Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:39 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What genius went into the Dark Knight Rises? It certainly wasn't the writing. It certainly wasn't the acting. I'll give the film and graphic crews their due props, but that's about it. Besides, it's not about what people in a C-D thread could produce. We compare movies and moviemakers to other movies and moviemakers. That's the standard.

Hans Landa (played by Christophe Waltz) in Inglorious Basterds was a far better character than anything ever conceived in one of Nolan's scripts. As much as people criticize Tarantino, the man has a talent for creating memorable dialogue.
Being able to come up with that story period and putting it together is genius. All the layers, characters, conflicts, and everything else. Nolan is far better than most.

Hans Landa is a far better character than what you will find in just about any movie.

Quote:
I suppose this would be the case if you find the G.I. Joe and Transformer type movies to be absolutely riveting.
I actually have seen very little of the superhero movies made. I havent seen GI Joe, I have only seen the first Transformers movie, and saw the first two Spiderman movies from the last decade but other than that, I havent seen any of the others that I remember. For the most part I dont like the genre but I have always liked Batman and will watch anything Nolan puts out.

Quote:
And I can find lots of people who follow it religiously and can recite every single line. Try finding people who can recite more than five lines from any of these last three Batman movies.

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I'll make him an offer he won't refuse.

Don't ever take sides with anyone against the family again.

I'm smart, I can handle things!

Every time I try to get out, they keep pullin' me back in!

The Don can never refuse a request on the day of his daughter's wedding.
Not much on movie quotes. I couldnt give you a single quote from any movie I have ever seen without looking it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 01:37 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Being able to come up with that story period and putting it together is genius. All the layers, characters, conflicts, and everything else.
If you say so. I thought the storyline was rather pedestrian and the relationships among characters rather shallow. Then again, I don't really expect a storyline to be all that complex in Batman, Bad Boys or Men In Black. I only expect it to be well developed, well organized and easy to follow, much like reading an article in GQ Magazine.

Quote:
I actually have seen very little of the superhero movies made. I havent seen GI Joe, I have only seen the first Transformers movie, and saw the first two Spiderman movies from the last decade but other than that, I havent seen any of the others that I remember.
I thought this movie was attempting to be "deep" with a fair number of the juvenile accoutrements we've seen in other superhero movies (i.e., Fantastic Four, Ironman, etc.). Those two goals seem to be inherently antagonstic to each other, imo. When you try to do both, I feel that you get a film that is neither particularly "deep" nor entertaining.

Quote:
For the most part I dont like the genre but I have always liked Batman and will watch anything Nolan puts out.
Eh. Nolan's alright. I thought the Dark Knight was good, but I was much more entertained by the recent Sherlock Holmes movies. I'm a sucker for good, quick dry wit (i.e., the Golden Girls, Cheers, Inglorious Basterds, Ocean's 11, etc.). For example, I love when the police captain says to Sherlock Holmes, "Holmes, you would make a fine criminal in a different life" and then Holmes replies, "And you, sir, would make a fine police officer."

That type of stuff cracks me up.

Quote:
Not much on movie quotes. I couldnt give you a single quote from any movie I have ever seen without looking it up.
So you didn't know where the "I'll make you an offer you won't refuse" line came from?

Old 07-20-2012, 04:54 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
I liked it.

I won't say it's as good as TDK, but worth my money. It's just the way it ended that I had a problem with...

Old 07-20-2012, 06:50 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
I just got back from seeing it & I thought it was awsome!. I've always loved the comic myself. I see where some of you thought Bane should of been bigger yet trying to find someone who can act & who is huge isn't easy. So they went with someone who could act. I liked the ending although I will miss Bale as Batman. I think she pulled playing Catwomen off without a hitch. I'm glad they brought Bane into this one. Other then the Joker & Ra's Batman didn't have a lot of enemies that pushed him. You had other story lines that would of been sweet to have seen but they included having Robin in them. Hush was one of them. My only REAL problem with Bale being Batman as he wasn't tall enough. They had one scene where Dent & him were standing on a rooftop & Dent was taller then Bats. That's nitpicking though. I'm likey to go see it again before the weekend is out.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I just got back from seeing it & I thought it was awsome!. I've always loved the comic myself. I see where some of you thought Bane should of been bigger yet trying to find someone who can act & who is huge isn't easy. So they went with someone who could act. I liked the ending although I will miss Bale as Batman. I think she pulled playing Catwomen off without a hitch. I'm glad they brought Bane into this one. Other then the Joker & Ra's Batman didn't have a lot of enemies that pushed him. You had other story lines that would of been sweet to have seen but they included having Robin in them. Hush was one of them. My only REAL problem with Bale being Batman as he wasn't tall enough. They had one scene where Dent & him were standing on a rooftop & Dent was taller then Bats. That's nitpicking though. I'm likey to go see it again before the weekend is out.
It was a great cast.

And I really didn't get so many people complaining about Anne as Catwoman. She kicked ass (both as the actor and character)! Everyone worked well off of each other.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It was a great cast.

And I really didn't get so many people complaining about Anne as Catwoman. She kicked ass (both as the actor and character)! Everyone worked well off of each other.
Agreed I was worried about the movie not living up to the hype but I was blowen away by it. I think they ended it well & who knows Bale might come back. I did hear that he would be willing to do a fourth movie.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Agreed I was worried about the movie not living up to the hype but I was blowen away by it. I think they ended it well & who knows Bale might come back. I did hear that he would be willing to do a fourth movie.
This was supposed to be the last.... but with the way it ended, you just HAVE to think there's a strong possiblity of a 4th later on.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
This was supposed to be the last.... but with the way it ended, you just HAVE to think there's a strong possiblity of a 4th later on.

It would open up A lot of other story lines if they did Robin which it looks like they are.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:22 AM

9 posts, read 9,974 times
Quote:
If you notice, all the stuff about Nolan not doing another movie was him saying he wouldn't do another "Batman" movie. A Robin movie is a possibility with Bale coming back too hopefully.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 AM

9 posts, read 9,974 times
I personally really liked TDKR. I don't think it is at all comparable with TDK because they are very different types of movies. This was really the anti-TDK if you think about it. The villain was a psychical rival with Batman more than intellectual (not to say he was dumb, but they were able to figure out his plots easily) which set up a war situation not the crime-psycho thriller of TDK. Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon-Levitt really carried this film when we saw Batman/Bruce, Commissioner Gordon, Alfred, and Lucius Fox a whole lot less than expected. I thought both Hathaway and G-L were excellent. Loved the scenes with Bruce in the prison because it really showed his strength and his determination to help the people of Gotham. The ending rivaled the perfect ending the TDK (though I think it fell short of it slightly). It did make for a very interesting spin-off/sequel possibility. I know a lot of people complained about the slow first half, but I thought it made for the perfect contrast to the quick-paced second half because a full movie of that intense of action would have been too much. Very emotional movie and excellent effort for the third in a great trilogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies