U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,504,855 times

Advertisements

A little tired today but it was well worth it. The movie was very well done, stayed true to the novel with a few small changes that arent worth complaining about. The acting was great, the pace was perfect, the world created was exactly as expected. Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman might have been the best casting move, he was the best part of the scenes from the capital.

It's a 2 and a half hour movie but it really feels like an hour and a half. There are really only two death scenes you actually get to see due to shaky cam being used in the first action in the arena and neither are gory. I would take my 9 year old to see it and there were kids about that age there last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 09:53 AM

771 posts, read 1,053,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
A little tired today but it was well worth it. The movie was very well done, stayed true to the novel with a few small changes that arent worth complaining about. The acting was great, the pace was perfect, the world created was exactly as expected. Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman might have been the best casting move, he was the best part of the scenes from the capital.

It's a 2 and a half hour movie but it really feels like an hour and a half. There are really only two death scenes you actually get to see due to shaky cam being used in the first action in the arena and neither are gory. I would take my 9 year old to see it and there were kids about that age there last night.
Good to hear! I might have to wait until next week to see it but glad to hear it's good.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM

42,311 posts, read 49,935,746 times
I really enjoyed the first book. Meh on the other two.
The writing is young adult...so I was not expecting great feats of prose.
But the first book was well-paced and interesting.

I really would like to see the movie.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,694,753 times
I have tickets for tonight and am looking forward to it. I read the first book and am 3/4 of the way through the second. I enjoyed the book-found it to be pure escapism. Glad to hear that they kept the movie close to the book.
As for the ridiculous arguments on this thread - I'd just like to add that my daughter saw R rated movies when she was about 9 or 10. It all depends on the movie and the child. In my case, my daughter is now 20 in College as a Film Major. She loves movies of all kinds (old and new) and has never had any adverse effects from seeing R movies. In fact it has contributed to her appreciation for film as an art form.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 AM

2,514 posts, read 5,187,041 times
This movie is all my teen has been talking about. She read the books and loves discussing them w/ her friends. We will probably wait until Sunday to see it. The crowds won't be as bad.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:50 PM

2,866 posts, read 6,270,665 times
I took my daughter (16) and a friend to see it at midnight. She absolutely thought it was perfect. I thought it was good, but felt like some of the early background information about Katniss was missing (you can't squeeze everything into one movie) which made her intensity less understandable. In the book, I felt like everything that she did was influenced by her desperation to get home and provide for Prim and her mother. That didn't come across as strongly in the movie.

The character that surprised me the most was Hamitch. Woody Harrelson balanced that line between being pretty despicable and somehow likable. I though Cinna's character could have used a little more punch - just something sort of anemic about him.

The violence was handled in a rating appropriate way. It still seemed intense without being gory. There was one scene (I think it was when they were fighting for gear... at the cornucopia) that was silent - very powerful.

Enjoy!!! I'm going to take a nap now.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:03 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,504,855 times
I think it is hard to convey her thoughts that you read through the film. I thought the hallucinations about her father's death were a great way to make up for it.

Cinna is a character in the book that didnt get nearly enough story. He is different from everyone else in the capital and we dont know why. He will get more air time in the second movie.

I am going to go back and see it in IMAX.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,884,905 times
Well I sure did like it a lot!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:57 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,983,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I think it is hard to convey her thoughts that you read through the film. I thought the hallucinations about her father's death were a great way to make up for it.

Cinna is a character in the book that didnt get nearly enough story. He is different from everyone else in the capital and we dont know why. He will get more air time in the second movie.

I am going to go back and see it in IMAX.
Your earlier posts allude to the movie theme as a political satire. Then you seemed to get sidetracked by discussions on violence. I have heard that the books appear to criticise corruption in big government via the idea more government less freedom by absolute power corrupting absolutely.
Further, the union of reality TV with totalitarianist politics seems to strike a chord with today's youth. Especially when the rulers seem to take delight in the slaughter that comes with the games.... Kinda like Rome, way back when.
What's your take ?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,526,262 times
I had very high expectations and the movie exceeded them.

It surprised me in that I expected a high-octane action movie. Instead the focus was way more on the people and their emotions. Lots of subtlety. I felt Katniss's and Peeta's pre-game fear and sense of dread much more while viewing the movie than while reading the book. Excellent acting and directing. The few minor changes made for the movie improved the story, imo.

My own children are grown but I taught school and was a children's librarian for many years and I wouldn't hesitate to let a 12-year-old see HG. The violence is no more graphic than prime time major network TV. For ages 9-11, I wouldn't worry about the violence but rather it depends upon how emotionally sensitive they are. If they've read and enjoyed the book, then they'll do fine, the movie is way less violent.

For comparison, I wouldn't have let anyone under 13 see Titanic, which was also rated PG-13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies