Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:53 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Black Swan - what a total waste of time; and Natalie Portman didn't even bother to act in it...she just clenched herself tense the entire movie
Um, what? That was one of the best performances by an actress in a movie that I have seen in a long time. She completely devoted herself in that role including losing a ton of weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 01:02 AM

207 posts, read 284,622 times
In no particular order:

Titanic - total snoozefest for me.

The Notebook - yawn.

Twilight series - I will really never know how this became popular (no, I didn't read the books. Is that why?) I watched the first with my wife and I think my intelligence dropped. The main girl character is just terrible.

The new (prequel) Star Wars - better action scenes don't make a better movie. Sorry Lucas.

The Blind Side - Probably should have enjoyed it, didn't though. Oh well.

Seven Pounds - Will Smith trying so hard, wasn't buying it.

Scream - Sure it accidently revived the slasher genre, but I just couldn't get into it. I'm one of the few that wasn't thrilled on this when it came out.

Saw - I liked the first one. People still praise it (and the awful sequels) as god's gift to horror fans for some reason though... What's that? This one is going to have a twist ending... again?!?!

Sixth Sense - Another one I just couldn't get into.

Sideways - Pretty sure this movie is highly praised as a great comedy. I didn't find it funny or a good watch whatsoever.

And to the guy that said he cannot even give away his copy of "No Country for Old Men," hell, I'd take it!

Old 07-07-2012, 07:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Anything by Woody Allen. I can't really critique them very well because I don't think I ever sat through a whole one, but they seem to just be bored spoiled people in New York City talking to each other because they have no life.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:31 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,520 times
Avatar was ridiculously overrated...a modern day Ferngully

Old 07-07-2012, 06:02 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,170,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Some I find overrated:
The one Batman movie (with Arnold Schwarzenegger and George Clooney)
I've never met anybody who has said they liked this film. It's terrible, but probably not overrated.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:18 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,175,334 times
Hmm, I think it's extraordinarily hard to only choose 10
My list is much, much longer, but I'll keep it short

Titanic
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
The Shining
Inglourious Basterds
Legends Of The Fall
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump
Scarface
Into The Wild
Full Metal Jacket
Aliens

Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
I once watched The Magnificent Seven with the sound turned off on my TV.

Without the soundtrack, the flick was pretty bad. There were interminable periods of watching the seven ride, ride, ride, doing nothing else. This was one instance when a superb music score saved an otherwise mediocre film.

A recent dog that I really disliked was Troy. The 300 was just as bad.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Overrated:

1. Annie Hall (biggest dud I ever saw)
2. Shakespeare In Love (second biggest dud I ever saw)
3. American Beauty (zzzzzzzzz)
4. The Exorcist (Is it over yet?)
5. Star Wars: Return of The Jedi (Shoot me now with the cutesy-poo ewoks!)
6. Gigi (must have been hard up for best picture that year)
7. A Man For All Seasons (zzzzzzz)
8. Lord of The Rings (the first one - never made it past the first one)
9. Gone With The Wind (most hammy acting in a long movie ever)
10. Crash (not a bad movie, just way overrated - definitely not Oscar material)

Actually, the biggest dud I ever saw was a movie called Paycheck with my least favorite actress (Uma Thurman) and my least favorite director (John Woo) and Ben Affleck but no one pretends that movie was great.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:58 AM

261 posts, read 497,148 times
Default Highly Overrated Movies IMO:

I've gone through lists of other posters and found at least a few that were decent that I enjoyed. But here is a list of movies I would literally hate to have to watch again....

Annie Hall (I've tried many times to see what people see in this. I love Woody Allen normally, so this still a mystery why people think this is cool, romantic, or amusing. I experienced none of the above.)

Lord of the Rings (I have tried numerous times to watch this after actually visiting hobbit land, or whatever they call it)

Anything by Stanley Kubrick except for Eyes Wide Shut, which was sexy and captivating.

Anything by Tarantino

Any movie that takes more than 120 minutes (I've passed up so many movies because of the length. I don't want to stay in the theatre for 4 hours. If you can't tell your story within 2 hours, seriously, just rework it until you can)

The one Mel Gibson made about JHC. There was nothing redeeming about that piece of work (the man or the movie, but boy did it make the fundies crawl out of the woodwork)

Sideways - seriously why did this get so much attention? It was pretentious and hip just to say you liked it. Come on!

Sixth Sense - goes to show good marketing can sell anything to anyone. I have friends who are intelligent and eclectic who loved this movie. I just don't get it.

Hangover 1 - it is rare I don't laugh at all during a comedy. This was literally a gross movie. I saw nothing in it that even made me want to laugh. Cringe, yes, continuously, however.

Last edited by coldPlay; 07-17-2012 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: removed the 11th one - I got carried away

Old 12-27-2014, 11:51 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,114,371 times
Sex, Lies and Videotape. Just plain boring. It was nominated for an Academy award. Watched the whole thing waiting for it to get interesting. It never did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies