U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:38 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,660,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
Yep, very much like The Truman Show...everything being done in a "set"...controlled environment...directors/makers of the "show" interfering time to time to steer the outcome/plot in different directions and watching how the characters react to the changing circumstances, both movies even show the viewers watching the "show" and commenting/reacting to it! There is some technological advancement in The Hunger Games of course, such as making artificial animals and dropping them into the set (which I thought was pretty cool btw)...but other than that it is basically people enjoying reality show at the expense of others' miseries. Only difference is that in The Truman Show Jim Carrey's character (Truman Burbank) was not aware that he was being filmed but in The Hunger Games the characters knew, but the overall theme is still the same, they were all forced into a fake reality for the entertainment of the rest!

Must say though, The Truman Show was very original for its time and a masterpiece...while The Hunger Games...not so much ...in my opinion anyway !!

Cheers!
I agree with your assessment. HG also copied heavily from Schwarzenneger's The Running Man (1987). Only difference here is that the "gladiators" in HG are kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 04:05 PM

696 posts, read 1,084,152 times
Thanks. Some of my friends that I went to see it with did mention The Running Man..I have to check that out.

It is interesting though how some people were arguing earlier about the movie being too "violent" ..I mean ..really? This is 2012 people, haven't we watched enough Gladiator movies and played enough violent video games by now? I agree that the teens were no different from the medieval fighters in Troy, Gladiators, 300 etc. except they were not wearing armors!! It was not THAT violent and the violence was presented in a fairly neutral, "tasteful" way as required by the story imho.

Also I want to clarify that while I personally did not enjoy the movie as much as I thought I would, I still do think it was a decent, "quality" movie with good direction, acting etc. Just not my cup of tea due to the predictability and the teenage love stuff..that is all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
I agree with your assessment. HG also copied heavily from Schwarzenneger's The Running Man (1987). Only difference here is that the "gladiators" in HG are kids.

Last edited by ronyusa; 03-26-2012 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-26-2012, 04:17 PM

29,609 posts, read 31,931,623 times
The Running Man is a Stephen King story translated (poorly IMO) to film. It's also reminiscent of The Long Walk, an older book by Stephen King but published under the name Richard Bachman, which used young people instead of adults. Both stories depict the same dystopia theme with "to the death" games done for the amusement of others.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:04 PM

One interesting thing my friends and I were debating after the movie was how the movie showed all the teens/young characters from the various disctricts as weak and scared. I mean, if you are growing up in a harsh reality / society where you know every year there is a chance that you might get selected for participating in a death match, wouldn't you accept it as "fate" and start preparing for that? The logic/idea here is that kids that grow up in bad neighborhoods tend to be more daring and better in dealing with miseries and the cruelty of the world than someone that grew up in Disneyworld reading Twilight and eating caviar and cupcakes !!

The characters of the various districts seemed weak and vulnerable which was suprising to me, I would think that they would wake up to the reality of the world and grow up as much tougher kids who are used to the cruelty/unfairness of the world.

What do y'all think ??

Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 PM

2,859 posts, read 6,258,775 times
Quote:
One interesting thing my friends and I were debating after the movie was how the movie showed all the teens/young characters from the various disctricts as weak and scared. I mean, if you are growing up in a harsh reality / society where you know every year there is a chance that you might get selected for participating in a death match, wouldn't you accept it as "fate" and start preparing for that? The logic/idea here is that kids that grow up in bad neighborhoods tend to be more daring and better in dealing with miseries and the cruelty of the world than someone that grew up in Disneyworld reading Twilight and eating caviar and cupcakes !!

The characters of the various districts seemed weak and vulnerable which was suprising to me, I would think that they would wake up to the reality of the world and grow up as much tougher kids who are used to the cruelty/unfairness of the world.

What do y'all think ??
Interesting points, but I think that even though Katniss, Peeta and others grew up in harsh circumstances with the Hunger Games hanging over their heads, they still had some normalcy and loving care in their lives that they would not want to be separated from.

It was actually the tributes from the more prosperous districts who were "groomed" to be tributes and had daring/aggressive attitudes more consistent with what you are describing. Yet those young people probably had more creature comforts while growing up than the ones from the poorer districts had.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:34 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,492,402 times
Quote:

What do y'all think ??

Do you really think that if you were selected to go into an arena with 23 other people who were looking to kill you that you wouldnt be a little concerned. Death is death no matter what the conditions are that you were raised on. On top of that, these kids have families at home that they want to go back too. I dont think they seemed weak at all considering the circumstances.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:03 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,858,481 times
The movie was alright.

These were my complaints (never read the books)...
1) the fact this movie could have been 45-60 minutes and ended up being 2 and half hours. There must have been over 15-20 minutes (combined time) of them putting on ointment. After the first time, I didn't understand why they continued to show it. No need to push the movie into boredom spectrum by adding scenes that were unnecessary (i.e. not moving the story along).
2) the setup for a "Team Jacob/Edward" scenario.
3) the shaking camera got annoying/unnecessary at times.
4) the costumes/outfits weren't finished well i.e. like current fashion design majors accomplished them vs the pros that do movies.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:03 PM

@pinetreelover - good post, I see what you are saying, yes there were a few characters that seemed more cruel and daring but I was expecting a majority of the characters to be that way... *shrug*.

@RjRobb - you missed my point buddy I am not saying the ones chosen should not feel a bit scared, I am just saying in a post-apocalyptical harsh world where your survival could depend on killing others I thought the kids in general (not just the ones selected, but all of them) would grow up a little more daring instead of nice and humble Southern country boys and girls the movie makes them out to be!

Then again, to the contrary, one of my friend was suggesting that they were all controlled by the superior/ruling class and they were constantly kept in fear and hunger etc. which could answer my question as to why they were so soft and scared all the time...

Old 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM

Oh and another thing the movie also made some vague allusions to the Civil War of USA (in my mind anyway)...I mean the various districts were basically cursed because long time ago they rebelled and caused bloodshed right... ? So, think about it, it is like the Civil War where the South rebelled and lost the war..imagine if the North tried to punish the South in the same way since the end of the Civil War.. picking kids from every state like in The Hunger Games every year to send them to fight and die to remind them of the rebellion ... ? See what I mean ??

Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,660,794 times
Quote:
Oh and another thing the movie also made some vague allusions to the Civil War of USA (in my mind anyway)...I mean the various districts were basically cursed because long time ago they rebelled and caused bloodshed right... ? So, think about it, it is like the Civil War where the South rebelled and lost the war..imagine if the North tried to punish the South in the same way since the end of the Civil War.. picking kids from every state like in The Hunger Games every year to send them to fight and die to remind them of the rebellion ... ? See what I mean ??
I picked up on the Civil War allusion also. Probably why some right wing commentators are praising the movie as some kind of parable of post-Civil War USA and what happens when "big government" controls your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies