U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 07:31 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,751,095 times

Advertisements

What differences do you see between movies made in the '90s and movies made in recent years? Do you agree with my observations?

I've noticed three kind of movies that were popular during the '90s but no longer seem to be:

1) Live action "kid" movies. There were a seemingly infinite number of these that came out from around 1992 to 1998. They usually centered around (sometimes ridiculous) stories of pre-adolescents or early adolescents (children aged 10 through 14), had somewhat improbable plot-lines, and were generally rated PG for the occasional sexual reference or mild curse word. They were invariably rated a star or half a star by high-minded critics but appreciated by the masses of kids, and even their parents.

Some specific movies under this heading include: Heavyweights, Good Burger, North, First Kid, Richie Rich, Blank Check, Sandlot, Jungle 2 Jungle, Kazaam!, Jumanji, Man of the House, the Karate Kid series, Camp Nowhere, Carpool, the Mighty Ducks and 3 Ninjas series, etc. An extensive listing can be found here: }} ) Grit's Guide to Bad Cheesy PG Family Movies ( {{

Although I am totally outside of the current movie scene, it seems like the studios responsible for these movies stopped popping them out around 1998. It also seems as though movies for kids since then have been animated and generally more infantile.

2) Ghetto movies. These focused around the lives of young, lower or working-class blacks. They were almost always set in a marginal neighborhood ("the hood" or "ghetto") and usually emphasized the comedic over the serious or dramatic. The graphic language alone generally earned them an "R" rating. The serious-minded Boyz N Tha Hood seemed to start the fad, which was followed up by a parody, the famous Friday movies, and a bunch of lesser-known films. Rappers cast as stars or making cameo appearances was common.

They seem to be no longer produced, and relegated to the cheap DVD section of pawn shops.

3) PG-13 Comedies. These usually starred leading comedians of the day (Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey), each of whom starred in multiple films of the sub-genre. Movies of this category usually had a cheesy romantic ending and some bawdy jokes or implied sexual relationships, but no explicit nudity, etc., which made them acceptable for pre-teens in the minds of many parents. Examples include The Cable Guy, Dumb and Dumber, Happy Gilmore, Waterboy, and Wedding Singer.

This is the category that I have the most doubts about, but the comedy genre in general seems to have focused on making bawdier, more explicit, and more realistic "R" comedies such as the American Pie series or Wedding Crashers. However, this could just be my perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:06 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,147,354 times
That is weird how those genres mostly disappeared. Also, there are very few disaster movies anymore. Like the 90s had Armageddon, Deep Impact, Twister, Dante's Peak and those would be the studio's biggest releases of the year, now most of the blockbusters are superhero and sci fi-ish movies.

The non super power action hero movie disappeared almost completely although that was already in decline when Arnold and Stallone were aging in the 90s.

Teen comedy is gone too, most of the comedies are garbage with Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd, Vince Vaughn and Jason Segel acting like idiot frat boys in a Judd Apatow-like production.

The live action kids movies disappeared because most of them air on TV as special events to get ratings on cable channels like Nick, the "Fred" movies are a good example of that. The only live action kids movies that do well are the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 AM

9,972 posts, read 14,017,847 times
As far as kid's movies goes, it seems that animation(specifically Pixar) has really taken over that market. Everything for kids is lovable computer animated animals who can either surf or perform Kung Fu or something along those lines. I can't imagine children's movies with live animals being hits these days unlike when I was a little kid in the 1980s when you had a run of films like the Benji series or the Black Stallion or whatever(not that those movies were really that great). And I'm not sure what movies come out with live action young adult casts that are big hits these days, although they seemed to release a lot more of those until recently.

Another thing that seems to have are big budget action films based on original screenplay. These days every thing is based on either old TV/Cartoon shows or comic books or even based on cartoons based on 80s toys like GI Joe or Transformers. You have the franchises based on hit book series like Twilight or Harry Potter, but even those are outnumbered by film series based on comic book heroes or cartoons like the Smurfs or Alvin and the Chipmunks.

In fact as far as live action adventure/sci-fi/action films based on original concepts released last year--you have to go down to the 21st and 30th highest grossing films in 2011--Super 8 and Cowboys and Aliens to find anything in those genres that wasn't a sequel or based on a comic book or TV show. Which in a way has been true for a while--but if you look at what's been released over the years it's slowly diminished from the 80s, when you had guys like Spielberg putting out films like Raiders of the Lost Ark or ET. These days big budget pictures don't get green lit unless they're already a franchise or a reboot--except for Avatar.

The top grossing films these days seem to be divided between 3D comic book films, CGI animated kids flicks, and then the occasional raunchy adult comedy or romantic comedy. Serious films don't seem make much of a dent at the box office these days--compared to the 90s when you had films like Pulp Fiction that were among the top grossing films. Even more human centered comedies or dramas are either sleeper hits or ignored for the most part, unless they're Oscar bait...

Old 05-29-2012, 07:38 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,446,350 times
Today's movies rely too much on flashy special effects.

It's still more impressive to me to see "real" stuff in movies like "Waterworld"... to think they actually built all that crap and towed out into the ocean from Hawaii... or even the almost full-size replica of the Titanic for Leo and Kate to be annoying in!

"Stargate" was a favorite of mine too... come to think of it, maybe it's just nostalgia for when I was a teen.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,038,465 times
I bet demographics is one of the culprits.

-In the 90's, it seems like you had more adult focused comedies, romantic comedies....i.e. you've got mail (which I still think is a fun movie). Or a julia roberts movie.

It seems like Scarlett Johansson took away some of that crowd. Or they went into female action movies...like with angelina jolie. Its harder for older females to get roles....so the meg ryan movie from 10 years ago, that audience has gone youger, or more action.

-The kids movies...mighty ducks, rookie of the year...I think those came from a strong saturday morning lineup (the kids who watched saved by the bell would want to see a big movie).

Plus, wasn't the whole idea of "synergy" starting then? Disney owned the Anaheim Ducks for awhile. Thus you get a little synergistic kick making a movie of the same name. Now companies are way beyond that....they seem to be more interested in technology, CGI, effects, etc. And Dreamworks really changed the kids/animation market, and they weren't around in the early 90's.

Different studios made those kids movies in the early 90's. Who made Free Willy? Remember that. I think some of them tried to compete with regular adult dramas, and spice it up with a kid.

I think the budgets were lower, expectations were lower. Would a movie like My Girl be made now? I think studios are more interested in franchises and tie ins now.

-Ghetto movies...Boyz in the hood. Colors? Didn't that start a few riots in the theater when it came out?

I think those came about from the rap emergence in the 80's, + growing influence of black filmmakers (spike lee), + there were just stories to be told.

I joke with my family, the best movies were made 15 years ago. Air Force One? The Fugitive? Breakdown, etc. You don't see movies like that anymore.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:13 PM

8,541 posts, read 11,872,774 times
Interesting observations. I like to think about the differences in movies also. But I go farther back than the 90's.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:26 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,773,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Interesting observations. I like to think about the differences in movies also. But I go farther back than the 90's.
I agree. How about better acting and less graphics (special effects) for todays
movies ??

Old 06-01-2012, 04:13 AM

2,163 posts, read 2,139,722 times
I definitely think movies in the 80's and 90'd are better than todays. Im not saying there arent any good movies being made now, but to me, not as entertaining. As everyone else has stated too many special effects. I can watch 80's and 90's movies over and over, if I watch a new release now its probably a one time shot. There are exceptions of course. Miss the 90's

Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 AM

8,541 posts, read 11,872,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
I agree. How about better acting and less graphics (special effects) for todays
movies ??
Not only that. I don't think much of today's world of filmmakers. The beliefs and attitudes of actors and directors just seems to be in decline. It's like good is bad and bad is good. There is very little substance, or even any interesting ideas. So much of today's movies just don't make sense, and I rarely watch new movies because none of them interest me. It seems like ideas that used to be extreme or "fringe" are now the norm. I've only seen one computer-animated movie and I didn't enjoy that very much either.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:51 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I definitely think movies in the 80's and 90'd are better than todays. Im not saying there arent any good movies being made now, but to me, not as entertaining. As everyone else has stated too many special effects. I can watch 80's and 90's movies over and over, if I watch a new release now its probably a one time shot. There are exceptions of course. Miss the 90's
I agree. Most of what is on nowadays is so bad that anything half-way decent gets RAVE reviews.

And very few movies are really timeless. They are like throwaway movies or something. No one is going to watch these 10 or 20 years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies