U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 AM

633 posts, read 571,496 times

Advertisements

^ Well I was not around back then, but I guess it suited the social norms/atmosphere of that time? Not trying to defend the movie as I have not seen and don't really care for it, just wanted to add some context that is all !! I mean interracial dating was taboo back then if I am not mistaken so it would make sense (at that time) that it would only be "socially acceptable" in situations where the individual in question was highly/exceptionally qualifiied, no ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 PM

6,630 posts, read 10,293,258 times
I was offended by 7 Pounds because the "secret" of the movie was totally obvious to me from the opening credits.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:02 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,312,833 times
Crash - Way too preachy and corny.
The Blind Side - Positive PR for White Southerners?
A Day without a Mexican - It is all in the title. I am surprised they never made the sequels "A Day without Blacks/Asians".

Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 24,134,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
A Day without a Mexican - It is all in the title. I am surprised they never made the sequels "A Day without Blacks/Asians".
Agree about Crash.
Why do white southerners need positive PR?
Only ignorant people negatively stereotype them.
A Day WO a Mexican...HA! I'd like to see the movie A Day WO an Interventional Cardiologist.
See how many people enjoy that day.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 PM

10,109 posts, read 5,588,022 times
The Piano (Holly Hunter)---WTH??? It was a waste of good money and time.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:30 PM

633 posts, read 571,496 times
I happen to like Crash but I will admit it gets too preachy and corny at points which can be a bit irritating. Also it blows the stereotypes out of proportion but I guess that was essential for the message/preachiness of the movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

Last edited by ronyusa; 06-29-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 03:47 PM

618 posts, read 475,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
  • Paying your bills is not your responsibility
  • You should not have to face consequences for ignoring your responsibilities
  • Having depression is an excuse to get out of life's responsibilities
  • If you do face natural consequences for not paying your bills, someone else must be at fault and punished
  • Middle eastern people must be bad people
  • A guy who worked his behind off to get his family out of a country in turmoil, and who then has to work menial jobs to save up money for a house is not deserving when he finds a good deal on a house
  • The more and more you act unstable, the more likely you are to get what you want
  • The more and more you act unstable, the better you'll be able to manipulate otherwise decent people to want to help you
  • A good piece of tail will turn a good cop bad overnight
  • you can be responsible for the deaths of an entire family, but you're excused because you've had some tough things happen to you
With the exception of the "Middle Eastern people" item, everything listed above seems like the basis for the "Occupy ___" movement.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:50 PM

6,787 posts, read 8,817,552 times
Wow, I guess the movie was about 10 years ahead of its time!

Old 06-29-2012, 03:54 PM

5,517 posts, read 5,604,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
I'm probably the only one in the world who didn't like the Notebook. I know the overall message was about love, but I hate how Hollywood (and our society these days) makes doing hurtful things (like cheating on your fiance) ok just because you're "in love".

Not sure it ever made a judgement about whether it was "ok" or not.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:12 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,419,200 times
That movie with Hugh Grant "Love Actually" really really offended me in it's portrayal of the overweight homely girl not ever possibly being good enough for someone as fabulous as Mr. Hugh. It was so blatant, and of course we all know it is true, but jeez did they have to be so obvious about it as if it were OK???

I am NO prude by any stretch of the imagination but "American Pie" offended me left and right, with it's overt and pretty disgusting sexual scenes. And the beer scene...UGH, really? Someone thought that was OK to put into a movie?? I remember thinking 'thank GOD I don't have teenagers in this day and age.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies