U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,594,507 times

Advertisements

The movie was okay-good, but IMO I would not recommend if you get motion sickness easily. Generally I don't get it but for some reason within the first 15 minutes I got sick and could barely watch the rest of the movie. I had to come out for 15 minutes and take a break, but I did saw the last 15 minutes of the movie. Excellent acting and the actors/actress were perfect. I really like the main girl and guy, and I was getting used to their looks as the movie went by. At first I was kind of annoyed by that guy Peter (I think), but I started to like him when I realize what he was doing to her during the Game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Your earlier posts allude to the movie theme as a political satire. Then you seemed to get sidetracked by discussions on violence. I have heard that the books appear to criticise corruption in big government via the idea more government less freedom by absolute power corrupting absolutely.
Further, the union of reality TV with totalitarianist politics seems to strike a chord with today's youth. Especially when the rulers seem to take delight in the slaughter that comes with the games.... Kinda like Rome, way back when.
What's your take ?
I was only discussing the violence because of discussions with a particular poster.

I think the themes in the movie are survival, loyalty, love, and political power. It has a very Occupy theme to it which is so fitting with what is going on in our country right now. Anyone that sees the premise of the movie and thinks it is about kids killing each other is missing the point and the other two movies will clearly show that.

Have you read the books/

Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
The movie was okay-good, but IMO I would not recommend if you get motion sickness easily. Generally I don't get it but for some reason within the first 15 minutes I got sick and could barely watch the rest of the movie. I had to come out for 15 minutes and take a break, but I did saw the last 15 minutes of the movie. Excellent acting and the actors/actress were perfect. I really like the main girl and guy, and I was getting used to their looks as the movie went by. At first I was kind of annoyed by that guy Peter (I think), but I started to like him when I realize what he was doing to her during the Game.
I can see the shaky cam footage getting to people. It has a very Blair Witch feel to it but I thought it was well done.

The books come from the perspective of Katniss so you get your thoughts on things which makes it hard for the movie to portray that. Without spoiling things too much, in the books, she is very irritated and betrayed by the actions of Peeta but realizes what he was doing when he comes to warn her after the stings.

I was really nervous when I heard they were making a movie but it was going to take very specific types of actors to do that parts properly and I think they nailed them. The only one I think could be done better is Donald Sutherland as President Snow. In the book he is described as a coniving snake and he didnt really pull it off. Everyone else is perfect for their roles as described in the books. They really couldnt have done much better. I actually pictured either Woody Harrelson or John Malkovich as Haymitch before they announced his casting.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 PM

3,647 posts, read 9,307,282 times
Taking my kids tomorrow - DBOX style! Can't wait!

Old 03-24-2012, 02:19 AM

3,569 posts, read 5,771,547 times
It was cool.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:20 AM

3,074 posts, read 3,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I was only discussing the violence because of discussions with a particular poster.

I think the themes in the movie are survival, loyalty, love, and political power. It has a very Occupy theme to it which is so fitting with what is going on in our country right now. Anyone that sees the premise of the movie and thinks it is about kids killing each other is missing the point and the other two movies will clearly show that.

Have you read the books/
I haven't read them yet, but now I will. The movie does seem to target the real villan, mainly a corrupt government manupilating alll the other forces, media, baser instincts of a society gone mad, etc. It is hopeful, IMO, that our children are into this because it indicates they are seeing through the propaganda that is being churned out and spoon fed to the populace.

Last edited by Pawporri; 03-24-2012 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 03-24-2012, 08:33 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,163,540 times
It was a hit for me! Didn't think I'd like it so much. The only problem I had was thinking of my own almost 16 yr old, and if it was her chosen. Other than that, it was very well written. My daughter said parts of the book were left out. After the movie, we highlighted her night giving her the soundtrack.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:07 PM

358 posts, read 561,355 times
I haven't read the book. Perhaps that would help. Anyway, this movie was just the most vacant, empty thing. If you think this is really about something more than kids killing each other you have officially been duped by big budget USA entertainment. This is pure spectacle. The political context...are you kidding me?! The political storyline is just window dressing meant to give people a convenient way to explain why they enjoy something so twisted.

I'm glad that I am not so desensitized or unhappy that I could actually enjoy something like this. It's really sad that this is marketed at kids.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:32 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,789,306 times
I hadn't read any of the books so I didn't know what to expect. I guess overall it was okay BUT I couldn't get over the kids killing each other. The killing of Rue was hard for me just because she was so young. I'm just glad Katniss didn't have to kill her. I still have mixed feelings about it.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
I went in cold, knowing nothing about the books, and I really liked it. There was never a time it didn't hold my attention and I thought the main actress was really good. I wouldn't have a problem with kids seeing this so long as they aren't super sensitive to things. Parents know their kids, mine were never upset by movies or tv since they know it's make believe. The kids killing kids thing isn't a new theme, and as far as the whole "it wasn't that long ago that..." issue, it wasn't that long ago that kids that age were slaving in factories or out on the streets fending for themselves. Some still do. The idea that we have always sheltered our little darlings is a fantasy far greater than this movie tells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies