Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Most overrated Oscar Winner for Best Picture in my book: The Sound of Music. One of the most overrated movies ever. But I know I'm in the minority, and everyone else on this planet loves it, blah blah blah, but I had to cast my vote. I must be missing the "love the Sound of Music" gene, sorry.

Close second place winner for most overrated Oscar Winner: The English Patient. Painful, excruciatingly painful to sit through. I wanted to stick a fork in my eye. I wanted that 2 1/2 hours of my life back.
YES!!!

Yes!! The English Patient... seriously, it needed to die on the table. Horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 06:28 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
I meant 'The Sting' over 'American Graffiti' in 1973; sorry about that.

'Braveheart' over 'Apollo 13' was ridiculous.

'Titanic' over 'LA Confidential' was preposterous.

'The English Patient' over 'Shine' was also a farce.

I don't think either of the first two 'Godather' movies should have won; 'Cabaret' won 8 Oscars including Best Director for Bob Fosse but didn't win for Best Picture, and 'Chinatown' should have won over 'The Godfather, Part II' IMHO.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
More recently, I thought Crash and the Hurt Locker were completely overrated. And Gladiator. Blah.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:58 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
It's funny what people like and don't like. LOL.

Re Gladiator. It sure has made a ton of money. Was supposed to be a payback for Russell Crowe not winning for The Insider which was an excellent movie. He gave an Oscar winning performance in that movie. There have been tons of movies over the years which have been historically inaccurate but they sure were entertaining. That is what movies are all about, IMO>

L.A. Confidential that was a wonderful movie, casting, story, sets, costumes....just good.

No Country for Old Men one of my all time favorites and glad it won,if for nothing else, for the opening scene/shot. One of the best movies ever to me.

Ones I liked, though were they Oscar material? I don't know but I was entertained. Crash, Hurt Locker, The English Patient (though many wanted him to hurry up and die), Titanic.

I have never seen any of the Rocky series and don't intend to. I like Rambo and some of his other movies. I loved Tango and Cash. Pure entertainment....LOL.

I loved the original True Grit and will never watch the new True Grit. Why bother ?

I think Terms of Endearment has stood the test of time somewhat.

I liked many of the movies that others mentioned, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction. I have watched many times The Sting and American Grafitti (sp)

I guess I just like to be entertained and don't really care too much about the Oscars. I like what I like and perceptions are different for everyone. I would not dare tell someone else their choices are crap...LOL.

Very interesting thread and has made me think about some movies that I had forgotten about and think about the ones I would go back and watch again.

ps-I didn't see Forrest Gump when it first came out. Saw it a few years later and sort of liked it....watched it a couple of more times and have really come to like that movies. Why ? I don't know, I just do.

Saving Private Ryan was okay but only because I didn't find Tom Hanks believable in the part. Could not get past that. The blockbuster scene in that movie was when the mother looked out the window and watched the car coming up the road. When she went out on the porch and just sunk down, it was a very powerful moment......

But, it's all about different strokes for different folks...

Old 11-19-2011, 04:45 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Only Oscar winner I can remember watching and not seeing it to the end was "Chariots of Fire". The fact that no one has even mentioned it thus far bears out my opinion.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
That Best Picture win for 'Chariots of Fire' was a huge surprise, but definitely a nice surprise for me; the other four nominees for Best Picture that year (Atlantic City/Raiders Of The Lost Ark/On Golden Pond/Reds) ranked any where from so-so to exceptional in my book, and I freally expected 'Reds' to win for Best Picture after Warren Beatty won the Best Director Oscar for that very ambitious movie.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
American Graffiti over The Sting in 1973 was ridiculous.

But the ultimate outrage for me remains Titanic preposterously beating LA Confidential in 1997.

Oh, I agree!!!! LA Confidential was a masterpiece. Every single thing about it was superb. Now, I love period films but Titanic was so botched and stupid and idiotic, I was humiliated for the filmmaker through the whole thing. Tell me what young turn-of-the-century aristocratic young woman flips the bird, spits, or says "whatever" like a Valley Girl? NONE, that's what. Can't these producers afford to hire historical consults, so they don't make embarrassing mistakes like that? Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio were both horrible (and I've seen them both be great in other films). Ugh. I have to stop. I just hated that movie so much, aside from the egregious fact that it beat out the much more deserving LA Confidential.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Titanic does have alot of parallels with Gone with the Wind. Both are basically love stories in the form of epics, set during a time of trouble, where the two main characters don't end up together.

I actually think Titanic is still a great film to watch. The sinking scene was probably the best , but of course not something one would celebrate. It's more than just an empty spectacle, imo, the storyline was fairly compelling although at times it did drag on.
Oh Good Lord - don't ever mention Titanic in the same breath as Gone With the Wind, let alone compare them, let alone claim they have many parallels!

SPIT!

Gone With the Wind was an absolute masterpiece; Titanic was a piece of crap.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:11 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Oh Good Lord - don't ever mention Titanic in the same breath as Gone With the Wind, let alone compare them, let alone claim they have many parallels!

SPIT!

Gone With the Wind was an absolute masterpiece; Titanic was a piece of crap.
I'm probably in the minority here, but I found Gone with the Wind over-rated and boring. It is too long for my tastes...

Then again, I also didn't like Casablanca...

A lot of these older movies don't age well. Or maybe I just can't get into that genre of film.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:11 PM

668 posts, read 994,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Rocky (1976)

I think it's overrated and it spawned many pretty clone-like sequels. It's basically like any other underdog movie but I found Stallone's character sort of plastic/unconvincing. It was so predictable, as it was meant to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Rocky -- when you consider that it won over Network, All The President's Men, and Bound for Glory -- is an abomination!
In defense of Rocky, that first film was a classic and I make no bones about supporting it as a Best Picture winner. Yes, it beat out some pretty great movies, but put it in the context of the year it won. It came out of nowhere, had a budget of only $1 million, and Sylvester Stallone was an unknown who not only starred in the movie, but wrote it as well. Rocky wasn't about an underdog - Rocky WAS the underdog. And when people complain about it being predictable, I think they are confusing it with all the imitations and knockoffs that came afterwards. What people seem to forget is that in the end of the movie, Rocky LOSES THE FIGHT. (sorry- no spoiler warnings for 35 year old movies) How many other "predictable underdog" movies are there where the protagonist loses the big fight/match/game at the end?

Also, I don't expect many people saw the sequel Rocky Balboa from a couple of years ago, but the most amazing scene takes place during that film's closing credits. The directors had intended to get a shot over the city from the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum, otherwise known as the famous "Rocky Steps" from the first movie. To their astonishment, they wound up filming dozens upon dozens of people spontaneously recreating the famous scene - sprinting up the stairs, throwing their arms up at the top, and then jumping up and down in triumph. These were people of all ages and ethnicities, from numerous countries, kids with parents who were kids themselves when the movie came out. I doubt you'll find anyone maintaining a similar visceral connection after all these years to Network, All the President's Men or Bound for Glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies