U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:45 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,498,837 times

Advertisements

IMDB is a worthless website, the only people that vote are the ones that go out of their way to vote and have heavy bias. Not to mention people who haven't even seen the movie often vote and companies can also higher people to keep voting in order to artificially pump up a rating. When max payne first came out it had a IMDB score of 9. Max payne was a god awful movie. People who rate on IMDB have also already paid to see the movie which introduces bias since people have a hard time admitting to the fact that they wasted their money on a bad film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 AM

361 posts, read 273,097 times
just finished watching it. all i can say is interesting.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:16 AM

625 posts, read 553,380 times
You lost all credibility by stating that IMDb is a worthless website. I have been using IMDb as a "general guide" for a couple of years now and it has proven to be a very good community-based website (used by hundreds of thousands of people as obvious from the volume of ratings for many movies) and the user ratings seem to be a pretty good indicator of the popularity/entertainment value offered by the movies. I just checked the user rating of Max Payne and it has a rating of 5.3, which seems appropriate for a supposedly mediocre/not-so-good movie like Max Payne (I haven't even seen that movie and never had any interest in it). May be when you checked the rating it had only a few hundred ratings from die-hard fans who watched it early on and are more likely to give it a positive rating, which would explain a 9.0 rating. That is why it is important to wait a bit till a movie has gathered a significant number of ratings (i.e., 10,000+) to depict an unbiased/statistically significant scenario.

Anyway to each their own. I am sure there will be some people who won't like Prometheus, just like every other movie, and that's fine too. But to blow it off as a bad movie outright and then bashing a generally accepted, well-established community-based website does some serious damage to your credibility.

Cheers. Have a good weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
IMDB is a worthless website, the only people that vote are the ones that go out of their way to vote and have heavy bias. Not to mention people who haven't even seen the movie often vote and companies can also higher people to keep voting in order to artificially pump up a rating. When max payne first came out it had a IMDB score of 9. Max payne was a god awful movie. People who rate on IMDB have also already paid to see the movie which introduces bias since people have a hard time admitting to the fact that they wasted their money on a bad film.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 AM

625 posts, read 553,380 times
LOL, I am still chuckling from one of your lines:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
People who rate on IMDB have also already paid to see the movie which introduces bias since people have a hard time admitting to the fact that they wasted their money on a bad film.

How painfully cynical and laughable at the same time!! If your logic was right then the entire community/review-based culture that has developed over the last few decades or so for pretty much anything from movies to traveling/hotel etc. would be rendered useless!! So we are no longer supposed to believe in reviews of things by people who paid for them.....just pay importance to cynical people like yourself and people who review something without seeing/experiencing it???

-We should only trust reviews about movies from people who watched them illegally for free over the Internet sitting in their mom's basement?

-We should only trust reviews about hotels from people who stayed there for free by winning some sort of lottery/giveaway?

-We should only trust reviews of various consumer goods/books etc. from people who broke into the stores and stole them or just picked them up for free from the dumpster?

HAHA !!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:55 AM

4,402 posts, read 10,044,542 times
I have always gotten the best results from checking out ROTTEN TOMATOS. There are so many critics reviews summed up, you get a pretty good idea of hit/miss.
This movie recieved a 76% from critics (very good) and a 97% (wow) from audience members.
I will be there Sat morning, first showing.
Usually have the theater to ourselves

Old 06-07-2012, 02:50 PM

8,567 posts, read 5,100,154 times
I'm gonna have to wait til this is streamed on DirecTV or Amazon. I'll have to watch it several times to put it together in my head. But I'm looking forward to it. The screeching sound track alone is going to be a thrill.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:40 PM

6,254 posts, read 3,163,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I have always gotten the best results from checking out ROTTEN TOMATOS. There are so many critics reviews summed up, you get a pretty good idea of hit/miss.
This movie recieved a 76% from critics (very good) and a 97% (wow) from audience members.
I will be there Sat morning, first showing.
Usually have the theater to ourselves
Just a heads up, the current, 97% rating on RT is just a rating on how many want to see the movie, not a rating of what they they thought after seeing it. That should appear soon, but the movie hadn't hit the theater prior to that US RT rating which has been there for at least two weeks. I agree that most reviews have been positive though. I'm going to make the end judgement for myself upon seeing the movie. I'm strongly hoping and believe I'll enjoy Prometheus if for no other reason than the visuals and decent acting.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:06 PM

4,402 posts, read 10,044,542 times
Thanks Trosa, I read it a little too quickly I see.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:55 PM

1,905 posts, read 1,571,795 times
Leaving soon for the midnight show....oh, I can't wait!!!!!

Old 06-08-2012, 02:20 AM

1,905 posts, read 1,571,795 times
Okay, just got back. It is worth all the hype. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but it answered so many questions about the Alien saga.

One tip, save your money and skip the IMAX 3D....it cost me $16.00 and I would have been happy seeing it in 2D. Would love to know what others think.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies