Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:33 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I saw it tonight. Liked it. I admit freely that I like movies like this -- it's totally my cup of tea. It was a bit drawn out in the romance subplot and I noticed that during those scenes, the audience got restless. But the overall story was good, if predictable. (I never read the books. I can imagine that 100 years ago when they were written, they were quite forward. But watching the movie, I was reminded of Indiana Jones, Avatar, and the Chronicles of Riddick, amongst others.)

I don't think they'll make any sequels because this one cost a LOT of money to make, and doesn't seem set to do well during its run. Glad I saw this one on the big screen -- it's definitely a "big screen" sort of flick.
I agree on all points. I thought the movie was enjoyable, and I"m glad I saw it on the big screen. The best professional review I read said that it's like going to a birthday party only to discover that someone beat you to it and ate the cake and popped the balloons. John Carter was very familiar and very predictable but only because it was the source material for so much of the "space opera" genre. I think it's a real shame that this movie wasn't done before Star Wars, because I thought strictly from a story telling perspective, this story was superior. Interesting to also consider -- this story of a super strong man who could do great leaps and bounds was before superman. Burroughs was truly doing cutting edge stuff 100 years ago. It's a testament to his work that it holds up, even if it is a little stiff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 06:20 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I heard it cost Disney $300 million to make. I don't know how they thought they were going to recoup that cash. Some people are predicting that it will barely top $30 million this weekend. That's pretty much a flop, and a pricey one.
Well, it depends on how you define "flop," I guess. If by flop you mean "lost money," then Jon Carter certainly will not be a flop. It didn't light the world on fire at the box office this weekend, but between domestic and foreign sales, it did okay. By the time you factor in all the licensing, cable rights, DVD sales, etc., etc., etc. it will be well into the black.

Critics' views have been mixed. The movie certainly isn't being panned. It's no Ishtar or Speed Racer. But it isn't really exciting anyone either.

This is the weirdest movie release I've seen from a major studio in a long, long time. For some reason, "industry insiders" decided this movie was going to fail and started reporting exactly that ... long before a single person had seen the movie. Why? I have no idea. But the studio even seems to have caught the disease, because their promotion for this flick has been lacklustre to downright bad.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Well, it depends on how you define "flop," I guess. If by flop you mean "lost money," then Jon Carter certainly will not be a flop. It didn't light the world on fire at the box office this weekend, but between domestic and foreign sales, it did okay. By the time you factor in all the licensing, cable rights, DVD sales, etc., etc., etc. it will be well into the black.

Critics' views have been mixed. The movie certainly isn't being panned. It's no Ishtar or Speed Racer. But it isn't really exciting anyone either.

This is the weirdest movie release I've seen from a major studio in a long, long time. For some reason, "industry insiders" decided this movie was going to fail and started reporting exactly that ... long before a single person had seen the movie. Why? I have no idea. But the studio even seems to have caught the disease, because their promotion for this flick has been lacklustre to downright bad.
I think the movie is solid enough for it to do well. There will probably even be a sequel.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:22 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
OK, It came out this weekend. I'm anxious to hear your opinions...
I can't go see it until next Tuesday. Please tell me it it is as good as
all the hype..........
Critic reviews - awful

Viewer reviews - GOOD

The "viewer" reviews are based on my friends who are mostly writers/actors/comic book junkies. For the most part, everyone seemed to love the movie. But critics have been really dogging it.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,691 times
Just saw it last night. I liked it. There were few moments that were dragging and probably could be done better, but the movie overall was very good and the plot/story actually was pretty good, with a surprise ending. Also, it was a sci-fi love story, which I did not know (I thought it was just a sci-fi), but it's all good because I had a good time and glad that I went to see it in big screen. Some parts reminded me of Star Wars, such as the fight scene in the large field surrounded by aliens, the small aircrafts that looked like the flying motorcycles from Star Wars (whatever they are called). Highly recommended!!

BTW, does anyone else think the heroine (Lynn Collins) looks a lot like Olivia Wilde (Tron Legacy...Cowboys and Aliens) and also a little like that hot Asian chick from True Lies (Tia Carrere) ???

Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
Just saw it last night. I liked it. There were few moments that were dragging and probably could be done better, but the movie overall was very good and the plot/story actually was pretty good, with a surprise ending. Also, it was a sci-fi love story, which I did not know (I thought it was just a sci-fi), but it's all good because I had a good time and glad that I went to see it in big screen. Some parts reminded me of Star Wars, such as the fight scene in the large field surrounded by aliens, the small aircrafts that looked like the flying motorcycles from Star Wars (whatever they are called). Highly recommended!!

BTW, does anyone else think the heroine (Lynn Collins) looks a lot like Olivia Wilde (Tron Legacy...Cowboys and Aliens) and also a little like that hot Asian chick from True Lies (Tia Carrere) ???
I saw it yesterday and couldn't agree with you more. Being a sci-fi fan I would rank it in the top 15 of my list. It was very well done. Can't understand why the audiences didn't show up.
And Lynn Collinsis georgeous.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
I saw it yesterday and couldn't agree with you more. Being a sci-fi fan I would rank it in the top 15 of my list. It was very well done. Can't understand why the audiences didn't show up.
And Lynn Collinsis georgeous.
I hope this one has enough quiet buzz to do alright after all -- at least well enough to merit a big budget sequel. The plot was compelling enough, and there is enough source material, to work this into a franchise.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
The estimated write-off for 'John Carter' will be at least $165,000,000, according to Daily Variety.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The estimated write-off for 'John Carter' will be at least $165,000,000, according to Daily Variety.
That's because Disney has great lawyers, not because this movie won't make well over its price tag when all is said and done.

Between ticket sales, DVD sales, cable rights, licensing fees, etc., etc., etc. it is practically impossbile to lose money on a movie these days. You could make Springtime For Hitler starring Rod Blagojevich for $500 million, and it would still eventually run in the black.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,691 times
Agree wholeheartedly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Between ticket sales, DVD sales, cable rights, licensing fees, etc., etc., etc. it is practically impossbile to lose money on a movie these days. You could make Springtime For Hitler starring Rod Blagojevich for $500 million, and it would still eventually run in the black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies