U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:34 PM

692 posts, read 789,668 times

Advertisements

I plan on seeing it but not opening day. Love or hate the third book the trilogy has already exposed what a sucktastic writer Stephanie Meyers is. I hope the movies does the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 PM

6,007 posts, read 13,190,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
They arent science fiction. They are set in the future but it is a dystopian society, not very futuristic or sci-fi setting.
No, the books are very much sci-fi. It takes place in some unknown future w/ advance technology= soft sci-fi.

I'll likely go see it in theaters, if only for analysis purpose (the book-movie/TV adaptation process has been the focus of one of my classes). Otherwise, I would have just waited until it came out on DVD. It's not enough of a "must see" for me to deal w/ the movie going "experience" w/o an exterior reason. Honestly, other than Jennifer Lawrence (whose performance in "Winter's Bone" had me thinking of her as Katniss the second they announced that they casted her), I'm not giddy over the casting. I still haven't caught a trailer, should probably go watch it.

And folks, let's not compare this to Twilight please!!!!! The love story in The Hunger Games is a rather unique plot point and as much as people want to play the "Team Gale vs Team Peeta" game, the love triangle is far more subdued than it was in Twilight and not the main focus of the plot. And yes,The Hunger Games are a far better source material in every sense-plot, dialog, characters, etc.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,496,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
No, the books are very much sci-fi. It takes place in some unknown future w/ advance technology= soft sci-fi.

I'll likely go see it in theaters, if only for analysis purpose (the book-movie/TV adaptation process has been the focus of one of my classes). Otherwise, I would have just waited until it came out on DVD. It's not enough of a "must see" for me to deal w/ the movie going "experience" w/o an exterior reason. Honestly, other than Jennifer Lawrence (whose performance in "Winter's Bone" had me thinking of her as Katniss the second they announced that they casted her), I'm not giddy over the casting. I still haven't caught a trailer, should probably go watch it.
Really? Woody Harrelson is perfect for Haymitch. I actually thought of him when I heard about the movie for that role. Elizabeth Banks, Donald Sutherland, Stanley Tucci? This cast is fantastic.

Quote:
And folks, let's not compare this to Twilight please!!!!! The love story in The Hunger Games is a rather unique plot point and as much as people want to play the "Team Gale vs Team Peeta" game, the love triangle is far more subdued than it was in Twilight and not the main focus of the plot. And yes,The Hunger Games are a far better source material in every sense-plot, dialog, characters, etc.

The producers the other day actually said they watched the Twilight movies over and over again to show them how NOT TO make a movie.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:33 PM

19,905 posts, read 10,577,375 times
Saw the trailer. Looks like a stupid movie.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM

6,007 posts, read 13,190,552 times
Quote:
Really? Woody Harrelson is perfect for Haymitch. I actually thought of him when I heard about the movie for that role. Elizabeth Banks, Donald Sutherland, Stanley Tucci? This cast is fantastic.
I was thinking more about the casting of Gale, Peeta, and Cinna. I think the casting for the main two boys wasn't great, though I'm still pretty "meh" about most of the cast. No major reason why, could just be a disconnect from how I imagined them. I know some people didn't like Jennifer Lawrence as Kat. I guess we'll see how they work out when the movie comes out.

Quote:
The producers the other day actually said they watched the Twilight movies over and over again to show them how NOT TO make a movie.
Twilight, both the book and movie, should be analyzed by anyone who wants to write for film or novel as clear examples of how NOT to create strong, engaging, believable characters, compelling plots, and realistic dialogue I still can't believe how popular these books and movies are...

Old 03-09-2012, 03:13 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,496,712 times
Quote:
I was thinking more about the casting of Gale, Peeta, and Cinna. I think the casting for the main two boys wasn't great, though I'm still pretty "meh" about most of the cast. No major reason why, could just be a disconnect from how I imagined them. I know some people didn't like Jennifer Lawrence as Kat. I guess we'll see how they work out when the movie comes out.
I thought Lenny Kravitz was spot on as Cinna. The kid playing Peeta looks just like I pictured him. I guess I never really pictured Gale that much so I really have no feeling about it.

For those roles, they really needed to go with unknown actors for it to work. Plus, it is really hard to find well-known actors that are in the late-teens, early 20s anyway.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:58 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,818,003 times
Quote:
Twilight, both the book and movie, should be analyzed by anyone who wants to write for film or novel as clear examples of how NOT to create strong, engaging, believable characters, compelling plots, and realistic dialogue I still can't believe how popular these books and movies are...
Maybe, but even though Twilight is pure fluff on so many levels, I found it to be a page turner none the less. It's literary "junk food", no question. But we need a little junk food every now and then, don't we?

In contrast, Hunger Games is a compelling story with interesting characters - I hope it translates well in the movie.

Twilight the movie was just plain awful, IMO.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 AM

771 posts, read 1,050,470 times
Bump. Comes out this week and it's getting very good reviews.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,328,559 times
Teenagers killing teenagers for sport? Really folks?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 PM

771 posts, read 1,050,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Teenagers killing teenagers for sport? Really folks?
You are totally taking it out of context. It's dystopian society in the future, that uses these games to instill fear and control the people. The trilogy gets a lot more political after this first book/film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies