U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM

3,360 posts, read 3,217,976 times
Default Scary movie Reviews...(To include sci-fi)

There's so many nich'e threads on here, that unless what you have to share fits into the unique theme...your post might seem off topic...

So I just want to create a thread where all you do is review or rate a scary movie or sci-fi flick that you've watched.

Any movie, any era...just simply write a review on it...

scare factor

gore factor (to much gore, to little?)

special effects

believability

acting

Was movie predictable?

Was story line original vs recycled?

Did you watch in theater or DVD or other?

If you were director, how would you have made it better?

Musical score, did it help or hurt the movie?

Just some general questions to ask about the movie your trying to review...

And with that...I'll do a quick review of an older scary movie I saw last night...

White Noise 2 (2005)

They took a story or theme, that once had a very late night, mysterious, dark allure to it, and basically turned it into a day time, mainstream Kellogs cereal, family fun production...

I was greatly disappointed...

The movie had more of a family friendly 'Poltergiest' feel to it...unlike the White Noise 1, which really had a believable creepy element feel.

Scare factor: the only way they could scare you in this movie was to use cheap 'boo' 'gatcha' moments...like when someone pops a paper bag behind your head....well heck I could be watching 3's company and jump, if someone did that...

To me, scary is the over all tone of the movie, not 'gotcha' moments when something pops out the closet and sudden increase in volume...

gore factor: There is no gore in this movie...it's very family friendly...almost had a disney feel to it...

special effects: The effects were decent...almost a waste though, as the plot just seemed goofy

believability: Felt more like a cartoon...or comic book story turned movie

acting: The acting was decent...but good acting wasn't enough to over come the goofiness of the plot

predictability: Very predictible...movies where you can predict the lines before they even say them are an insult to the audience...

Originality of story: They took a once mysterious phenominam, and main streamed it, turned it into a big, family friendly production thus removing the scare factor...

Musical score or sound effects: Decent...

Purchased the DVD version...

And finally...if I had directed or produced White Noise 2...
I would have gone for quality over volume...nich'e over sales...

In other words, like what happens to many big budget flops, is that they sold out...instead of keeping it in the late night Art Bell realm, they choose to turn it into a day time 'Good morning America' type production...

And as a result it flopped, at least to me it did...even took on a kind of super hero tone...and I was like 'And this is suppose to be scary?'....

What often kills sequels is 'expectations'....people who watched White noise 1, had certain expectations of the second release...

White Noise 2 should of been released seperate and apart from the first one...seperate title and premise...then it might have done better...cause then you wouldn't have expectations of it, based on the first one...

It was mildly entertaining though...and I think those who never saw the first one might like it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 PM

6,336 posts, read 7,947,760 times
Default Just re-watched Rosemary's Baby

scare factor
Very scary in a "quiet" way, which I think can be much more scary than an over-the-top fright-fest. Holds up very well over the years. It starts out with so much brightness and "normalcy" and slowly, quietly, becomes sinister.

gore factor (to much gore, to little?)
No gore. None needed.

special effects
None, except drugged dream sequences. This movie didn't need gore or special effects. What you make up in your head is way scarier than what they could put on-screen if they chose to. The one exception was the needless flash of the devil's face in the rape scene; it was not necessary at all, and what I might see in my mind would have been scarier.

believability
The story is internally consistent, even if you don't believe in the devil. The movie took place in the present time (1968), and in New York City, not is some far-away isolated place, making the viewer think, "this could happen anywhere with people who seem normal." The building they used is a real apartment building (the Dakota)that has its own stories of haunting, curses, and tragedy, so it's only a small jump to think devil worshippers could live there.

acting
To me, I thought it was good in general. Mia Farrow is truly innocent and you follow her through the whole story, learning things as she learns them, and you really identify with her. The husband was forgettable. Ruth Gordon was wonderful: both silly and creepy and scary all at once. Charles Grodin, in a smaller part, was wooden. The old guy playing Ruth Gordon's husband was okay, not over-the-top scary. Just an odd old guy who talks a lot, like 500 other old guys you've met. But maybe that was on purpose. The other old people were great, and I believe some of them were old actors who had been famous in the past. They were comical, but that made it somehow creepier that these funny, silly old people could be so evil.

Was movie predictable?
Hard to say. The movie came out so long ago, that everyone knows what happens and how it ends. I don't think all the events in the story as it unfolds are predictable at all. We also have a much different idea of "predictable" now in 2011 than audiences had in 1968. Still, if anything in the movie IS predictable, it doen't detract from the story, or my enjoyment of it.

Was story line original vs recycled?
It was original in its time, though it's been recycled many times since then. We've had many "devil" stories, even "devil's spawn" stories, since Rosemary's Baby came out, most not done so well.

Did you watch in theater or DVD or other?
DVD

If you were director, how would you have made it better?
There was no need to show that one quick flash of the devil's face as Mia Farrow was being raped. Everything else that was frightening in the movie was left for us to picture in our own minds; we didn't need a scary mask with glowing eyes, even for a split second.

Musical score, did it help or hurt the movie?
Definitely helped it. From what I remember, it was childlike, innocent music that seemed creepy in light of what the movie was about.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:52 AM

Default Evil things...

Another 'docu-horror' type movie done in the tradition of Blair witch, and Paranormal activity...

Scare factor or effectiveness...

The premise of this film was indeed scary...and could of been much more scary...minus all the screaming from the female character actors...I found that very annoying...and sometimes wonder if they just throw college age females into movies like this to act dumb and scream...
It's like trying to get into a horror movie with someone scratching their nails on the chalk board...your so annoyed by the high pitch screams, that it takes away from the creepy effect of the movie...
So directors, if your reading this...please lighten up on the dumb pretty blonde screaming routine...it gets old and becomes very distracting...and infact found myself plugging my ears just so I didn't have to hear the high pitch screams...which seemed to all the last 1/3 of the movie contained...

Maybe next time try just casting males, who aren't so proned to screaming all the time, that way we, the audience can focus of the scenes, and not have our ear drums tore apart by annoying high pitched screaming and whining, that directors always seem to make women do in the movies...

gore factor...

Absolutly no gore at all...but the premise of the movie still worked...just goes to show if you have a believable premise or script, you don't need gore to arouse fear in the viewer...

special effects...

None at all what's so ever...other than probaly minor post production screen edits..

believability...

This is where the film scores high...because it deals with human behavior or oddities...it's easy to see how something like this could occur in real life, and probably does...just read the headlines...

acting...

docu-horror acting vs regular horror movie character acting...
In docu-films, the whole point is to not let the viewers think your 'acting'...
So the trick is to act, without seeming to act...to behave as you would in your regular life...but yet make it interesting enough to give people a reason to watch...

They did ok...just a bit to much screaming and over reaction towards the end of the movie by the female cast...
Most women arent that ding battish in real life...but on film, not sure why writers and directors like to portray females as nothing more that screaming emotional wrecks in suspensful situations...
It gets old, tired and predictable...maybe sometimes have the women not scream so much, so that viewer can better concentrate on what's going on in the scenes....

was movie preditctable...

Suprisingly no...you really had no idea where they were going with it...you knew there had to be an evil presence, but wasn't sure if that evil presence would be in the form of a person, or super natural entity...

And to wrap this up...if I were director...I would have cut down on all the screaming near the end...some viewers may find that very annoying...way way less screaming...
And maybe make the female characters behave more rational, and not act like such ding bats...

Also try casting more ordinary looking women...I mean the guys looked believable...but how come in the movies, ordinary looking males always manage to hook up with super gorgious model types...

In real life you don't see such a mis match...but in the movies, geeky guys, always end up going on camping trips with hot model type women...
And as such kind of takes away from the believabilty of the film...

Over all though it was a decent film...and supringly had a unique twist all its own...
And for a $1.00 rental...I definatly feel I got my 4 quarters worth....

Old 02-11-2012, 06:16 AM

Thumbs up Paranormal Activity 3...

I don't know how they do it in this series...but it works, expecially in P-3...

There are yet more 'gottcha' moments, that by now you'd think you know better than to fall for...but they, the writers and directors of these movies, or just that good...

Let me start off by saying...there's a few viewing experiences one can have with this movie or any other...

1.View in a theater around others...

2. View at home, around others...

3. View at home, while all alone, in a quiet dark enviornment...

I suggest viewing this film like #3 suggests, in order to get maximum scare and effect out of P-3...

The scare factor in this movie is real and raw...in other words, like the previous P 1,2, they don't use props like background music to manipulate your mood or loud bursts of sounds to force a reaction out of you...

No music at all what so ever...so the scare you feel is 'real'...and not generated by any korny props...other that the events of the movie...and that takes skill...expecially in this day and age, to be able to do that, to be able to resist the urge to add korny 'scary movie' props...

One of many things I like about the directors and writers of this series, is that they have remained true to the original..P-1...they have done a splended job at resisting going big studio, Hollywood on us...as they did with Blair witch 2, and White noise 2....

This series has remained consistant all the way through...like a book...

Because of the docu-style of filming...they slowly pull you into the movie, like your either thier with them or watching home movies...and it's all within the realm of believability...

The effects are never over the top, are very subtle, yet effective.

It's hard for me to compare Paranormal 3 with the others in the series...I think they were all unique within themselves...

I probably got the most scares out of Part 3 though...and that's rare...cause usually with progession comes predictability...and some how they managed to come up with whole new ways to scare you in this one, yet within the same premise...like 1001 ways to scare someone...

I found all the 'scares' to be fresh and new, nothing was recycled...and again I commend the writers and directors for that...cause in todays big productions, it's almost become normal or expected that you recycle 'scares' from other movies...

The scares in this movie were not predictable, at least to me they weren't.

P-3 is suppose to have taken place in 1988...the films only weakness...
The main house looked and felt totally 90's or newer...
And I think they could have done a bit more to grab that 80's feel, by maybe playing some 80's tune in the background, like on the radio or something...
Even though it was suppose to be the 80's, it didn't really feel that way...other than the VHS equiptment, television and a few other props...

But the film still works...

But unfortunatly...it still leaves you with questions...the way they write these stories...it keeps wanting you to go back further in the past, to continue getting the bigger picture...

This movie definatly gets a big thumbs up from me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies