U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2012, 02:24 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,960,030 times
Default Do foreign films winning an Oscar make you more likely to go?

I was wondering whether for the Iranian film, A Separation, the fact that it won the Oscar, or the winner's emotional acceptance, moved any of you to go see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 05:20 PM

623 posts, read 520,513 times
Saw it in a local theater and loved it, very complex and well-done. I watch foreign movies a lot regardless of Oscar, but had some friends go with me for this one because of the Oscar status and they loved it.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:32 AM

13,039 posts, read 14,656,385 times
I watch those films because I love them. An Oscar nomination does not necessarily mean I will like a film so I just go and see what I want to long before the Oscar furore. I would say a large porportion of films I see are foreign.

I see very few mainstream films ( apart from Animated films) as I have learnt that more often than not they do not speak to me.

"A Separation" is superb, beautifully acted, poignant and a little gem of a film and it bothers me that there is a "best foreign film" category as the best film should win , regardless of the language it is in. Best is Best be it in Swahili, Inuit or English.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 PM

5,428 posts, read 5,755,197 times
I'd say yes. One because I'm more likely to hear of it. Two its a pretty good recommendation which I look for before I watch most film. I still have to like the general concept though.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 PM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,039,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I was wondering whether for the Iranian film, A Separation, the fact that it won the Oscar, or the winner's emotional acceptance, moved any of you to go see it.
Without an Oscar, another prestigious award, or spectacular word of mouth, many venues - even entire areas/towns - would never get some of these movies to show in the first place. So, a lot of people wouldn't have had the choice or have heard of it unless they're such movie buffs that they'd travel to see it. As for me, I did happen to hear about this particular movie before it won the Oscar - haven't seen it yet but it's on the list. There've definitely been movies that I hadn't heard of until they won an award, though, and if it appeals to me then I'll try to check it out. That happens a lot with animated shorts and other shorts - so many of them out there, it'd be hard to always choose the ones destined for awards.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:32 PM

5,383 posts, read 7,169,365 times
I only watched The Prophet because of the Oscar attention it received. I'm a huge fan of foreign films but I mostly choose a film based on the actors in them. Particularly French and German films.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 PM

13,788 posts, read 9,323,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I saw it, partly because it won the Oscar, but partly because my son, who works at the Salt Lake Film Society (which shows primarily foreign and independent films) highly recommended it. My husband and I both thought it was better than any of the movies nominated for Best Picture (we saw all of them except for Tree of Life). It was probably the best movie I've seen in the past year.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM

623 posts, read 520,513 times
The Prophet was awesome, French action movies in general are a class of their own !! I am also heavily into Scandinavian movies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I only watched The Prophet because of the Oscar attention it received. I'm a huge fan of foreign films but I mostly choose a film based on the actors in them. Particularly French and German films.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies