U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 03:33 PM

8,514 posts, read 11,228,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Kingdom of Heaven

Every christian was evil while the other side were pure and saintly lol.
And any other film that distorts history so that its PC or has an agenda.
I don't know that they made me "angry" per se, but both Kingdom of Heaven and Gladiator (both Ridley Scott movies) were historic garbage. Gladiator has about as much to do with history had Scott made a film wherein George Washington defeated the British with a squadron of F-16s.

The Matrix made me angry because I wasted almost 3 hours of my life on that overhyped piece of garbage.

Godfather 3 is anger inducing for the sheer tragedy of it. How could the same people who made 1 & 2 (some of the best American films ever made) makes such a horrible movie as 3? Godfather 3 is the epitome of the cinematic train wreck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 04:28 PM

1,156 posts, read 856,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
There are lots of well done and not so well done movies that have such a good "message" that we can overlook sub-par acting or dialogue, or issues with the storyline. I think we've had lots of threads on these feel-good movies.

But what about movies that have pi$$ed you off, with a central message, underlying message, or a theme you completely disagree with? Can that turn you off to an otherwise well-made movie with otherwise good actors?
My answer to your question--The Help. And the Association of Black Women Historians basically summed up my objections to the movie before I watched and got pist off.

Open Statement - The Help

For that matter, most movies of an historical nature/plot draw my ire. Nonfiction monographs (that is books) do a much better job of depicting any historical era. In my opinion, Hollywood should leave history alone.

As for others who posted here, I agree Knocked Up and The House of Sand and Fog were both disappointments, not to mention Juno--that movie sucked and Ellen Paige is totally obnoxious.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:34 PM

8,940 posts, read 7,299,329 times
Off the top of my head I can't think of any. But like Trimac mentioned, I usually don't like movies where the good guy/bad guy is so cut and dry. I like to see the good guy have real moments of weakness or doubt, and I want the "villain" to have reasons for his/her actions that I can sympathize with some, even if I think it's wrong. That doesn't mean I'll automatically dismiss any movie that doesn't have characters with some depth like that, but more often than not I won't like those movies as much. I guess it's just too hard for me to relate to a character who's 100% good or 100% evil, not to mention it's simply unrealistic.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:24 PM

706 posts, read 653,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Oh, just thought of another one that's a favorite among people of my generation: Say Anything...

If I could have met the character, I would say, "you're lucky this girl ever went out with you in the first place! How dare you try to get in her way of pursuing her dreams with this pretigious fellowship in England? And the pen wasn't just a stupid pen, you dolt. This is a girl who has been socially isolated all her life and she chose (for reasons that are beyond me) to "let you in." That pen was the symbol of that. That was huge step for her. Now move on with life and find some direction, and don't mess up her life."
I totally was thinking the opposite (and I'm an ambitious woman myself, so if the movie had been written a little differently, I might have agreed with you). The way the girl was written, I had no sympathy for her, and didn't feel like she had any redeeming qualities other than the fact that she was smart and hardworking. She didn't seem like a nice person, so I couldn't understand why HE was interested in HER (except that she was pretty).

Old 06-24-2012, 07:55 PM

6,798 posts, read 8,859,323 times
Wow, that's interesting about The Help. I was kind of feeling bad for not having read it or watched the movie yet. Now I see I don't need to waste my time.

So right about Pretty Woman! I always wondered what "Pretty Woman II" would be like. No matter how much Richard Gere is infatuated wth her, that will inevitably wear off and he'll realize "Wow, I married a w h ore. She's a nice wh or e, and of course a pretty wh o re, but she was a w h o re. What on earth was I thinking?"

How does marrying a hooker EVER work out well? I kind of don't think you get past that. And any time you have a fight or argument, he can always pull out that trump card: "Okay fine, I didn't take out the garbage, but weren't you a whor e?????"

I think when I saw the movie when I was younger, I clapped for Julia Roberts when her character showed-up those snooty saleswomen on Rodeo Drive. Yes it was wrong for them to be so mean and look down on her, but then again, she was a hooker. Now in my older wiser years, I kind of think, she needed to be looked down on. I wouldn't want hookers in my place of business either.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 PM

6,798 posts, read 8,859,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
I totally was thinking the opposite (and I'm an ambitious woman myself, so if the movie had been written a little differently, I might have agreed with you). The way the girl was written, I had no sympathy for her, and didn't feel like she had any redeeming qualities other than the fact that she was smart and hardworking. She didn't seem like a nice person, so I couldn't understand why HE was interested in HER (except that she was pretty).
You are right. She had zero personality. But I guess I think I identified with her, so I projected more good qualities onto her. I'm not a beauty, but I was a "brain" and socially awkward, so I think I forgave her a little. I think he liked her because she was A.) Pretty, and B.) seen as untouchable/unattainable.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM

457 posts, read 426,864 times
All of the Tyler Perry movies have the same theme.

Woman is down trodden by a man, enters depression, meets a new man, life changes.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,915,813 times
Die Welle (The Wave). Most people I know loved it. I thought it was demagogic and it missed the point halfway through.

I wasn't expecting a pamphlet, how nave of me...

Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 PM

4,214 posts, read 5,384,397 times
Just recently watched a movie called Contraband with Mark Walhberg. Walhberg , a former smuggler, goes to Central America to smuggle counterfeit money into the U.S. to help his brother, but ends up smuggling drugs instead. A lot of people get killed in this picture by Walhberg's character, including Panamanian police officers who are just doing their job. Walhberg, at the end of the movie, decides to go back in the smuggling business and the movie makes out like this is such a cool thing.
I hate when thieves are made out to be good guys and don't get punished for it, but get rewarded at the end like in this movie. In old movies, the thief always got punished in the end.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 AM

2,985 posts, read 2,397,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This may be weird, but with a couple of exceptions, I really cannot stand movies about being a rebel (example: Ferris Beuller) or movies about the underdog (usually stupidly far-fetched and discounts things like preparation and mastery and hard work - because, you know, all you REALLY need is heart!)...I find movies where rich automatically means bad and poor and scrappy means you are the one with morals...how dumb does Hollywood think we are.

Sorry for typos...sitting in dark on phone while son naps.

Tried to rep you, but had to spread the love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies