Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 07:59 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see this movie? It just opened yesterday. It is a film directed by Emelio Estevez and stars his dad Martin Sheen. It is the story of a Calif Doctor (Sheen) who travels to France to recover the remains of his son (Estevez) killed while hiking the Camino De Santiago trail. Which is a 500 mile trail in Spain. Many hike this trail as sort of a quest or pilgrimage. Sheen decides to deal with his sorrow by hiking the trail himself for his son, and the story begins from there.

It was a decent film could have been better, but none the less was a good meaningful film. Which is so rare in this day and age. I'm not sure but the film may only be playing in certain cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 11:08 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
I saw it yesterday in Westminster, CO. Excellent movie! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I saw it yesterday in Westminster, CO. Excellent movie! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes very good movie glad you enjoyed it. Its a shame more films with such substance and meaning, are not being made in this day and age. I guess we can all figure out why but still its a shame. Thankfully at least The Way was released for those of us that like such films.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:29 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,256 times
I am from Santiago de Compostela so I do want to see this movie. Emilio Estévez's paternal grandfather (Martin Sheen's father) was from Galicia, the capital city (town) of which is Santiago, and I guess that has a lot to do with him deciding to go with this story.

Last edited by noela; 10-11-2011 at 04:47 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 08:02 AM

A lot of people call this a religious movie. I guess in a way it is but I didn't really get that from it. I got that it was about faith in oneself, learning to live with certain things or finding the strength to change things about oneself or one's life. As Sarah says when they get to the coastline, it was never about quitting smoking. Tom starts out so closed off to possibilities and at the end he's not only hiked the Camino, he's off doing other things too.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
I am from Santiago de Compostela so I do want to see this movie. Emilio Estévez's paternal grandfather (Martin Sheen's father) was from Galicia, the capital city (town) of which is Santiago, and I guess that has a lot to do with him deciding to go with this story.

I didn't know Martin Sheen's father was from Spain. Thank you for the information. Yes perhaps that fact does have something to do with him wanting to make the film. You live in a beautiful country and I must visit it someday. I love to walk and exercise but I doubt I could do a 500 mile walk. I admire all the people that complete those 500 miles.

Yes you must see this movie.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
A lot of people call this a religious movie. I guess in a way it is but I didn't really get that from it. I got that it was about faith in oneself, learning to live with certain things or finding the strength to change things about oneself or one's life. As Sarah says when they get to the coastline, it was never about quitting smoking. Tom starts out so closed off to possibilities and at the end he's not only hiked the Camino, he's off doing other things too.

Yes I got the exact same impression. I didn't really get the feeling it was a religious movie, but i could understand some feeling that.

The film definitely touched on finding the strength in oneself to change. To come out of a slump in one's life, and then move on to greater things and challenges.

I have to admit though I got sick of watching Sarah smoke her cigarettes, as I can't stand them anywhere near me. I was hoping she would throw the whole pack into the ocean and be done with them. Didn't go that way though.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:23 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I didn't know Martin Sheen's father was from Spain. Thank you for the information. Yes perhaps that fact does have something to do with him wanting to make the film. You live in a beautiful country and I must visit it someday. I love to walk and exercise but I doubt I could do a 500 mile walk. I admire all the people that complete those 500 miles.

Yes you must see this movie.
I've only walked a very small portion of El Camino (O Camiño in Galician) because, well, it felt weird to walk so much just to come home (stupid excuse, I know lol) but I know people who walked all the way from the South of France, and some have done it twice. Apparently it's an experience that most find hard to forget because of the pilgrims (many of them non-religious, it has to be said) you meet, and because of all the emotions (including how you fight with yourself and your physical exhaustion not to take a bus somewhere! But it's also a great time to reflect on things back home or just to relax and let things go). It's pretty much of a personal journey. I'm guessing the movie deals with this sort of stuff?

Anyway, I'll see it, of course!

Old 10-12-2011, 01:04 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
I'm kind of interested in it. Sometimes Sheen goes a bit out there, but his heart's often in the right place and I admire some things he does.

And yeah Sheen is of mixed Spanish/Galician and Irish descent. His original surname is "Estevez", he got "Sheen" from "Bishop Sheen", and he's stated regret that he didn't use his real surname in acting. (As well as pleasure that Emilio does go by that surname, although I guess Charlie Sheen has acknowledged that he considers his "real name" to be Carlos Estevez in that dispute where he called Chuck Lorre by his Jewish-name)

Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes I got the exact same impression. I didn't really get the feeling it was a religious movie, but i could understand some feeling that.

The film definitely touched on finding the strength in oneself to change. To come out of a slump in one's life, and then move on to greater things and challenges.

I have to admit though I got sick of watching Sarah smoke her cigarettes, as I can't stand them anywhere near me. I was hoping she would throw the whole pack into the ocean and be done with them. Didn't go that way though.
And what is up with Kara Unger's figure?! Did she just recover from some life threatening illness or personal trauma? I've never seen anyone that thin and still walking upright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies