseid, or someone else, and do it without it being a climactic rehash of the first movie?
Well, I am a comics fan, and I don't want to see any of that. Darkseid would just end up another Armageddon level fist-fest. We've seen that. Do something new. Bizarro is just too weird.

Quote:
Does this movie even need a sequel, story-wise?
Sure. We got to see Superman born in the first movie. Now we need to see him come of age. Given the bucks the movie is raking in, a sequel is almost guaranteed.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:45 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,942,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
[/b]

We really don't know how much time has elapsed...could be a year......
I was being facetious, ‘next day’ was not meant literally. I just found it funny and odd that in the wake such devastation, mass destruction and loss of life in Metropolis the movie quickly fast forwards to the end where we see a cheery Clark Kent and Company at the Daily Planet as if nothing ever happened there. Suffices to say, your credit ending scenes are much more thought provoking than Snyder's, oh wait, Snyder’s are non-existent. We’ll have to wait and see if a sequel will make sense of this mess.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:53 AM

Even though I liked this movie much more than I thought I would --- and it was a freakin miracle compared to the rest of Snyder's work --- I really hope they get another director for the sequel. Let Snyder go back to making his murky Greek video game movies.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,653,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Just watched Man of Steel last night. I thought the movie was great. My second favorite of this summer's blockbusters behind Star Trek Into Darkness.
Same here. I thought it was a wonderful origin story: extremely moving in many ways and beautifully imagined overall. Yes, the fight sequences ran long but the casting was excellent and I loved the whole "YANA" in the universe aspect.
And it dispensed with one of the silliest tropes in superhero mythology right from the beginning. And the military was actually competent.
Big kudos for that.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:42 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,143,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
I learn long ago that when I watch action movies, I try to avoid trying to make sense of things. I just go along and enjoy the ride. I find myself enjoying a movie much more. If I sat there and go over every little thing that doesn't make sense of it all or being critical about every detail thing about the movie....yeah, it would completely lessen the enjoyment. Action movies are like rides from 6 Flags, sit back, relax and just enjoy the ride.

For me, Man of Steel is a pretty simple, straight forward, no brainer action movie with lots of action/violence...nothing more, nothing less. It won't cure cancer, it won't expand my knowledge of the world, it won't inspire me to do something great.....it is what it is...a simple mindless action movie.
True, but it also won't entertain me, either.

Mindless, you say? Well, I kinda like having that sense stimulated as well when watching a movie. This one didn't.

Action, you say? Absolutely. It had that in spades. And then some more. And a little more. And let's some more right here between these action scenes. And just a few more.... what was the plot, again?

Not poking at your post or opinion, but it had all the parts I really wanted to comment on. Sorry.

Movies like these are subjective in terms of enjoyment, but I'm - personally - really getting tired of sacrificing a movie's plot for CGI, simply because they can.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 AM

9,240 posts, read 9,721,750 times
Why are those Kryptonians Caucasian with Germanic looking?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Why are those Kryptonians Caucasian with Germanic looking?
You didn't get the whole "racial cleansing" / "genocide" / "master race" thing from the movie? See the connection?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,760,764 times
Why do we need a Superman "reboot"?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,143,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Why do we need a Superman "reboot"?
Because Hollywood doesn't have the talent to come up with anything original anymore. Hence the endless sequels and reboots.

"Hey, let's take something that everyone loved, and that made lots of money, and redo it with lots and lots of CGI for the newer generation to 'ooh' and 'aah' at. And if it doesn't make any money (mainly because we forgot the plot, bad script, wrong focus, etc.) then we'll just wait a few more years, hire some different actors, directors, screenwriters and do it again until we have our blockbuster."

"Wouldn't that time, money and effort be better spent on doing something original?"

"I'm sorry, but we in Lala-land are unfamiliar with that word - o-rig-in-al. Does it have anything to do with the roman numerals greater than 5 at the end of a sequel title?"

"Nevermind."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies