Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:43 AM

24,370 posts, read 22,982,365 times

Advertisements

That little dink Spike Lee made some whiny comments about Hollywood not being diverse enough. Well, its all about money and what people will pay to see. I'd like to see him just focus on a movie once and not try to make it a social statement as a crutch to get people to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 AM

31,988 posts, read 34,536,457 times
This movie sucked. Terrible script, sub-par acting, cheesy intro credits, corny music. Any movie with Ne-Yo and Method Man just can't be taken seriously. At all. Terrence Howard gave speeches the entire film. Cuba Gooding, Jr. was a non-factor. Dude was flying an airplane and notices a beautiful woman from 500 feet above median sea level. Then he's able to track her down and seduce her even though he can't speak a lick of Italian.

C'mon, man! It doesn't get much worse than this.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 AM

696 posts, read 1,298,842 times
LMFAO ... had no plan to see this movie in the first place and you just reconfirmed my decision !! Rep. sent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This movie sucked. Terrible script, sub-par acting, cheesy intro credits, corny music. Any movie with Ne-Yo and Method Man just can't be taken seriously. At all. Terrence Howard gave speeches the entire film. Cuba Gooding, Jr. was a non-factor. Dude was flying an airplane and notices a beautiful woman from 500 feet above median sea level. Then he's able to track her down and seduce her even though he can't speak a lick of Italian.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:25 PM

5,432 posts, read 8,127,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Once Patton got used to having the 761st, here's the speech he gave them when they joined his Third Army in battle:

"Men, you're the first Negro tankers to ever fight in the American Army. I would never have asked for you if you weren't good. I have nothing but the best in my Army. I don't care what color you are as long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sons of *******. Everyone has their eyes on you and is expecting great things from you. Most of all your race is looking forward to your success. Don't let them down and damn you, don't let me down!"
Look at this picture of Patton's pallbearers. The black man is the personal aide (I don't know the correct military nomenclature) who you see in the movie:

http://hommage-general-patton.org/im...n002_large.jpg

Something like this was otherwise unheard of in 1945.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:06 PM

5,432 posts, read 8,127,722 times
I always thought they should make a movie about these WWII pilots. The script would write itself:

Women Pilots in the Army

Old 01-29-2012, 07:53 AM

27 posts, read 76,674 times
Quote:

I didn't see the movie, but a family member told me that the Italian love interest was unattractive and dirt poor. It just seems like this feeds into so many stereotypes. I'm sorry, but the real Tuskegee Airmen had black wives and gf's at home and a community of black people that were very supportive and proud of their massive accomplishments.

To my knowledge, none of this was featured in the film, so the characters came across as one dimensional. You didn't really get to see that these men had lives, spouses, children etc.

Last edited by Alexandria2000; 01-29-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 05:58 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,545,638 times
I figured this movie wasn't very good since they haven't really shown much in the trailers. Just a bunch of dudes going "Whooh" and making random inspiring speeches.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:30 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,708,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Look at this picture of Patton's pallbearers. The black man is the personal aide (I don't know the correct military nomenclature) who you see in the movie:

http://hommage-general-patton.org/im...n002_large.jpg

Something like this was otherwise unheard of in 1945.
The black soldier was Patton's long time orderly, Sgt. Meeks. I believe he was the general's orderly even before the war. and may have been an old cavalryman, like Patton.
Meeks is in a number of scenes in the movie "Patton."

Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 AM

25,803 posts, read 16,451,635 times
Quote:

Thanks, just what I suspected. I'll wait and pay a buck on redbox for it

Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,904,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
He may be a closet racist, don't know, don't care. Like you said, the alien sterotypes in Phantom Menace were all over the place. The "old Jew" sounding guy that sold the speeder parts to Annakin, the Chinese bartering aliens like you said and who could forget Jar Jar.

Maybe he's just trying to race-bait to stir up controversy for his film as publicity. Because as they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

But at the root of it, the problem is - why won't Hollywood fund a movie with an all black cast? Why won't white people pay to go see a movie that stars mainly black people?

Close, but not comissioners - those guys are almost always white as are the captains. The black sergeant is the one who is always screaming, smoking and yelling at our hero cops for blowing up a whole city block to aprehend the perp who dies before they can question him.

Then he is REALLY closet racist. His significant other for several years now is an African American woman;
Mellody Hobson

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies