Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:32 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I find most of those films utterly silly but I quite enjoyed :

"Le Pacte des Loups" ("Brotherhood of the Wolf" )IMO superior by far to other Werewolf movies

Brotherhood Of The Wolf Trailer HD - YouTube

"The Company of Wolves"
"An American Werewolf in London/Paris"
"Ginger Snaps Back"

Ginger Snaps Back Trailer - YouTube
Le Pacte des Loups was good fun It was a huge hit all over Europe, remember? (Well, at least it was in Spain)

The Company of Wolves didn't even occur to me when I saw this thread, which is unforgivable. It may be because I don't consider it a "werewolf movie" as such, although it's full of that! It's one of my favourite movies of all time, and I like Angela Carter's short stories as well.

Ginger Snaps (I haven't seen Ginger Snaps Back): I loved it. Same as The Company of Wolves, it's more to do with femininity and sexuality... Which is why people looking for an average scary movie might be disappointed.

All in all, great titles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Brotherhood of the Wolf a werewolf movie? Really? I do not consider that movie as a true werewolf movie so I disagree with those who consider it as so but this is not to say it was not an awesome movie because it was. Great action, cast and a suspenseful story. One of my favorites indeed.

Amongst the more traditional werewolf movies I would pick Jack Nicholson's Wolf. Very engaging story, special effect and of course, very yummy Michelle Pfeiffer!
Closely followed by the old classics An American Werewolf in London and Howling.
Though not considered great movies, I also enjoyed An American Werewolf in Paris, Blood and Chocolate and Skinwalkers.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:35 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Teen Wolf ... duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Anyone remember "I Was a Teenage Werewolf"
Or this one. LOL

Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,475,106 times
I'm old.school ill vote Lol Chaney as Werewolf anyday but the newest one "Wolfman" was very impressive, whoever shot that film has my respect for attempting to keep it dark with and old feel to it. Not to mention it was graphic, the way any good horror film is meant to be.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Le Pacte des Loups was good fun It was a huge hit all over Europe, remember? (Well, at least it was in Spain)

The Company of Wolves didn't even occur to me when I saw this thread, which is unforgivable. It may be because I don't consider it a "werewolf movie" as such, although it's full of that! It's one of my favourite movies of all time, and I like Angela Carter's short stories as well.

Ginger Snaps (I haven't seen Ginger Snaps Back): I loved it. Same as The Company of Wolves, it's more to do with femininity and sexuality... Which is why people looking for an average scary movie might be disappointed.

All in all, great titles

"Le Pacte des Loups" was quite a big hit in France but I think it was more marginal in the UK , possibly because it is less "horror" ( possibly why I like it as I find most Horror films just plain ridiculous) and played more "straight".

I grew up as a little Girl fed on the stories of "La Bete du Gevaudan" legend . Some people in that part of France still handing down those terrible stories of brutal deaths and devastation. An Ancestor of mine took part in that last big Wolf hunt which ensued and the Diaries of the time and contemporary press reportings are fascinating.

I do tend to like those films who deal with the darker side of Legends and "Fairy" Tales , they are so obviously so rooted in not only a certain historical Folklore but also as patent warnings against the darkness of human nature and where little Girls are warned against big bad men... I always find it bizarre that so many people think Fairy Tales are "Children's stuff". Charles Perrault and the Brothers Grimm so obviously the descendents of our Darkest Folklore Heritage with its dark woods and lurking monsters .

I always felt sorry for the Wolf ( my Favourite animal) being so demonised and its reputation so sullied though, I suppose a throwback when they were the scariest thing a human could think of bar pestilence and war.... We created monsters in an attempt to explain the darker recesses of our human nature and our souls just as we created Gods to lift us out of the dark and the then unexplained. Two sides of the same coin. Fairy Tales just fascinate me because they are so telling of our Humanity. They illuminate so much about what makes us tick and who we are.

Maybe nowadays we could have the Banksters as our new "Werevolves" sowing pain,misery and agony and lying waste to all in their wake ! Time for a rewrite and for new fresh monsters... Not that we have that far to look for them.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 02-06-2012 at 08:35 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Teen Wolf ... duh!

Or this one. LOL
Or "Werewolf of London" with Henry Hull.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:10 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
HONORABLE MENTIONS:

An American Werewolf in London. This movie might have been the best werewolf movie ever, if it weren't for the last 5 minutes of the movie, which are atrocious and completely destroy the set-up of the rest of the movie.

Le Pacte des Loups (The Brotherhood of the Wolf), yes, is a fantastic movie. But it isn't a werewolf movie. I don't want to spoil too much, but suffice to say: This isn't a werewolf movie. And again, I thought the ending was really terrible. The last 10-15 minutes of the movie need a rewrite. Especially when Baron von Boner unwraps.

Ginger Snaps was a fun little movie, spoiled only by the really bad special effects. It was low budget, so the filmmakers did great with what they had. They just didn't have enough to make this movie work in the modern era.

Dog Soldiers started out great, but soon just got silly and uninteresting.

A Company of Wolves is a great movie, if a tad weird and esoteric at times. Definitely worth watching though.

Wolf, with Jack Nicholson ... again started out great, but the ending was comically bad.

Werewolf movies in general seem to have a recurring problem in that they begin well, have fantastic build-up, then pathetically stupid endings. The one movie that best escapes this and tops my list:

THE WINNER

The Howling. Granted, the last werewolf you see in the movie looks more Pekingese than wolf, but still, The Howling is by far the best werewolf movie ever made.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:22 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times
I gotta roll with Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:38 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I gotta roll with Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf.
All kidding aside, that wasn't a bad movie. Teen Wolf Too was rather ridiculous, but the original was reasonably well done for what it was.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,048,028 times
Abbott and Costello meet The Monsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies