U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,042 times

Advertisements

Many critically-acclaimed films seem to be films which have a deep underlying message such as:

* 12 Angry Men addressing reasonable doubt
* Grave of the Fireflies addressing the consequences of nuclear weapons
* City of God addressing the cycle of violence in a slum
* The Lives of Others addressing the questioning of one's ideology
* One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest addressing the questioning of insanity

But what about films which don't really have a deep underyling message but are just very entertaining and watchable such as:

* The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
* Yojimbo
* Ringu
* Let the Right One In
* Infernal Affairs
* Inception

Does a film NEED an underyling message to be a good film (i.e. 12 Angry Men and Grave of the Fireflies) or can a film simply be a good film because it's entertaining and watchable (i.e The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and Let the Right One In)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 PM

3,484 posts, read 5,551,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250052 View Post
Great movie but no nuclear weapons.

The B29s were dropping incendiary bomblets which started huge firestorms. Many, many Japanese civilians burned to death.

Anyway, The movie isn't about weapons, it's about the horrors of war.

Quote:
Does a film NEED an underyling message to be a good film.....
No it does not.

Last edited by karlsch; 04-05-2012 at 08:17 PM..

Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 PM

31,157 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Every film has a message, even if that message is: "Gee, this ***** is funny!"

Old 04-08-2012, 11:59 AM

14,565 posts, read 10,148,267 times
This is all films need

Public Relations - YouTube

Old 04-08-2012, 06:45 PM

2,699 posts, read 5,151,595 times
Not for me! I have VERY pedestrian taste when it comes to movies. No underlying message necessary. (I like the message movies sometimes, and the serious movies and the art-house flicks, but I'm not very critical when it comes to movies. A "good movie" for me is, simply, one that I liked, and sometimes I even like the bad ones.)

Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times
A movie doesn't NEED an underlying message to be good. But an underlying message certainly adds to any story. It doesn't necessarily make it good. There are lots of stories out there where it's obvious the underlying message was the whole point, and they end up coming across as not so much stories as sermons.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:36 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
All movies have a message; some just aren't as prevalent.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 AM

21,026 posts, read 15,229,299 times
Quote:
Many critically-acclaimed films seem to be films which have a deep underlying message such as:

But what about films which don't really have a deep underyling message but are just very entertaining and watchable such as:

* Yojimbo
* Ringu
* Let the Right One In
* Infernal Affairs
* Inception

Does a film NEED an underyling message to be a good film (i.e. 12 Angry Men and Grave of the Fireflies) or can a film simply be a good film because it's entertaining and watchable (i.e The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and Let the Right One In)?

Great question!
I vote 'no' - I actually prefer my movies to simply be entertaining. I hate being preached to or emotionally manipulated at the movies.
Not saying that I don't love "To Kill a Mockingbird,' but, these days I much prefer any of the Marvel incarnations to 'message' movies like "The Help."

Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 AM

455 posts, read 745,673 times
Quote:

* Yojimbo
* Ringu
* Let the Right One In
* Infernal Affairs
* Inception

Did you just list 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,' 'Yojimbo,' 'Let the Right One In,' and hell even 'Inception' as having no underlying meaning???

But anyways yes, I like substance to my films. I am not entertained by stuff like Transformers, but merely find them terrible examples of cinema and it is exhausting watching them.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:28 AM

33,945 posts, read 32,373,038 times
I really can't stand movies that hit you over the head with their message. One of my least favorite movies ever was "The Contender." I wanted to take a shower after that one. They come out of the woodwork during presidential election years and close to election day. It could be related to the favorite issue of their favorite candidate as opposed to being about politics but it's all about the timing. I seem to recall there is one due out this year but don't remember the name of it, just chuckled when I heard about the release date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or