U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 PM

8,402 posts, read 11,003,904 times

Advertisements

I didn't like Avatar at all. It was Fern Gully with machine guns. And honestly, I wasn't all that impressed with the effects. The Na'vi looked like exceptionally elegant cartoons, but they didn't look real. Gollum looked 100 times better than any of the Na'vi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think some 80's movies have held up pretty well...

-back to the future I and II (not so sure about 3). Maybe westerns seem outdated with all this technology today.

-ghostbusters. I still quote it.

-ferris bullers day off. I still quote it.

-gremlins. Pretty good kids fantasy.

ET still has movie "magic" (i.e. the bike chase over the moon). I think if you can still quote movies, and/or the movie induces "movie magic", it hasn't aged that badly.
I don't think that really has much to do with how well a movie has aged; I quote horrible movies all the time. E.T is before my time and I remember the first time watching it when I was like 9; I didn't care for it .Watched it again when I got older and didn't care for it even more.

Those other movies you posted I'd say have aged pretty well [imo].

As far as Avatar; I think people have been over that movie. I remember lots of people going to see it ,but the reviews were mixed.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 PM

12,156 posts, read 10,645,536 times
Quote:
I think some 80's movies have held up pretty well...

-back to the future I and II (not so sure about 3). Maybe westerns seem outdated with all this technology today.

-ghostbusters. I still quote it.

-ferris bullers day off. I still quote it.

-gremlins. Pretty good kids fantasy.

ET still has movie "magic" (i.e. the bike chase over the moon). I think if you can still quote movies, and/or the movie induces "movie magic", it hasn't aged that badly.
I agree with you (except Gremlins; I tried to watch that as an adult and it was horrid). E.T is a classic movie for me so I can watch it tomorrow and still enjoy it.

Howard the Duck on the other hand

Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 PM

2,830 posts, read 3,346,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I agree with you (except Gremlins; I tried to watch that as an adult and it was horrid). E.T is a classic movie for me so I can watch it tomorrow and still enjoy it.

Howard the Duck on the other hand
I think Gremlins was pretty innovative at the time. It combined horror, comedy, fantasy. And Chris Columbus writes pretty good movies. I think the first home alone has aged pretty well.

In terms of quoting movies, some dialogue can get very outdated (like "Ah Gee Wally" on leave it to beaver. "That's keen". Happy Days dialogue, etc).

Ghostbusters is almost 30 years old, but the quotes are still pretty funny and relevant.

Howard the Duck was one of the biggest bombs of the last 30 years. What a mess.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:39 PM

3,242 posts, read 1,405,754 times
I always hated the movie. This was popular when I was a little kid and I thought it was lame then. Speilberg just poured way too much sap into it. I like most of his movies and this is my least favorite. I have no idea why it did so well, I think some things just kind of hit at the right time and it hit Middle America perfectly. I watched Mac and Me and I enjoyed that more, at least it was so stupid as to be funny, ET is just too sickeningly sweet.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:46 AM

8,402 posts, read 11,003,904 times
Gremlins totally holds up. I still enjoy watching it.

Ghostbusters is perhaps the funniest movie of the 1980s.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I think Gremlins was pretty innovative at the time. It combined horror, comedy, fantasy. And Chris Columbus writes pretty good movies. I think the first home alone has aged pretty well.

In terms of quoting movies, some dialogue can get very outdated (like "Ah Gee Wally" on leave it to beaver. "That's keen". Happy Days dialogue, etc).

Ghostbusters is almost 30 years old, but the quotes are still pretty funny and relevant.

Howard the Duck was one of the biggest bombs of the last 30 years. What a mess.
Yeah I love Ghostbusters. Every once in awhile I'll randomly tell someone I am the gatekeeper and ask if they have the key I still watch Home Alone every Christmas (in between the Christmas Story of course). Same with Karate Kid. I didn't dislike the remake but I still love the original. And Jurassic Park. And Overboard. And the Princess Bride. And Driving Ms. Daisy. And Fried Green Tomatoes. And Steel Magnolias. And Misery.

Actually thinking about it I usually watch older movies that I've seen 101 times vs new movies.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:07 PM

4,402 posts, read 10,044,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Universal Studios in Orlando must think it's great considering they built an attraction for it. The ride is very cute, as was the movie. Was it GREAT? No, I don't think so but it was a good movie for its time.
Just returned from Universal. The ride, was "cute" but I was told by employees it may soon be replaced.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Just returned from Universal. The ride, was "cute" but I was told by employees it may soon be replaced.
They're replacing all the olde stuff. King Kong is gone, most of Jurassic park is gone, back to the future is gone and I'm pretty sure Jaws is closed as well. Personally I think Universal needs complete overall. That Twister attraction is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. You stand there..the wind blows and then a cow flies by on a string, some stuff blows up and then it all resets while you're standing there.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:18 AM

1,870 posts, read 4,055,594 times
lol- enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMW3W-G43gI

Last edited by Positiveone; 04-30-2012 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies