U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 05:30 PM

414 posts, read 869,222 times

Advertisements

I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of the movies that come out. I really enjoyed the Avengers actually.

But I think there are a few things to attribute to this.

1) Society. The norm in society today is not like it used to be. Someone mentioned live action movies for kids. I remember watching My Girl, Now and Then, and The Mighty Ducks as a kid. On TV I watched Boy Meets World (I still enjoy those reruns by the way.) Look at what kids watch today. Jersey Shore, 16 and Pregnant...of course kids aren't going to like those types of movies, they want smut. As I got older two movies I enjoyed were Remember the Titans, and Miracle. Disney put both of those out, and while they weren't geared for an extremely young crowd, they were good movies.

2) Comedy is different. I think this speaks for itself. Look at the content...it's all foul language, and sexual remarks.

3) The acting. You simply (while this goes back further than the 90s) don't have those iconic, classy actors like Audrey Hepburn. While we have some good actors in their own right today, I don't think they will go down as some of the greats. Again, we do have some that have put out fantastic movies, but I wouldn't say any are timeless.

Those are just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,789,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
As far as kid's movies goes, it seems that animation(specifically Pixar) has really taken over that market. Everything for kids is lovable computer animated animals who can either surf or perform Kung Fu or something along those lines. I can't imagine children's movies with live animals being hits these days unlike when I was a little kid in the 1980s when you had a run of films like the Benji series or the Black Stallion or whatever(not that those movies were really that great). And I'm not sure what movies come out with live action young adult casts that are big hits these days, although they seemed to release a lot more of those until recently.
That's what I mean by more "infantile".

I was around 6-10 years old when the live action "kid" movies were coming out. At that age, you WANT to be "grown up". It definitely wasn't acceptable to publicly like G-rated animated movies at 9 or 10 years old. It would be akin to admitting to watching Barnie or Sesame Street.

Although we did do a rendition of the Lion King in 2nd grade (the year after the movie was released). It was like the biggest thing of the year.

Quote:
Another thing that seems to have are big budget action films based on original screenplay. These days every thing is based on either old TV/Cartoon shows or comic books or even based on cartoons based on 80s toys like GI Joe or Transformers. You have the franchises based on hit book series like Twilight or Harry Potter, but even those are outnumbered by film series based on comic book heroes or cartoons like the Smurfs or Alvin and the Chipmunks.

In fact as far as live action adventure/sci-fi/action films based on original concepts released last year--you have to go down to the 21st and 30th highest grossing films in 2011--Super 8 and Cowboys and Aliens to find anything in those genres that wasn't a sequel or based on a comic book or TV show. Which in a way has been true for a while--but if you look at what's been released over the years it's slowly diminished from the 80s, when you had guys like Spielberg putting out films like Raiders of the Lost Ark or ET. These days big budget pictures don't get green lit unless they're already a franchise or a reboot--except for Avatar.

The top grossing films these days seem to be divided between 3D comic book films, CGI animated kids flicks, and then the occasional raunchy adult comedy or romantic comedy. Serious films don't seem make much of a dent at the box office these days--compared to the 90s when you had films like Pulp Fiction that were among the top grossing films. Even more human centered comedies or dramas are either sleeper hits or ignored for the most part, unless they're Oscar bait...
Interesting, never thought of that...maybe Hollywood is running out of fresh ideas?

Old 12-14-2013, 10:14 PM

13,533 posts, read 4,438,086 times
Some of the suspense movies of the 90's were good: Basic Instinct, The Silence of the Lambs, Bound (more of a dark comedy, really, but very good), JFK, In the Line of Fire, Falling Down, The Game, and Eye for an Eye.

There were also some worthwhile documentaries including American Dream (1990) about the Hormel union's strike in the mid-80's in Austin, MN and was directed by Barbara Kopple.

I would say today's documentaries are probably even a little better overall. However, most movies of every other genre just are not quite as good with an increased special effects emphasis. Clint Eastwood always seems to put out a quality picture at least once every couple years, but a lot of the older directors and actors that won't retire are obviously well beyond their prime and probably should consider it. That would help. Al Pacino's last good performance was Any Given Sunday. He is one of the all time greats, but should finally hang it up. People I Know was mediocre at best.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:19 AM

3,748 posts, read 5,834,949 times
Not too long ago my 17 year old daughter had mentioned the new Footloose and the old Footloose. From that I asked if she had seen Dirty Dancing. She had not, so I got the movie for us to watch. At the end my daughter commented, 'Why don't they make movies like that anymore?'
A very good question.

I think many factors lead to this and it goes begin just two or three decades. The quality of movies has changed from the 40's to the 60's to the 80's and so on.
We had a spree of 'disaster' movies with Armageddon, Dante's Peak/Volcano, etc. But back in the 70's same thing was all over; Earthquake, Towering Inferno, Airport, etc.

For 80's movies, there is the iconic John Huges films, Breakfast Club, Some Kind of Wondeful, 16 Candles and so on. There was the days of Speilberg and Lucas through the 80's and in the 90's we moved to the Cohen brothers and their ilk.

What sort of movies are put out are based on the 'crew' all the way from producer, writer, director and actors.
I think it's less about society, people will go see what ever movie gets released.
And movies will continue to go through their phases. We had a western kick for a while in the 90's and 2000, not quite the same as the days of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, but still was all about the days of the Wild West.

In my opinion, the only good movies that are coming out are those based on books- but not all- Twilight was a book first and was 'dumb' even in printed form. However, Hunger Games was good.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:55 PM

179 posts, read 204,150 times
Movies have only gotten worse over the past two years. When will the downturn end!?

Old 07-30-2015, 01:53 PM

25,457 posts, read 14,556,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What differences do you see between movies made in the '90s and movies made in recent years? Do you agree with my observations?

I've noticed three kind of movies that were popular during the '90s but no longer seem to be:

1) Live action "kid" movies. There were a seemingly infinite number of these that came out from around 1992 to 1998. They usually centered around (sometimes ridiculous) stories of pre-adolescents or early adolescents (children aged 10 through 14), had somewhat improbable plot-lines, and were generally rated PG for the occasional sexual reference or mild curse word. They were invariably rated a star or half a star by high-minded critics but appreciated by the masses of kids, and even their parents.

Some specific movies under this heading include: Heavyweights, Good Burger, North, First Kid, Richie Rich, Blank Check, Sandlot, Jungle 2 Jungle, Kazaam!, Jumanji, Man of the House, the Karate Kid series, Camp Nowhere, Carpool, the Mighty Ducks and 3 Ninjas series, etc. An extensive listing can be found here: }} ) Grit's Guide to Bad Cheesy PG Family Movies ( {{

Although I am totally outside of the current movie scene, it seems like the studios responsible for these movies stopped popping them out around 1998. It also seems as though movies for kids since then have been animated and generally more infantile.

2) Ghetto movies. These focused around the lives of young, lower or working-class blacks. They were almost always set in a marginal neighborhood ("the hood" or "ghetto") and usually emphasized the comedic over the serious or dramatic. The graphic language alone generally earned them an "R" rating. The serious-minded Boyz N Tha Hood seemed to start the fad, which was followed up by a parody, the famous Friday movies, and a bunch of lesser-known films. Rappers cast as stars or making cameo appearances was common.

They seem to be no longer produced, and relegated to the cheap DVD section of pawn shops.

3) PG-13 Comedies. These usually starred leading comedians of the day (Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey), each of whom starred in multiple films of the sub-genre. Movies of this category usually had a cheesy romantic ending and some bawdy jokes or implied sexual relationships, but no explicit nudity, etc., which made them acceptable for pre-teens in the minds of many parents. Examples include The Cable Guy, Dumb and Dumber, Happy Gilmore, Waterboy, and Wedding Singer.

This is the category that I have the most doubts about, but the comedy genre in general seems to have focused on making bawdier, more explicit, and more realistic "R" comedies such as the American Pie series or Wedding Crashers. However, this could just be my perception.
First off there was much more PG action or very soft PG-13 movies. After the Hard PG-13 Batman Returns, Batman Forever and its follow-up Batman & Robin as well as Steel were soft PG-13 movies that were only really PG-13 due to violence. Then you also had PG action with the three Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies an the two Power Rangers movies. These movies were nowhere as near as fleshed out as the comic book movies you see today which all have been PG-13 besides horror comics like say Spawn and Blade. As much as I don't like Man of Steel and somewhat like Green Lantern, I'll take them over most of the 1990's comic book movies.

The PG comedies of the 1990's were actually fun to watch. Not many PG films besides animation are as fun to watch as say Home Alone, Three Ninjas, The Mighty Ducks and Good Burger. Most come off as made for TV movies that were somehow released theatrically. These movies while campy, actually were entertaining to adults and children. I defy you to find one today that can do that in the PG rating.

The PG-13 rating is no longer what it was when you had the 1980's and 1990's movies coming out. Most PG-13 comedies are barely over PG levels and only have retaliative levels of cursing and the violence is comedic. We don't see movies like the Vacation series done and instead we either get family comedies or Ted/Hangover movies like the new Vacation is. I do think one problem with the PG-13 comedies is you don't see the replacements to Farley, Sandler and Carrey and instead see Sandler do mostly the same roles just older. I like Sandler but he is getting very repetitive with his co-stars whether it is Drew Barrymore, Kevin James or Nick Swordson.

I do wish we would see more original movies. There's only so many times you can turn a book series into a movie let alone a series. Twilight and Hunger Games have worked but Divergent didn't, even though the trailer looked amazing. There's also only so many re-boots and sequels one can do. I don't mind if it is fairly similar plots to existing movies, just do something mostly original because all stories are derivatives of at least one other.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:21 PM

1,405 posts, read 730,884 times
The first difference that comes to mind is the photography, lighting and color palette. Most 90s movies had a bright, pastel or saturated (optimistic) look to them. Too many movies today look de-saturated, or use an analogous palette (really depressing to watch).

Old 08-02-2015, 08:54 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,508,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer
I've noticed three kind of movies that were popular during the '90s but no longer seem to be:
Ya movies in the 90s started to go downhill,etc..... I dont like many 90s movies but there are a few I have I like

1) Eraser - 1996
2) Conspiracry Theory - 1997
3) Fair Game - 1995
4) The Net - 1995
5) Hard to Kill - 1990
6) Quick Change - 1990
7) Toy Soldiers - 1991
8) Emeny of the state - 1998
9) Marked Man - 1996 (Poor Roddy)
10) Breakdown - 1997
11) Killing Streets - 1991
12) The fugitive - 1994
13) Monkey Trouble - 1994
14) What about bob - 1991

There is 14 and there isnt much more.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies