Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,967 times

Advertisements

Firstly, I'd like to admit that I'm not very well knowledgeable about films and at all.

My question is: In what good films are the displays of nudity and/or sex necessary to a film's storyline or character development?

I've watched films from many countries which display nudity and/or sex but I honestly don't know when the displays of nudity and/or sex add to a film.

Can someone list some good films which display nudity and/or sex and explain why the nudity and/or sex in those films contribute to the storyline or character development?

Thank you.

Last edited by 4201024; 12-21-2011 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 05:25 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,115,959 times
Nudity in movies should echo real life.

As far as what films? Here ya go...

Let me google that for you

Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Nudity in movies should echo real life.

As far as what films? Here ya go...

[URL="http://lmgtfy.com/?q=films+with+nudity"]Let me google that for you[/URL]
If you read my first post you'd know that I'm NOT looking for any films which display sex and/or nudity but instead films in which sex and/or nudity have a purpose.

There are plenty of stupid Hollywood trash films which feature nudity and/or sex just for shock value or publicity and I'm not interested in those at all.

Can anyone else post something more intelligent and reasonable which relate to my initial post?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 PM

18,325 posts, read 18,902,171 times
not everyone wants to watch a film that is PG-13. in life people get naked and have sex just like in the movies. there are many reasons why a movie would have naked people in it or sex scenes. a bit difficult to have a movie about prostitution without sex, difficult to have an adult love story without a little sex. even in comedy a little sex scene can be quite funny. as the saying goes...sex sells. don't like nudity in movies don't go see them.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:05 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
Character development is very important to weaving a story, and the way a character presents him/herself in a sexual situation can reveal a great deal about a relationship in a love story. An example of that, where it was important to see the intimate relationship actually taking place, would be Jane March in "The Lovers". Also, the unsuccessful sex scene in "Muriel's Wedding" played an important part in her character development, although, as I recall, it was done without nudity. "Pillow Book", owing to the nature of the story, could not have been portrayed without nudity.

As for nudity, I think Americans are way, way overboard in their zeal to shield the public from what the human body looks like. There are simply too many people in this country who have been conditioned to get all discombobulated if they see nudity. First we have to get the public to accept nudity as a natural occurrence, and then we can let art imitate life. If kids are shielded from movies with nudity in them, they can sure find other places to view it.

It is true, though, that sex and nudity are often gratuitously built into films, just as car chases are. But really, who goes to a movie now just because somebody says there are some nipple shots in it? If I went through my list of memorable movies at IMDB, I doubt if I could remember which ones had nudity in them.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-21-2011 at 07:20 PM..

Old 12-21-2011, 07:37 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,708,718 times
Humans are skanky, sex obsessed apes and always have been. It's just what we are.

But look at the bright side... at least we don't (usually) throw our poop at each other anymore!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:53 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,811,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Humans are skanky, sex obsessed apes and always have been. It's just what we are.

But look at the bright side... at least we don't (usually) throw our poop at each other anymore!
I just know that .. you're going to make me go to YouTube to prove you wrong!

Well now .. I do see where you said .. (usually)

Old 12-23-2011, 01:49 PM

351 posts, read 629,796 times
In my opinion, nudity is very similar to profanity in movies these days.

The story writing is so bad, they fill it up with nudity and profanity to make up for the shallow story.

Very, very few movies rated G and PG come out these days. But when they do, they're usually a hit. Good writing doesn't need a crutch.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:47 PM

696 posts, read 1,295,965 times
You lost me right there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
In my opinion, nudity is very similar to profanity in movies these days.

I just hate blanket statements like that "Oh our times were the best...now everything is crap" you must be one of the few old farts that troll the forums and gripe about just everything in life and the world today because oh no nothing is like "the old days" anymore!!!

There are plenty of movies that are very good in story/plot etc. and do not necessarily contain either over-the-top violence or nudity, and even if they do, so freaking what; that comes naturally to most people viewing them, just like those things do in everyday life in reality - we curse , we fart and we get drunk and have wild crazy sex with our girlfriend and go down on them happily, so it does not surprise us nor does it bother us to see those happen in movies especially the ones that deal with everyday, average characters!!! What was taboo "yesterday" is not taboo anymore, that's how it has ALWAYS been, and that's how it will ALWAYS be !!! So get over it, the "good old days" are over, time for you to move on or roll over and die and stop complaining about trivial stuff and how everything "just sucks these days"!! Life is great, and its getting better by the hour....accept it or move on !! Merry Christmas !!!

Old 12-23-2011, 05:09 PM

15,469 posts, read 15,433,826 times
I think that most, perhaps all, filmmakers using nudity/sex in their films would assure you that it's necessary in terms of the story or character. On the other hand, American films did a magnificent job prior to the 1960s without direct nudity/sex.

You might sometime take a look at Peter Greenaway's films, as he believes in nudity separate from anything sexual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies