Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 PM

758 posts, read 1,235,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
Ok, I'll admit that initially I liked Ghostbusters 2 better than 1. But realize that I saw GB 2 in the theaters, when it first came out, back in 1989 and I was 11 years old at the time. I thought it was better simply because it was a new GB story. Now I realize that the original is superior. The only thing good to come out of GB 2 was that song, On our Own, by Bobby Brown.
You got my hopes up that I am not the only one then it came crashing down, you are mean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 02:46 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Police Academy 2 was a shade funnier than the original with the addition of Zed and Mr. Sweetchuck. With a little toned down humor, the jokes were a bit more subtle and it didn't rely quite so much on shots of naked chicks/sexual situations.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
Scream 2 is almost as good as the original, I could not say the same for part 3 however..have not seen Scream 4 yet....
Both 1 and 2 are good, but I give an edge to Scream 2. It was more entertaining and scarier imo

Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think Terminator 2 is the best sequel ever for a major franchise, I never seen part 3 but I heard it is not as good as the first 2 and I have no desire to watch Terminator 4 since Arnold is not in it

I thought the Keymaster enemy in Ghostbusters is crap, Vigo is miles better....

On the last statement, that could not been more true! I think Ghostbusters 3 is going to bomb big time! I gave you rep!
I usually don't dissect movies or over analyze them. But T2 is just awesome. To me it's miles ahead of spiderman, pirates of the carribean or any modern franchise movie.

-It doesn't talk down to the audience. It doesn't pander to them. It doesn't insert characters just to make money (Jar Jar binks, phantom menace?).

You don't say to yourself....they did this to reach a female audience. Or they did this because they want to do blank (like putting penelope cruz in the last pirates movie, to expand the reach). Even though that's a good franchise, I think there's a purity to T2 that you don't get in a modern Disney franchise, Sony, etc that wants to get a big audience.

-Razor sharp editing and script.

-A lot of symbolism and imagery you don't get in modern movies.

Modern movies (after 1995 or 2000) are more like a happy meal (for mass consumption). Have to meet those focus groups? Have to appeal to every audience? Every demo? You get meet the fockers with jessica alba, comic based movies, ghostbusters III, etc.

The 3 stooges movie looked horrible from the trailer.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:29 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Good call on Superman II

I liked Ghostbusters 2 than the first because it is a darker film and has a better villian
Come on, nothing beats the Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:39 AM

10 posts, read 27,130 times
Terminator 2 - unbeatable in this area!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Just curious what sequels you think that are better than the original?

Here is my list:

Terminator 2
Batman Returns
Home Alone 2
Karate Kid II
Scary Movie 2
Gremlins 2
Child's Play 2
Aliens
Short Circuit 2
Ghostbusters 2
Back to the Future II
Poltergeist II
Bad Boys 2
Robocop 2
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer

I am sure there is more but that is all I can think of for now
Batman Returns was NOT better than the first one with Jack Nicholson and Kim Basinger.

The Home Alone movies were about even.

The second Karate Kid was indeed the best one. The parking lot scene with Mr. Miyagi and Sensei Kreese is classic.

Ghostbusters I was better than Ghostbusters II (minus the Bobby Brown songs). The first one had Slimer and the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. Nuff said.

And yes, Terminator 2 was better than the original. The Liquid Terminator would not stop. That guy still gives me nightmares.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampass View Post
I prefer Godfather 2 to the original.
Absolutely.

The original Godfather seems a little corny if you watch it enough times. The Godfather II had a far more complex storyline, was far more emotional, had far more character development, and was just an overall "darker" movie. It was amazing to see how all the different events in Michael's life (Apollonia dying, Fredo's betrayal, Kay's abortion) transformed him from this clean-cut, Ivy League kid to the cold-hearted, remorseless Don. Robert Duvall was also more prominent in the second movie and his acting was nothing short of superb. The scene where he convinces Frank Pantageli to commit suicide should go down as one of the best of all time.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:39 PM

811 posts, read 810,044 times
Any which way you can -sequel to Every which way but loose
Magnum Force better than Dirty Harry
Star Wars Episode II better than Episode I ,Episode III better than II
Return of the Jedi better than A New Hope

Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
This is T2's only flaw:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies