Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Movie is your favorite for 2012 "Best Picture" OSCAR
The Artist 11 28.95%
The Descendants 3 7.89%
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close 1 2.63%
The Help 5 13.16%
Hugo 2 5.26%
Midnight in Paris 3 7.89%
Moneyball 3 7.89%
The Tree of Life 0 0%
War Horse 2 5.26%
I don't care because I'm a poopy old crank.... 8 21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,960 times

Advertisements

The ones I've seen so far:

The Artist - I loved it. It filled me with a long-lasting feeling of joyous nostalgia. I realise that it borrows a lot (virtually everything, some music included -aw, Vertigo... -, can be traced back to other, much older films, which is the point really) from well-known classics, and it's a very simple (almost childish, in a good way) storyline, but there's something magical about the way everything's been put together and it's the best and most straightforward 'My dear old Hollywood, I love you' that a movie has uttered in a very long time, so it's my favourite to win.

Midnight in Paris - It was nice. Also a tribute to a past age that was more hopeful, innocent, beautiful. But I keep thinking that Woody Allen (whom I simply adore because of the wonderful stories he's written and directed, especially in the 70s and 80s) should be doing less films and maybe delve into dramatic stories more often from now on. This was a pleasant movie that withstands repeated viewing but it won't go down in history as one of his best. Still, I'm happy it's nominated if only for the past's sake...

The Tree Of Life - It left me cold. I love Malick's Badlands and Days of Heaven but this one... I can't even be bothered to comment on it lol. I was indifferent. I think that Lars Von Trier's Melancholia, for instance, being more or less equally pretentious, was far superior in every way and deserved the nomination instead.

War Horse - Steven Spielberg is one of the directors who regularly provides me with commercial films that I unabashedly love no matter what my snobbish friends say lol. I quite liked War Horse: I was highly entertained and the story was well told, more than decently acted and it looked great. Not my favourite to win, and Spielberg has done much better a few times, but a good movie nonetheless.

The Descendants - Disappointing. Hawaii looks charming. George Clooney (I'm not a fan) does a good job and his character is likeable. The story is nice. There are a couple of near-brilliant moments. And yet I suppose I was expecting more. I wasn't moved. There were no surprises. Clooney's daughters: I didn't care for them. I really tried to love the film but I couldn't do it. Well-done but far too average, in my opinion...

I look forward to watching the rest of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
War Horse for me.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
I don't care because I'm a young cranky guy...

Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
I couldn't care less who wins but one thing for sure one of them will win eventually depending on the politics of the business!
Interestingly, I have not seen a single movie from the list and do not have much desire to either.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:50 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Mike, I've never steered you wrong...get out there and see The Artist if you can. It's a terrific movie! You'll feel like you're back in 1927...even if you were never there in the first place! And if you're an animal lover, Uggie (the Jack Russell), will steal your heart.

The Artist | The Weinstein Company
And you still haven't steered me wrong. I took the wife to see The Artist and she really liked it, as did I. Thanks for the push. +5
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
I used to care about that stuff but now I think all these dumb Hollywood awards shows are just a bunch of spoiled, rich people who have no idea what's going on in the world, patting each other on the behind and congratulating each other

Old 02-03-2012, 08:43 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I think all these dumb Hollywood awards shows are just a bunch of spoiled, rich people...
I don't care about the SAG awards, the Golden Globes, the Grammys or any of the others, but we always watch the Academy Awards. I really don't care what kind of people the actors are IRL.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,260 times
So far I've seen The Descendants, The Artist, Moneyball, Midnight in Paris and unfortunately I didn't finish watching The Tree of Life because it was just not my thing. I really liked The Descendants, I would rank it as one of my all-time favorite movies, so it has my vote. But I think The Artist will win.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I liked the concept of Midnight in Paris, but I don't think it's an all-around great movie, worthy of a Best Picture nomination. The script was weak, the acting wasn't above-par, etc. It was an enjoyable movie, but fluff. Definitely not Woody Allen's best.
The plot was predictable, but that really didn't matter because for this movie it was all about the journey itself, and I *adored* all of the literary references in the dialogue. I agree with you that the acting, while sturdy, was not above par, however I was simply enchanted with this movie. To me, making something light and frothy is not always as easy as it may appear.

I really enjoyed Moneyball, great story and solid acting, but am not sure it will get anything because it was more slice of life than something melodramatic such as The Help.

Hugo was visually entrancing, but that's about it for me. The characters did not wow me. It did not feel like Paris. The best part about it was the old silent films.

I enjoyed The Descendants quite a bit. I appreciated the questions it asked about the choices we are faced with in life, and how we deal with them. I liked the dark humor. I especially enjoyed the very end.

I hope to see all these eventually, but haven't seen The Artist, War Horse or Tree of Life.

I especially want to see The Artist.

I have a feeling that The Help might win big.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:00 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
The Oscars are this weekend, please get your vote recorded this week, before the poll closes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies