Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:30 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
for it's time it was one of the most intricately produced film----the 2 main actors were popular in hollywood and as today popularity does not always equal being good at the craft----as for me i loved it as it appealed to my inner desire to be a southern lady(AVIDLY READ AS MANY SOUTHERN ORIENTED BOOKS AS I COULD SINCE I WAS 10)
Vivien Leigh was actually an unknown at the time in the US. Olivia de Havilland was better known at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:53 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Vivien Leigh was actually an unknown at the time in the US. Olivia de Havilland was better known at that time.
That is true. Vivien Leigh was a rising star on the English stage. She had just made an English film called Fire Over England with Laurence Olivier at the time they were considering actresses for the role of Scarlett. Myron Selznick (David O.'s brother) was a Hollywood agent considering Olivier for American representation, and therefore was screening the movie. As he watched the movie (and being well aware of his brothers' casting dilemma), his attention drifted to Leigh's passionate performance, and a bell rang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loczg98wS4g

Old 12-21-2017, 08:55 PM

1,149 posts, read 933,721 times
The worst movie ever? Do not think so. Still iconic and a gem during its time.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:01 PM

934 posts, read 1,127,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Scarlett O'Hara was a crazy, conceited, conniving, sociopathic beeyotch. And she serves as the movie's protagonist?

Then there's Mammy.

"Oh, Miss Scarlett, if you don't eat right nows....oooooh, you gonna make me die Miss Scarlett cuz you knows I cants take the thought of you doing anythang to hurt yourself. I looves this family Miss Scarlett and I dun loves you before I even loved me Miss Scarlett."

"

I believe it's a archetypal literary form. Called the Anti Hero.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:42 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,225,996 times
Gotta watch it in the proper context. A lot of it makes me wince, but Gable's so textbook-great-how-to-be-charming (straight male here) and Leigh and McDaniel are so good and the Technicolor's so gorgeous that I always watch part of it if it's on.
Also always got creeped out when she first returns to Tara after the ride from Atlanta, and the ride itself. Great effect.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:49 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Also always got creeped out when she first returns to Tara after the ride from Atlanta, and the ride itself. Great effect.
And if that scene was well portrayed in the film, the part in Mitchell's book is incredibly drawn. It still gives me chills, years after first reading it.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:11 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,459 times
So don't watch it. I, personally, have loved it since I first saw it when I was about six in the early 60s (they regularly ran it at major theatres so I got to see it on the big screen). But, hey, I didn't like Star Wars (the first one - never saw any of the others). So to each his own.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:45 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And if that scene was well portrayed in the film, the part in Mitchell's book is incredibly drawn. It still gives me chills, years after first reading it.
I remember reading the book when I was a teenager. No wonder it was 1,037 pages long. Mitchell was so descriptive. I marveled at the detail she included. But, the degree of detail was actually ultimately overdone and overwhelming for the average reader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies