U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:50 AM

8,406 posts, read 11,017,570 times

Advertisements

Yeah, WOLVERINE was pretty awful. I know they're working on another one. I'm hopeful, but not too optimistic.

Since Marvel seems to be in a reboot mood, I'd love to see X-Men rebooted, although I doubt that'll happen any time soon with a First Class sequel in the works.

Daredevil has the potential to be a great TV series, since the nature of the best DD stories wouldn't require a huge special effects budget. He's one of the darker characters, and with TV like Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, and Justified being such big hits, if I were Marvel, I'd push this as TV series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 12:29 PM

1,068 posts, read 918,474 times
I always thought the Superman films with Christopher Reeve were okay but only Superman II really convinced me as a storyline. That guff about nuclear man and Superman as the beacon of salvation and peace was so nauseating it had me reaching for the nearest bucket. It made Rambo's "Don't worry, I'm American" line in Rambo III set in Afghanistan almost salient in bogus solidarity by comparison.

I've always preferred the Spiderman films and the latest Spiderman interpretation has surpassed the last franchise in all expectation. There is something of the underdog about Spiderman and Daredevil that endears his character to the audience whereas Superman is well.....Superman and the only way to defeat him is to cruelly undermine him in a dastardly and underhand way by lacing his senses with Kryptonite and 'unfairly' taking away the unfair advantage he has on everyone else (i.e. superhuman strentgth, x-ray vision, flight, superspeed and son on and so forth...).

In the Superman movies Lex Luther was played as a slick and slimy oilgarch rather than the relectantly but grudgingly respected foe he was in the comic books and this made the movies alot poorer as a consequence. In the comic books (the ones I read growing up I'm 35 now) Lex Luther was Superman's equal when he wore his suit and the battles between them were more intense and dramatic as a result of this intense feud. It was convincing because instead of the yawnfest of either Superman being too weak against a 'cowardly' villain who undermined him you felt he actually had to earn your respect in the comic books for defeating a foe as fearsome and well equipped as Lex Luther.

And one thing I can never understand is why on Earth there has NEVER been a Superman film with Braniac. Braniac is a foe who actually makes Superman the UNDERDOG and if a good screenwriter was given artistic license with a mega-blockbuster budget surely this would be the greatest super-hero flick of all time.

As it is I thought X-Men First Class was the last good superhero film I've seen. Watchmen probably the best. And Batman as a chracter probably the hardest to get wrong. The Joker, The Penguin, The Riddler you name it Batman has the best villains and the most gritty and authentic backdrop to a comic book tale in a corrupt ridden Gotham City that to me anyway has always closely resembled Chicago though I'm sure there will be more informed comic book fans who will correct me on this fact.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:36 PM

1,068 posts, read 918,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yeah, WOLVERINE was pretty awful. I know they're working on another one. I'm hopeful, but not too optimistic.

Since Marvel seems to be in a reboot mood, I'd love to see X-Men rebooted, although I doubt that'll happen any time soon with a First Class sequel in the works.

Daredevil has the potential to be a great TV series, since the nature of the best DD stories wouldn't require a huge special effects budget. He's one of the darker characters, and with TV like Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, and Justified being such big hits, if I were Marvel, I'd push this as TV series.
I agree but do you think Daredevil would have to be relocated? Hell's Kitchen has gentrified alot over recent decades and would it still provide a convincing enough backdrop to a modern version?

I would like to think so. All cities evolve I suppose but surely they would have to reflect the changes in demographic in the neighbourhood too to make Daredevil a compelling television series.

I loved the setting, I love the Kingpin and I think that Daredevil would be the best superhero to translate into a television series.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:36 PM

3,875 posts, read 2,441,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

I'm not hopeful OR optimstic about the second one. I can't believe Marvel did such a bad job with one of thier most intresting heros. I was embrassed I was hoping that they would to the story from the book. Origin. Guess that was too much to ask for though. Everyone was more intrested in his claws.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:50 PM

3,383 posts, read 2,655,498 times
Good:
The Punisher
Batmans(Bale)
Kick-Ass
Thor
Iron Man(Both)
Spiderman(1&2)

Bad:
Scott Pilgrim
Aeon Flux
XMen Origins
Catwoman
Fantastic Four
Daredevil

Old 07-21-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
IGotham City that to me anyway has always closely resembled Chicago though I'm sure there will be more informed comic book fans who will correct me on this fact.
I don't remember who it was, but some famous comic book writer said that Metropolis is New York in the daytime and Gotham is New York at night, with bits of Boston thrown in.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
I agree but do you think Daredevil would have to be relocated? Hell's Kitchen has gentrified alot over recent decades and would it still provide a convincing enough backdrop to a modern version?

I would like to think so. All cities evolve I suppose but surely they would have to reflect the changes in demographic in the neighbourhood too to make Daredevil a compelling television series.

I loved the setting, I love the Kingpin and I think that Daredevil would be the best superhero to translate into a television series.
May be. But it's fiction after all, so that certainly wouldn't destroy my suspension of disbelief. Besides, the great thing about Kingpin is that he is a merciless organized crime boss in reality, but his public image is the complete opposite. To the public, he's one of New York's best citizens.

The great thing about DD is that it combines so many great genres. Matt is lawyer, so there you've got the courtroom drama of tons of TV shows. He's fighting organized crime, so there you've got the gritty crime drama. Robbie Robertson brings in the investigative journalist. Matt's girlfriend is an assassin. And DD being the super hero, you've got the action/adventure hour. In the hands of a good showrunner, it could easily be one of the best shows on TV.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:57 PM

5,872 posts, read 3,976,537 times
Loved - Spidey 2 with Doc Oct

Hated - Hulk by Ang Lee (didn't think much of Hulk reboot either, maybe it's not a character that translate well to the screen)

Old 07-22-2012, 12:06 AM

3,875 posts, read 2,441,646 times
I'm not sure how DD would translate into a Tv show. The remake of the Bionic women failed & they cancled Wonder Women. I think maybe mainsteam Tv watchers want to see thier heros only on the big screen.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:04 AM

I'm not sure why Bionic Woman failed. I watched a few episodes and enjoyed it. Not a great show, but not bad.

Wonder Woman won't translate into a live action feature for modern audiences. The costume is just too ridiculous. If you were a criminal and Wonder Woman jumped in front of you, your first thought is not, "Uh-oh, a formidable superheroine is here to thwart me." No, your first thought is: "Who ordered the stripper, and why is she dressed like the 4th of July?" The old TV show form the '70s succeeded largely because of this latter reason. It wouldn't happen today.

DD wouldn't even need the costume. Not really. Just a mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies