U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 PM

771 posts, read 1,050,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
What age group? Where did I state small children? I understand it is very violent.

I do not care about millions of people. I note the general declension in parenting. Visit the education and parenting forum here much?
Okay well hold on to your beliefs. It just doesn't seem you know enough about the actual story, so I am not going to continue to discuss this with you. So you think it is a super violent movie with no substance, great good for you.

I am not going to discuss this any further as this is not what I made this thread for. I just wanted to see who was going to see it and who was not. Perhaps all comments of parenting and what not should be kept in those forums, no?

Actually maybe you should bring the Hunger Games as a topic into those forums. You will probably get more people willing to discuss it with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 02:39 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,328,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Okay well hold on to your beliefs. It just doesn't seem you know enough about the actual story, so I am not going to continue to discuss this with you. So you think it is a super violent movie with no substance, great good for you.

I am not going to discuss this any further as this is not what I made this thread for. I just wanted to see who was going to see it and who was not. Perhaps all comments of parenting and what not should be kept in those forums, no?

Actually maybe you should bring the Hunger Games as a topic into those forums. You will probably get more people willing to discuss it with you.

I think it is relevant for people to know what it is about so that no one is hyped into seeing it.

I exchanged emails with someone I know who saw it and so claimed.

I think you are evading the issue in your preference for this film.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I think it is relevant for people to know what it is about so that no one is hyped into seeing it.

Yes, because someone who saw ChikidII write about the movie is going to go see it without actually reading what the movie is about, reading reviews or getting word of mouth if the movie is worth seeing.

I think if you read the plot, people will understand that there will be killing involved so what's your point? I mean are people going to think that they kill each other by tickling people to death? So now we have to give details because people are not intelligent enough to realize that a plot where people are killing other people might actually have violence?

It's like reading the plot for Halloween and a person not being able to decipher that there is going to be violence in the movie.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 PM

Well, I posted the question here to verify what I heard/saw in a trailer. I did not know it was actually going to portray teens killing teens until asking a bit. An acquaintance who saw the film verified.

People actually do watch and read the respective media based on sound reviews of a product.

Actually with PG-13 one would not expect to see the violence on screen that was described to me by a viewer. Halloween was R-rated?

Last edited by Felix C; 03-21-2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,818,003 times
Quote:

Like many parents, I had concerns about this story. So I read the book before I would let my preteen son read it.

I know what the story is about, I've talked to my son about the book and I have decided that my son is mature enough to see this movie. Almost every parent that I've talked to is doing the same sort of thing with their kids.

If a parent gets "hyped into" allowing their child to see this movie, can you really blame that on the movie?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I did not know it was actually going to portray teens killing teens until asking a bit. An acquaintance who saw the film verified.

People actually do watch and read the respecive media based on sound reviews of a product.

Actually with PG-13 one would not expect to see the violence on screen that was described to me by a viewer. Halloween was R-rated?
So what did you exactly think was going to happen when you found out about the plot? That the main character was going to hide in a cave the entire time while all the killings happen offscreen? I am not talking about ratings here specifically when talking about Halloween. I am talking about reading a plot and not being able to use common sense of what the movie will display.

The Sixth Sense was PG-13, about ghosts, but why would you think that that they don't show any ghosts or any blood or anything?

Part of the plot of the Hunger Games is about teens killing other teens, why would you think that they would not show any deaths?

It's common sense. It's pretty clear. It's not like the plot says it's about a girl who participates in the a competition. I think it's pretty clear of what are some things that one can expect.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Like many parents, I had concerns about this story. So I read the book before I would let my preteen son read it.

I know what the story is about, I've talked to my son about the book and I have decided that my son is mature enough to see this movie. Almost every parent that I've talked to is doing the same sort of thing with their kids.

If a parent gets "hyped into" allowing their child to see this movie, I don't think you can really blame the movie can you?
Thank you. If you don't educate yourself enough of what your children are reading or what movies they are going to watch then maybe you shouldn't be parenting. You just have to educate your children on the subject matter if it's something controversial, not hide it from them. They will only want to see it more.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 PM

Similar to the Labyrinth story in Greek mythology where previous killings are alluded to but none occurr of the captives. The only person killed is the Minotaur.

I did not see Sixth Sense.

I answered this above. You are repeating yourself. I never hear of this film until the hype for teens came out recently and wanted to confirm the story line and what is shown on screen.

No it is not. It is Hollywood. I did not know what Harry Potter was like until seeing the first one. I do not live in a world of teenage literature. Are you really an adult?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

If a parent gets "hyped into" allowing their child to see this movie, can you really blame that on the movie?
That is why I am doing this information search which has become a position rationalization.

What age is your son?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Similar to the Labyrinth story in Greek mythology where previous killings are alluded to but none occur of the incidents. The only person killed is the Minotaur.

I did not see Sixth Sense.

I answered this above. You are repeating yourself. I never hear of this film until the hype for teens came out recently and wanted to confirm the story line and what is shown on screen.

No it is not. It is Hollywood. I did not know what Harry Potter was like until seeing the first one. I do not live in a world of teenager literature. Are you really an adult?
Are you being serious? I don't live in a world of teenage literature either. But I am smart enough to know that when I read a plot of a movie that will have people killing other people, I at least have the common sense to understand that most likely that will be onscreen. I don't need people to fill me in on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies