U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:24 AM

374 posts, read 177,259 times
Happiness

Twisted, dark, depressing and soul crushing.

NSFL - very disturbing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:02 AM

8,153 posts, read 10,580,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I was just thinking about this recently. There are some movies that take place in settings (time, place, and circumstances) that are so depressing that it can actually affect my mood and how I'm feeling that day. Sometimes the movie has some uplifting ending, where someone overcomes that horrible setting, but often that doesn't even take away from the emotional effect I feel. Anyone else have examples of this?
Trainspotting. So horrible I couldn't even finish the movie. I would rather watch an all day Barney marathon than sit through another 10 minutes of this movie.

Beaches. Navel-gazing, morose schmaltzy blech that wallows its own schmaltzy moroseness for what seemed like 5 hours. It wouldn't surprise me if this was a favorite at Guantanamo.

Kevin Smith movies. I'm not sure what it is about Kevin Smith movies, because parts of them are genuinely funny. But after I've finished watching one, I feel like I need to take a long shower and eat nothing but vitamins and mineral water for a week to cleanse my system. There's just something about them that makes me feel icky afterward.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 AM

623 posts, read 520,513 times
Salaam Bombay.

Have a sturdy rope or razor blades handy !!

Great movie though, a masterpiece. Worth checking out if you enjoy quality movies. But it is also very depressing, that is all, especially because it is based on everyday, real-life events!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 AM

578 posts, read 338,372 times
Any movie that takes place in a UK (especially Glasgow) housing estate strikes me as inherently depressing (like Red Road or Fish Tank or Harry Brown).

Plus anywhere in meth-ravaged Appalachia or the Ozarks, a la Winter's Bone.

Also, off-topic to the OP, you're missing out on South Africa. Cape Town is one the most naturally beautiful cities I've ever visited.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 PM

258 posts, read 272,928 times
Pink Floyd The Wall should also rank high on the list. The main character (Pink Floyd) played by Bob Geldolf succumbs to the pressures of a rock star heavily influenced by drugs and alcohol. He stays isolated in a LA hotel room throughout the movie and often hallucinates along with memories of real life events. Most of the movie had strong, graphic images, that appeared to make the viewer feel down. Have to say though, it was awesome hearing the music from the album blasting in a theater!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:51 PM

1,817 posts, read 984,296 times
If you are looking for hardcore depression, try these:

Requiem for a Dream
Idi i Smotri (Come and See)
In a Glass Cage

And in the event you are feeling particularly loathesome:

Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom
August Underground's Penance
Martyrs

Old 07-04-2012, 03:47 AM

13,039 posts, read 14,656,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
But Clockwork Orange is in a dystopian future. Totally agree on Trainspotting.
Dystopian yes but it is simply about societal disintegration and to me it was far more prescient than a futuristic setting. The future used as a setting rather than the plot which was firmly grounded in a perception of the present IMO.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:49 AM

27,823 posts, read 22,370,636 times
Those movies where everything is always gray or it's always night...those make me NUTS... I can't stand to watch them!!!!!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 AM

13,039 posts, read 14,656,385 times
I would agree with "Lilja 4 ever" which was a superbly acted film but so , so bleak. "When the Wind Blows" ( heartbreaking) ,"Angela's Ashes","The Killing Fields", "Au Revoir les Enfants", "The Heartbeat Detector", "Gallipoli", "La Haine", "The Prophet", "Vera Drake","The Magdelene Sisters", "The Pope's Toilet" , "The Wave" would have to also be on my list....

Old 07-04-2012, 04:26 AM

22,077 posts, read 16,904,651 times
California police dramas. I don't like them on TV or in the movies. There's something about all of that stinkin' sunshine, the beaches, tanned cops and palm trees that says "Don't take me seriously." I will definitely change the channel if I'm watching a California police drama/movie on TV and there is a beach volleyball or skateboarding scene.

California police comedies are okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies