Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:21 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
I'm probably the only one in the world who didn't like the Notebook. I know the overall message was about love, but I hate how Hollywood (and our society these days) makes doing hurtful things (like cheating on your fiance) ok just because you're "in love".
I hated that movie. I thought it was manipulative tripe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,148,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Go point about Knocked Up. Talking of glorifying slackers reminds me of another movie that people loved that pissed me off: Reality Bites.

It was about recent college graduates, and it came out when I was at just that point in life. People seemed to love the movie, but to me, it just painted my generation (Gen X) as a bunch of slackers with no goals in life. Ethan Hawke's character, the pompous, intellectual pot head who would not hold a job was supposed to be the ideal love interest. Winona Ryder was the valedictorian of her college class, and she didn't even know what "irony" meant. You'd think she may have come across the word at some point in high school or college. She was also a slacker, sponging off her Dad's credit card. Ugh.

I left the theatre watching Knocked up. It was so over the top rediculous that I was just appalled. Very good looking, successful women goes above and beyond for a fat, curly headed dork who smokes pot all day. Yeah, sure, that works in real life..Was so irritated by that dumb movie, that I had to walk out on it.

However, I liked Reality bites. I think you might have took it too seriously. It was basically a movie depicting generation x, y whatever..I really can't remember. I thought it struck on a few chords. It was the height of the "grunge movement" and it dealt with a lot of issues. It's not that they were all slackers/ losers it showed how young adults are trying to find their way in life. I thought it depicted the era well and at least Winona was attracted to someone who is just as attractive. Unlike the movie Knocked up. Ethan just fought the establishment. Didn't want to work in a factory his whole life, to be given black lung and a watch after twenty years. He wanted to find or do something more, but (like many people that age) just didn't know how to go about getting it/doing it. I give Reality bites a thumbs up for accurate themes as well as depictions of the first few years after highschool or college. Knocked up on the other hand should never be shown again..Just too unrealistic. And they were already in their late twenties/ thirties so they should have already had their shi t together.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 06-28-2012 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 01:15 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times
I guess you and I were different in our first few years after college. I was working my butt off-- got a job in my field (psychology) that didn't pay well, so at the same time, worked part time at night in retail, while sending out grad school applications. I knew the meaning of the word "irony" and lots of other words, and I didn't want to loaf and live off my parents. Sure I liked some of the grunge music, sure I identified with the living-with-roommates and not quite like a grown-up thing, sure I was also dealing with "can a guy-friend become a boy-friend?"

But I resented how the movie portrayed my generation as a bunch of clueless slackers. Ethan Hawke's character was so annoyingly "superior" but he was such a loser in my opinion. Even when I was young and stilll thought "fighting the establishment" was cool, he annoyed me. Now when I see the movie, I actually get disgusted at his character.

Watch it again, really. If you are over 35, you'll see what I mean if you watch it through adult eyes.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I guess you and I were different in our first few years after college. I was working my butt off-- got a job in my field (psychology) that didn't pay well, so at the same time, worked part time at night in retail, while sending out grad school applications. I knew the meaning of the word "irony" and lots of other words, and I didn't want to loaf and live off my parents. Sure I liked some of the grunge music, sure I identified with the living-with-roommates and not quite like a grown-up thing, sure I was also dealing with "can a guy-friend become a boy-friend?"

But I resented how the movie portrayed my generation as a bunch of clueless slackers. Ethan Hawke's character was so annoyingly "superior" but he was such a loser in my opinion. Even when I was young and stilll thought "fighting the establishment" was cool, he annoyed me. Now when I see the movie, I actually get disgusted at his character.

Watch it again, really. If you are over 35, you'll see what I mean if you watch it through adult eyes.

I am over 35 and I am almost 38. You're right about one thing. You and I see things differently. I thought that movie represented that time period pretty well. I didn't resent the "slacker" side like you, because most kids right out of highschool or college are lost. I saw it more as young adults trying to find their way. That's what I liked about it the most. The days before the computer/ cell phones/ blackberries, etc. For me, the good days. And I don't even smoke anymore, but the days you could go to a Denny's and get a coffee for ninety cents and sit and smoke/drink coffee all night.

You and I did have different paths after highschool. There's no doubting that one. I wanted out of NY state and I didn't hesitate. And just so you know, I worked while in highschool and played sports. My first year out of highschool I took off for California and didn't look back for many years. So the movie doesn't accurately portray "my life", but I think it did a good job portraying different people's lives in that particular era. I could relate because when I moved to Cali I had to live with five people my first year and I know what struggling is like.

Winona's character was highly driven and what one would call a "go getter". I thought the part where she didn't know what the word "irony" meant was kind of cute. I didn't think too much of it. Ethan or Troy was very intelligent and was just where alot of 19 to early twenty somethings are/were- Lost. They don't know what they want yet, also very bright and all the while fighting the establishment. Then you had the guy battling being gay as well as a girl who is stuck in the past. I thought it was a good movie. I didn't hate Troy for being a slacker (didn't look up to him either), I just accepted the fact that he was typical of the youth at that time especially in regards to being lost/trying to find their way. Nothing more nothing less. Most people at that age don't really know what they want yet. One reason I always thought guidance counselors were useless. Although, I knew what I wanted, I had many friends who wandered for years trying to figure it all out. I didn't end up doing college til late in my twenties. Not everyone knows what they want and shoot for the stars (sort of speak) right after high school or college. It's a process for some. Some right away get a job and stay for years. Some go into the service (many of my friends did), but many don't have a clue of what they want to do or what they can do. I thought the movie depicted the struggles of youth pretty good. Only now job opportunities are much harder than they were back in the nineties. I could get three jobs in one day in the early nineties anywhere in California and have the night to decide what job I wanted. Things were different then. There wasn't an immediacy as we have/feel today. Today if someone wouldn't take a good job, for little or no real reason then I would call them crazy, lazy or a slacker. Back then, you could decline something good and something else good would come along. I had more employment opportunities in the nineties than I ever did these last ten to fifteen years. Put it this way, I could get jobs easier before I had a degree than I could after it.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 06-28-2012 at 02:02 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 02:20 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Ha.

I'm 36, and I hate movies like that, too...

The only people I knew who were 'lost' were the ones with no goals or gumption to begin with.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I am over 35 and I am almost 38. You're right about one thing. You and I see things differently. I thought that movie represented that time period pretty well. I didn't resent the "slacker" side like you, because most kids right out of highschool or college are lost. I saw it more as young adults trying to find their way. That's what I liked about it the most. The days before the computer/ cell phones/ blackberries, etc. For me, the good days. And I don't even smoke anymore, but the days you could go to a Denny's and get a coffee for ninety cents and sit and smoke/drink coffee all night.

You and I did have different paths after highschool. There's no doubting that one. I wanted out of NY state and I didn't hesitate. And just so you know, I worked while in highschool and played sports. My first year out of highschool I took off for California and didn't look back for many years. So the movie doesn't accurately portray "my life", but I think it did a good job portraying different people's lives in that particular era. I could relate because when I moved to Cali I had to live with five people my first year and I know what struggling is like.

Winona's character was highly driven and what one would call a "go getter". I thought the part where she didn't know what the word "irony" meant was kind of cute. I didn't think too much of it. Ethan or Troy was very intelligent and was just where alot of 19 to early twenty somethings are/were- Lost. They don't know what they want yet, also very bright and all the while fighting the establishment. Then you had the guy battling being gay as well as a girl who is stuck in the past. I thought it was a good movie. I didn't hate Troy for being a slacker (didn't look up to him either), I just accepted the fact that he was typical of the youth at that time especially in regards to being lost/trying to find their way. Nothing more nothing less. Most people at that age don't really know what they want yet. One reason I always thought guidance counselors were useless. Although, I knew what I wanted, I had many friends who wandered for years trying to figure it all out. I didn't end up doing college til late in my twenties. Not everyone knows what they want and shoot for the stars (sort of speak) right after high school or college. It's a process for some. Some right away get a job and stay for years. Some go into the service (many of my friends did), but many don't have a clue of what they want to do or what they can do. I thought the movie depicted the struggles of youth pretty good. Only now job opportunities are much harder than they were back in the nineties. I could get three jobs in one day in the early nineties anywhere in California and have the night to decide what job I wanted. Things were different then. There wasn't an immediacy as we have/feel today. Today if someone wouldn't take a good job, for little or no real reason then I would call them crazy, lazy or a slacker. Back then, you could decline something good and something else good would come along. I had more employment opportunities in the nineties than I ever did these last ten to fifteen years. Put it this way, I could get jobs easier before I had a degree than I could after it.
Actually. Part of this is not true. I went to college right out of highshcool, but didn't complete it then. I should have said I didn't end up finishing college until my late twenties. But actually I think I was in my early thirties. At twenty I moved to California. Just wanted to get the facts straight. I went to college right away on a partial scholorship, but wasn't ready yet/ or didn't know what I wanted to do yet. So I left then came back after my move out west, which was many years later. God I must be going senile, when I can't even remember certain things anymore. I walked away from college twice. Not quite walked away, but took time off. But I always seemed to forget that first two years. I remember more the last four. Don't know why. It seems like my memory always has me going from highschool to out west. When I think about it, I forgot about the two years I spent in college first. Not that any of that really matters. Just clarifying some mistakes from my awful memory.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 06-28-2012 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Perceptions of movies definitely change with age.

When I was in junior high and high school, everyone loved Fast Times At Ridgemont High, and everyone's favorite character (me included) was Spiccoli.

I saw it again several months ago, and my favorite character was Mr. Hand. He had my complete sympathy in every scene. "Are you all on dope?"

So I guess I'm officially old now.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 PM

23,586 posts, read 70,350,712 times
"I saw it again several months ago, and my favorite character was Mr. Hand. He had my complete sympathy in every scene. "Are you all on dope?"

So I guess I'm officially old now."

Sh.., I've been old for a while. Drugs are bad... m'okay??

Old 06-29-2012, 03:13 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,260,808 times
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

the message: if you're a black man, you had better be a doctor or something to be deemed worthy enough to date or marry a white girl, even if said white girl is of no particular use whatsoever.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times
Totally right! God forbid if Sidney Poitier had been an Accounting major with an entry level accounting clerk job, or an Art major with a freelance job.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies