Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 12:26 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's why it is called acting.

Michelle Williams doesn't look like Marilyn Monroe, but in the film "My Week with Marilyn"(for which she got an Oscar nomination) she was amazing. You forget that she doesn't look exactly like Monroe.

Her acting makes you believe she is Monroe.

Diana Ross in her screen debut as Billie Holiday in "Lady Sings the Blues" also nailed it, doesn't look like Holiday.

Again it's called acting, would rather have someone who can pull off the role rather than a carbon copy who can't.
But as good as they are, would you believe Diana Ross as Marilyn Monroe or Michelle Williams as Billie Holiday?

Even the greatest actors have their limitations.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 12:39 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
One white man playing an Asian character that was creepily convincing was Christopher Lee as 'Fun Manchu' back in the 60s. Maybe it's because his last name could also be Asian, haha.

Couldn't find any youtube clips unfortunately.

You mean you didn't like Mr. Moto (Peter Lorre) and Charlie Chan (Werner Oland, among others)?

Old 09-01-2014, 01:17 PM

197 posts, read 233,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Tom Hanks may not be a mirror image of Walt Disney, but he much more closely resembles him than just about any other actor in Hollywood.
He does?

I don't see it. Although I can't really think of all the other middle-aged actors in Hollywood. However, Hanks has more 'round' features, where as Disney has 'longer' features.

Although about the only actor that I can think of who resembles Walt Disney is David Niven.

Although as we all know, he's long gone. Also, I think that they did something to Hanks'' eyes to make them more Asian because Disney had slightly Asian eyes.

Quote:
He resembles Disney as much as Meryl Streep resembles Margaret Thatcher or Julia Child.

I don't know. I see more of a resemblance between Streep and Thatcher. Although I agree with you about Julia Child.

Quote:
There is enough resemblance for there to be believability.
Well, personally, I think that Hanks' acting created the believability. Even in an interview, Hanks admitted that he didn't have the same facial structure as Disney.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:29 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Tim Roth came instantly to mind when I was reminded how Walt Disney looked. Here he is playing Prince Rainier (whom he does not resemble)!

Courtesy: blog.roopevintage.com

Old 09-01-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Tim Roth came instantly to mind when I was reminded how Walt Disney looked. Here he is playing Prince Rainier (whom he does not resemble)!
Yes, that is a good resemblance. However, Roth is not an iconic enough actor for Hollywood to have cast him as Walt Disney.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:17 PM

Also, I was thinking about the casting of English actor Christian Bale as Moses in the upcoming Exodus: Gods and Kings.

And I guess even though ancient Jews are suppose to have looked more like this:

I guess Hollywood still feels the need of casting an iconic white actor to play someone like Moses.

However, this article gives insight as to why director Ridley Scott cast Bale:

Quote:
While there might be some in the cast that aren't white, much of the main cast is and that starts at the forefront with Bale as Moses and while Scott sidestepped any mention of controversy, he did open up about why he felt the Dark Knight star was the perfect to play Moses.

Scott said he met with Bale several years back and they talked about doing a movie together, but nothing came together until the Blade Runner director began looking for who to bring on for Exodus.

"It wasn't until five years later when I was thinking about the idea of Exodus and Moses being this kind of larger than life character who, at the same time, has to be played definitively as a very real person," Scott told Yahoo. "I thought of Christian and I knew he was the right actor for the role."

The director also explained that during filming Bale was the perfect "partner" on the film and did an excellent job in the role.

He added that, "We cast major actors from different ethnicities to reflect this diversity of culture [in Egypt], from Iranians to Spaniards to Arabs. There are many different theories about the ethnicity of the Egyptian people,
and we had a lot of discussions about how to best represent the culture."
http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/...e-moses-exodus

Well, it ought to be interesting to see how things progress with this film.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:36 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
He would have to get in reallllly good shape for that, unless it's not about his boxing career.

For some movies it really doesn't matter. In many of them, the person the movie was about many people don't know what they actually looked like.

The aviator being about howard hughes
Schindlers list and the actual Schindler

Many people don't know these faces which make it more ok in my opinion.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Parkerman View Post
Also, I think that they did something to Hanks'' eyes to make them more Asian because Disney had slightly Asian eyes.
I could have sworn that I had an image of Walt Disney in post #73 which must have gotten removed. However, I didn't get any type of moderator notification or anything. Hmm.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:44 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
He does?

I don't see it. Although I can't really think of all the other middle-aged actors in Hollywood. However, Hanks has more 'round' features, where as Disney has 'longer' features.

Although about the only actor that I can think of who resembles Walt Disney is David Niven.

Although as we all know, he's long gone. Also, I think that they did something to Hanks'' eyes to make them more Asian because Disney had slightly Asian eyes.

I don't know. I see more of a resemblance between Streep and Thatcher. Although I agree with you about Julia Child.

Well, personally, I think that Hanks' acting created the believability. Even in an interview, Hanks admitted that he didn't have the same facial structure as Disney.
I see just as much resemblance between Disney/Hanks as I do Streep/Thatcher. But I guess I'm not looking for actors to be mirror images of the person they're portraying.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
I could have sworn that I had an image of Walt Disney in post #73 which must have gotten removed. However, I didn't get any type of moderator notification or anything. Hmm.
I still see it. It's there on my screen, anyway. The real Walt on left side, Tom Hanks on the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies