Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:37 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times

Advertisements

I just learned this.

We rented "Bad Teacher" tonight---should get the award for the stupidest, nastiest, none funny movie this year----and before we put the DVD into play you had a choice of ''theater version'' or the ''unrated version.'' Being adults for many years----too many to count---we watched the unrated version. Yuck and WTH?

If parents do not know, they are thinking their teens are watching the version they might have seen at the movies not knowing how bad the other version is. Sending their teens off to the basement to watch it, not thinking it will be THAT bad.

Is this happening to a lot of movies? ANOTHER thing for parents to watch out for. Cameron Diez and Justin Timberlake should be ashamed they were in this dog. It sees to be a movie for B actors headed down and out. I can see it for Diez but I thought Timberlake was just starting to act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 04:23 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I just learned this.

We rented "Bad Teacher" tonight---should get the award for the stupidest, nastiest, none funny movie this year----and before we put the DVD into play you had a choice of ''theater version'' or the ''unrated version.'' Being adults for many years----too many to count---we watched the unrated version. Yuck and WTH?

If parents do not know, they are thinking their teens are watching the version they might have seen at the movies not knowing how bad the other version is. Sending their teens off to the basement to watch it, not thinking it will be THAT bad.

Is this happening to a lot of movies? ANOTHER thing for parents to watch out for. Cameron Diez and Justin Timberlake should be ashamed they were in this dog. It sees to be a movie for B actors headed down and out. I can see it for Diez but I thought Timberlake was just starting to act.
Um, isn't the movie (theatrical version) rated R? Why are teens presumably under 18 being sent off to watch a rated R movie? Aren't parents smart enough to NOT let their underage children watch rated R movies? Isn't that why the rating system was created for a reason? Doesn't "unrated" automatically mean that it's going to be raunchier than a R rating ('unrated" doesn't mean it's okay for kids of all ages, after all...)

the issue here, like in so many instances, isn't the movie, but questionable parenting

Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 PM

417 posts, read 365,570 times
Been watching rated R movies since I was a kid. If your children aren't retarded they should be able to handle them without going off and depicting what they see in real life.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:05 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Been watching rated R movies since I was a kid. If your children aren't retarded they should be able to handle them without going off and depicting what they see in real life.
Lol.

You could pretty much tell from the trailer alone what you were getting into with this movie!

(which is why I didn't want to see it lol)

Old 11-30-2011, 07:06 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
I thought Timberlake was just starting to act.

Just starting? Where have you been?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:13 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Yeah hes been in atleast a dozen movies/shows for the past half a decade.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Yuck and WTH?
Sounds like a good movie. Might have to rent it for this weekend.

Quote:
Is this happening to a lot of movies?
In older movies, they were not rated by the MPAA and thus are unrated.

In newer movies, having an unrated version means that there is additional content that was added in after a rating was given. Instead of spending extra money to get it re-rated, they just label it "unrated". Could mean anything from violence, to nudity, to even just a regular scene that was merely added in after-the-fact.

For movies like 'Bad Teacher', the additional content will usually be in the "zomigod raunchy" category.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,245 times
If this is really for "B actors headed down and out" then I think the casting was spot on with Cameron Diaz and Timberlake. Never been a big Timberlake fan and Cameron Diaz headed downhill LONG time ago in her career!! All the "look at me I am a cute, dumb and playful blonde" gets old surprisingly fast, this is coming from a guy who likes blondes!!

Just my $0.02.

Quote:
Cameron Diez and Justin Timberlake should be ashamed they were in this dog. It sees to be a movie for B actors headed down and out. I can see it for Diez but I thought Timberlake was just starting to act.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Sounds like a good movie. Might have to rent it for this weekend.

You will be dissapointed. It is not good. As far as Timberlake goes, he is a talented actor. If you want to see a good movie he played, check out Alpha Dog.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:59 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Quote:
I just learned this.

I saw "Bad Teacher" a couple weeks ago and thought it was hilarious. I also think the line, "Dammit, Squirrel!" should be added to our American pop lexicon as soon as possible. Maybe it could become the new "Make my Day" or "Say hello to my leeettle frien'".
Hey, look, it was a dark comedy, not Shakespeare. When you rent a movie called "Bad Teacher" with picture of a hungover Cameron Diaz in shades sprawled behind her desk on the cover, you should pretty much be sure ya ain't gonna be viewing Doctor Zhivago.
Lastly, the non-rated versions? Yeah, that's been a fairly common option for DVD features in the "raunchy comedy" genre for the past several years. And I would like to think that most parents watching those types of movies with their kids (not a bloody likely scenario in the first place, though) would be savvy enough to realize that that version is gonna have more T&A and gross-out stuff than the theatrical version.
This all boils down to the common sense of choice. And--although I realize this might be too much to ask--to maybe having the audacity to suggest that a parent could take a few minutes out of her time to pre-view the DVD before popping those Xanax and watching it with little Jacob and Emily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies