Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:54 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Not at all. I am entirely impassive but fascinated at your contortions over this topic. I do not understand fan-ism.

But I have since the original posting found I am correct. The film has rather violent moments which an acquaintance who viewed the film was also surprised considering the rating.

I think you need to read back on yours and reflect on your conduct.
Don't really care, I am done discussing it with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 02:56 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
You were never actually discussing it after your first post in response to mine.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
That is what it says. Is that not the premise? I think you are having a problem with debating a real point that the film deals with the mortal combat or hunt between teens. There is no justification for exposing one's children to this. People are taking their children to see this. Good parenting? Is that how you were raised?
I was watching rated R movies when I was like 7. My daughter is 9 and has seen rated R movies. After seeing it myself I may or may not allow her to watch this depending on how graphic it is. Honestly, I think it will be fine for her. She has shown herself capable of handling such things. She gets far more upset at seeing the Sarah McLachlin ASPCA commercials than seeing any movie or TV show.

Quote:
What defense can you possibly have if they are shown killing each other on screen? I just found out there are a number of on screen deaths which are quite gripping and may traumatize childen.
Why does there need to a defense of it? It's part of the story. Out of all the forms of entertainment we have in this world you are going to have an issue with this? I find reality TV far more offensive than this. At least this is a creatively written story and not needless drama created in people's real lives for entertainment.

Quote:
Insults are the actual refuge of the dense in that they do not have the ability to articulate pro/con. Is that you?
I wasnt insulting you, I was asking a question and making a point. Any person of reasonable intelligence would know that reading a two-line premise isnt the entire movie. The movie just doesnt consist of a bunch of kids thrown into an arena to kill each other. It goes much deeper and you know very well that is true because that is how all forms of entertainment are.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I was watching rated R movies when I was like 7. My daughter is 9 and has seen rated R movies. After seeing it myself I may or may not allow her to watch this depending on how graphic it is. Honestly, I think it will be fine for her. She has shown herself capable of handling such things. She gets far more upset at seeing the Sarah McLachlin ASPCA commercials than seeing any movie or TV show.

Why does there need to a defense of it? It's part of the story. Out of all the forms of entertainment we have in this world you are going to have an issue with this? I find reality TV far more offensive than this. At least this is a creatively written story and not needless drama created in people's real lives for entertainment.

I wasnt insulting you, I was asking a question and making a point. Any person of reasonable intelligence would know that reading a two-line premise isnt the entire movie. The movie just doesnt consist of a bunch of kids thrown into an arena to kill each other. It goes much deeper and you know very well that is true because that is how all forms of entertainment are.
Not so long ago you would be labeled an unfit parent for allowing your 9year old to watch R rated films. In fact, I do recall when a number of popular network television programs in my childhood were cancelled due to violence which is mellow by today's standards. I note the general decline of parenting skills and everyone notes the increase in desensitivity and violence among our youth. But of course, Parents always think "never their child" and never their own inattention/supervision.

We do not watch reality tv. We do not have violent video games at home. I was in the Service but never saw wartime and detest games which glorify killing people.(I trained for that as an adult and knew it was not a game) My father was a combat veteran and believed that 1st person computer shooter games were sickening our kids.

You were insulting and simplistic in your quip which I guess you thought was cute but really embarrassing if you are an adult. The title and youthful cast do not seem to match a gladitorial or Naked Prey type of film. I never heard of this story except for what I saw in the trailer. Your analysis is in error. Even ET the other evening mentioned it and I note there is some concern among parental sites for the violence which is borderline R rating.

Basically you and the other zealot have your own standards but they are considerably removed from mine.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-22-2012 at 10:25 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 10:04 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Not so long ago you would be labeled an unfit parent for allowing your 9year old to watch R rated films. In fact, I do recall when a number of popular network television programs in my childhood were cancelled due to violence which is mellow by today's standards. I note the general decline of parenting skills and everyone notes the increase in desensitivity and violence among our youth. But of course, Parents always think "never their child" and never their own inattention/supervision.
Parent your children and watch they see wont have that much of an impact. Most of the kids I knew that ended up on drugs, pregnant at 16, or in jail were the kids that were sheltered as children and never got exposed to the real world. It wasnt the kids who were allowed a more liberal childhood. I want my kids to know what this world is really like so they are prepared for it and dont get overboard overindulging themselves in life's vices due to the shock.

Quote:
We do not watch reality tv. We do not have violent video games at home. I was in the Service but never saw wartime and detest games which glorify shooting people.(I trained for that as an adult and knew it was not a game) My father was a combat veteran and believed that 1st person computer shooter games were sickening our kids.
A video game is not going to damage kids if you parent them correctly. Have you ever heard of imagination? How are kids suppose to nurture their curiosity and think creatively if they are sheltered from things that exist in this world.

Quote:
You were insulting and simplistic in your quip which I guess you thought was cute but really embarrassing if you are an adult. The title and youthful cast do not seem to match a gladitorial or Naked Prey type of film. I never heard of this story except for what I saw in the trailer. Your analysis is in error. Even ET the other evening mentioned it and I note there is some concern among parental sites for the violence which is borderline R rating.
If you find anything I said previously insulting or embarrassing I highly suggest you remove the stick from your ass. (Now, that's an insult) If you find what I said previously insulting you are entirely too sensitive for a grown adult and that is something I would find embarrassing.

My analysis is in error? You realize I have read the books not once but twice, right? You really believe that a two line synopsis is representative of the entire story? Really? Name one movie or book that could be summarized in a two lines? If you got the past the third grade, you know better.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:

We do not watch reality tv. We do not have violent video games at home. I was in the Service but never saw wartime and detest games which glorify shooting people.(I trained for that as an adult and knew it was not a game) My father was a combat veteran and believed that 1st person computer shooter games were sickening our kids.

Basically you and the other zealot have your own standards but they are considerably removed from mine.
Oh okay, so our standards are wrong, but yours are right and we should have to agree and adhere to yours. Okay Rick Santorum.

BTW I am not a zealot, you have proven to be one more than anyone else on this thread. You think it's not appropiate for kids and you don't like violence. We get it. That's not why this thread was created for.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 AM

^^ToRoj...Well, look at who blew a gasket because they could not defend a position.

You are not in any manner qualified to make the parental claims you have made nor the child development ones as well. The manner in which you have taken a decided ill turn in the communication shows you have issues accepting criticism. I see I was correct all along in my initial judgement. Perhaps you should have watched less violence in your time so you do not then lose it on the Internet.

As with other fanism encountered I notice they tend to be blind and deaf to any counter arguments and then go on a rant as you have just done. Typical and predicatable.

I am sure my educational credentials will stand considerable scrutiny.

To chi... Actually I said you have yours and I have mine. I actually wrote that twice but you folks just cannot believe in that sort of thing and insist and so this continues.

This thread is who is going to see this film. I inquired about it and have not yet received a direct response to the question. (Which I know now.) No wonder you would not respond. You and the other fellow cannot let it go because the topic must fit your conceptulizations of right for yourself(ok) and everyone else(no).

Old 03-22-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Parent your children and watch they see wont have that much of an impact. Most of the kids I knew that ended up on drugs, pregnant at 16, or in jail were the kids that were sheltered as children and never got exposed to the real world. It wasnt the kids who were allowed a more liberal childhood. I want my kids to know what this world is really like so they are prepared for it and dont get overboard overindulging themselves in life's vices due to the shock.

A video game is not going to damage kids if you parent them correctly. Have you ever heard of imagination? How are kids suppose to nurture their curiosity and think creatively if they are sheltered from things that exist in this world.

If you find anything I said previously insulting or embarrassing I highly suggest you remove the stick from your ass. (Now, that's an insult) If you find what I said previously insulting you are entirely too sensitive for a grown adult and that is something I would find embarrassing.

My analysis is in error? You realize I have read the books not once but twice, right? You really believe that a two line synopsis is representative of the entire story? Really? Name one movie or book that could be summarized in a two lines? If you got the past the third grade, you know better.
Couldn't agree more. My parents were very liberal with me, which allowed me to be controlled in college were I didn't abuse drugs or alcohol. Most of the sheltered people I know have had difficulty adapting to that since college. One friend is literally an alcoholic and the other is a total pot head. They were both sheltered. I think it's good for kids to be exposed to stuff and as long as there is a parent there to guide them.

The two problems I have with sheltering are this:

1) They will find/see/do it in an other way when you are not watching. Unless you are with your kids 24/7 they will be exposed to it, so better to educate them and it be through you so they know what's right and wrong.

2) Sheltering will want them to do it even more.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
^^ToRoj...Well, look at who blew a gasket because they could not defend a position.

You are not in any manner qualified to make the parental claims you have made nor the child development ones as well. The manner in which you have taken a decided ill turn in the communication shows you have issues accepting criticism. I see I was correct all along in my initial judgement. Perhaps you should have watched less violence in your time so you do not then lose it on the Internet.

As with other fanism encountered I notice they tend to be blind and deaf to any counter arguements and then go on a rant as you have just done. Typical and predicatable.

I think my educational creditentials will stand considerable scrutiny.

To chi... Actually I said you have yours and I have mine. I actually wrote that twice but you folks just cannot believe in that sort of thing and insist and so this continues.
Seriously just stop. You are on the City-data forums in the entertainment movie section. No one gives a s*** about your creditentials or your experience. In fact if you are so knowledgeable and enlightened on the subject, why are you wasting your time on such a trivial website, further more, such a trivial forum? Says more about you than us. Not only that you are insulting to some of the parents here, questioning their parenting skills.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:17 AM

^^I was not responding to you but to a comment made by Roj regarding eduation.

The rest of your question is rhetoric sarcasm and not worth answering as I see you have also succumbed to immaturity and the need to spill vitriol because you are unable to manage an exhange of communication. Does not really sound as if you had the control you claim. Too bad for you.

It was a question about the film but you were unwilling to answer because to confirm would have placed moral doubts on the validity of adults allowing teen homicide for pre-teen viewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies