U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
The movie was okay-good, but IMO I would not recommend if you get motion sickness easily. Generally I don't get it but for some reason within the first 15 minutes I got sick and could barely watch the rest of the movie. I had to come out for 15 minutes and take a break, but I did saw the last 15 minutes of the movie. Excellent acting and the actors/actress were perfect. I really like the main girl and guy, and I was getting used to their looks as the movie went by. At first I was kind of annoyed by that guy Peter (I think), but I started to like him when I realize what he was doing to her during the Game.
It's the stupid shaky cam fad in action movie making. It's a lazy substitute for using actual skill and talent in setting up action scenes. Just shake the camera around to create the appearance action and tension. I wish directors would get back to using actual action in scenes and skillful editing to bring it all together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 01:38 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,492,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouzon View Post
I haven't read the book. Perhaps that would help. Anyway, this movie was just the most vacant, empty thing. If you think this is really about something more than kids killing each other you have officially been duped by big budget USA entertainment. This is pure spectacle. The political context...are you kidding me?! The political storyline is just window dressing meant to give people a convenient way to explain why they enjoy something so twisted.

I'm glad that I am not so desensitized or unhappy that I could actually enjoy something like this. It's really sad that this is marketed at kids.
Dupped by big budget USA entertainment? You realize this is based on a book right that wasnt written as big budget entertainment? You realize that this is based on a young adult books, right? I have two friend who are high school English teachers and they actually assigned the opening book of the series in their classes. I suppose you also think the same thing about Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings or other popular books that include violence that have been made into movies? Have you never seen Disney movies that include death, violence, and other themes? This

The book and subsequent series are very much political - it is the main theme of the series and it is obvious for anyone with any type of education. The killing of kids is punishment for political actions taken previously by the citizens of the fictional country. Did you even pay attention when watching the movie because it appears that you didnt.

Wow...

Old 03-25-2012, 01:40 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,492,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
It's the stupid shaky cam fad in action movie making. It's a lazy substitute for using actual skill and talent in setting up action scenes. Just shake the camera around to create the appearance action and tension. I wish directors would get back to using actual action in scenes and skillful editing to bring it all together.
The shaky cam isnt a fad. It has been used for a long time and it was a tool for creating drama but also a way for this movie to remain PG13 so that the main audience for this film would be allowed to see the movie. Do you really think this movie would remain PG13 if the shaky cam were not used in the opening scene in the arena? It had a hard time getting that rating as it was.

I thought the use of the shaky cam was very well done as it created the suspense and devastation of those scenes without showing the gore that it would entail if they had not.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:08 AM

2,859 posts, read 6,258,775 times
Quote:
I'm glad that I am not so desensitized or unhappy that I could actually enjoy something like this. It's really sad that this is marketed at kids.
I think it is this issue of desensitization that is so integral to the story and to our reaction to it. This was the 7th Hunger Games so these people were on their third generation of annual reapings, annual viewings, annual post-games tours. That anyone was NOT completely desensitized and was still able to muster a protest speaks positively to the strength of humanity.

It made me think about what short of things has our society become desensitized to? I think that a negative reaction to the premise of this movie is a positive thing and supports our ability to step back and evaluate what is put in front of us by the media, government, pop-culture using our intelligence and values.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:00 AM

358 posts, read 561,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I think it is this issue of desensitization that is so integral to the story and to our reaction to it. This was the 7th Hunger Games so these people were on their third generation of annual reapings, annual viewings, annual post-games tours. That anyone was NOT completely desensitized and was still able to muster a protest speaks positively to the strength of humanity.

It made me think about what short of things has our society become desensitized to? I think that a negative reaction to the premise of this movie is a positive thing and supports our ability to step back and evaluate what is put in front of us by the media, government, pop-culture using our intelligence and values.
I think your analysis is good and I can see this element in the story and, again, I'm sure that reading the book first helps add a lot of necessary context to what happens in the movie. I just think that in the end if you are trying to send an intelligent, thoughtful message, then you should create an intelligent thoughtful way to convey that message. For the movie ultimately relies on a clever (and twisted) plot device as a very easy way to get people's attention. If a piece or art is easy...takes a short cut to shock people...I think that corrupts the rest of what it's trying to say.

Another more harsh way to look at it is that the movie is putting out a message but is not really sincerely behind that message. It's like a tobacco company showing up at a middle school somewhere and announcing that they will have the 7th graders smoke all day in order to show them how nasty smoking is. Makes you wonder whether if the messenger isn't wallowing in the very thing it is supposedly warning you about. This is why I think the movie is more manipulative than anything.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:07 AM

358 posts, read 561,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Dupped by big budget USA entertainment? You realize this is based on a book right that wasnt written as big budget entertainment? You realize that this is based on a young adult books, right? I have two friend who are high school English teachers and they actually assigned the opening book of the series in their classes. I suppose you also think the same thing about Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings or other popular books that include violence that have been made into movies? Have you never seen Disney movies that include death, violence, and other themes? This

The book and subsequent series are very much political - it is the main theme of the series and it is obvious for anyone with any type of education. The killing of kids is punishment for political actions taken previously by the citizens of the fictional country. Did you even pay attention when watching the movie because it appears that you didnt.

Wow...
You're right, I forgot about all those Disney movies about kids running at each other with large shiny hatchets (documentary style no less) and grunting over their victim as they finish the job. Sorry my bad!!!!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 AM

2,859 posts, read 6,258,775 times
Quote:
I think your analysis is good and I can see this element in the story and, again, I'm sure that reading the book first helps add a lot of necessary context to what happens in the movie. I just think that in the end if you are trying to send an intelligent, thoughtful message, then you should create an intelligent thoughtful way to convey that message. For the movie ultimately relies on a clever (and twisted) plot device as a very easy way to get people's attention. If a piece or art is easy...takes a short cut to shock people...I think that corrupts the rest of what it's trying to say.

Another more harsh way to look at it is that the movie is putting out a message but is not really sincerely behind that message. It's like a tobacco company showing up at a middle school somewhere and announcing that they will have the 7th graders smoke all day in order to show them how nasty smoking is. Makes you wonder whether if the messenger isn't wallowing in the very thing it is supposedly warning you about. This is why I think the movie is more manipulative than anything.
I meant to say that it was the 74th (not the 7th) Hunger Games... Big difference.

I also think that the second and third books are essential in understanding the bigger message in this story. When the first installment is viewed alone, it really focuses on the "game" itself and not how the Hunger Games are used by the government or how the people eventually stand for themselves. I am glad that most kids did not stop after reading just the first installment and went on to complete the Trilogy.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:08 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,168,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I hadn't read any of the books so I didn't know what to expect. I guess overall it was okay BUT I couldn't get over the kids killing each other. The killing of Rue was hard for me just because she was so young. I'm just glad Katniss didn't have to kill her. I still have mixed feelings about it.
It's best to use the spoiler option when discussing actual scenes.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 PM

3,584 posts, read 3,670,021 times
Saw the movie this past weekend and thought it was pretty good. I had finished reading the book a few days prior, so everything was still fresh in my mind. I liked the movie and thought the casting was good. Like any adaption to movie, the book was better than the movie. Movies usually rush through things to get to the core of the story and make the movie interesting to all viewers.

There are a few things I think they could have done a better job of. First and foremost is her relationship with her Mom, her bond with Primrose and the reason why she hunted. Explaining her intelligence with hunting, finding and gathering food and herbs would have been nice. I did not enjoy how they tried to give special meaning behind the Mockingjay pin and how she gave it to Prim. They should have also given a reason why the rest of District 12 and why during the games she put her three middle fingers to her mouth and then held them out. I also think it would have been funny to see Haymitch fall off the stage at the Reaping.

It's too we have to wait until November 2013 for Catching Fire to come out. These types of movies should do what Lord of the Rings did and release them all a year apart.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 AM

15,092 posts, read 19,732,985 times
Saw it over the weekend. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not a classic. Not one I'll watch dozens of times a year for the rest of my life. But still a good movie. Well worth the matinee price.

And no, I've never read the book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies