U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2012, 09:36 AM
JJG

9,855 posts, read 9,492,838 times
One thing I've noticed.... has anyone in the media called this guy a terrorist?

I'm just wondering why not.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 AM

9,621 posts, read 6,497,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I thought that the genl public could not buy body armor or a bullet proof vest? Where the h*ll did this guy get this? I have not heard anything about this fact.
One: bullet proof armor is readily available on line. No real reason to not have it available if you have any suspicions as to the long- or even short-term intentions of "your government".

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Legal_Terms_of_Sale.shtml

Two: The upcoming vote in the UN on the International Treaty on Small Arms Control (title is from memory; I"ll google it here in a minute...) will, we're told by insider Obamanistas, have some level of increased control over our firearms ownership, use limitations and so on.

Oh here it is! Google more of it for your reading enjoyment!

http://www.infowars.com/while-were-a...l-arms-treaty/

Remember now, in Canada, you can own a handgun, but except in the rarest of cases, you can only be found with it en-route to or from a designated target range. Great! No carry in, say, bear country, or even better, ehern out on som lonely Pacific Bech head trail (or whatever they call it on W. Vancouver Island.) If confronted by a serial killer or just plain tanked-up molester type, what does a young woman do pray tell?

There's simply no plausible limitations except full mandatory disarmament, which will then leave the full-auto firearms solely in the hands of the Russian, Asian, Hindi and Sihk gangs in, for instance, "peaceful" Vancouver, B.C. Where automatic firearms violence (premed assassinations and the like) go on unchecked simply because the RCMP are so vastly overwhelmed.

East Indian gang deaths

Vancouver tops in gun violence, study finds

Three: Sadly, if we are to avoid a lifestyle such as the citizens of Soviet Russia enjoyed before "the fall", or now in N. Korea or much of China, or even worse, Canada, Britain or Australia, we simply must accept a level of very infrequent, but therefore more culturally startling, unmitigated violence. This is balanced as well by seemingly "random acts" of extreme generosity and kindness from people like Bill & Melinda or Steve Jobs, and many, many others, all of these activities, ranging up to being 180˚ out of phase with each other, come under the same banner of freedom that our US Constitution provides us all.

I sincerely hope that going to the movies will not become like getting on a plane these days, the TSA:Theater Security Administration: "Just step through the detector m'am. What's that in your purse? Oh, only your personal pepper spray? Sorry: can't have that in here! Now.. would you mind stepping over here while Nurse Jones gets on her latex gloves? Now have your kids bend over.... {don't worry: she'll be gentle on your teenaged son! He looks a bit nervous!! Perhaps this i his "first"?"}

And so on.

Four: My heart goes out to all the Colorado victims and their families.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 PM

706 posts, read 571,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
What are the chances you are going to get shot at a midnight movie? Chances are a baby that sleeps is going to sleep through it. There were a couple of babies last night at my theater and several kids too. A movie is generally a safe activity. It's not like they took their kids to a bar.
I know! The parents of these kids are already going through so much, I'd hate to have them hear about all these people criticizing them for taking their kids to an essentially safe activity at a strange hour.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:04 PM

8,108 posts, read 10,470,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
I know! The parents of these kids are already going through so much, I'd hate to have them hear about all these people criticizing them for taking their kids to an essentially safe activity at a strange hour.
Agreed.

Whether folks meant it or not, when you join in a conversation about innocent shooting victims, and you criticize parents for bringing their children to a public activity, it sure sounds like you're blaming the victims. Shame on all of you who did it. Show a little class.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 AM

5,740 posts, read 5,963,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I disagree. I've managed drive-in theatres, multiplexes, etc.. Time has a LOT to do when things happen at a theatre and who attends. While such an event COULD happen during the day, the chances are about a hundred times smaller. To put it a way that might get through your filters, the chances of a teen coming into the 4PM early bird special and shooting up seniors is pretty slim. OTOH, parking lot shootings on weekend nights, like when "Purple Rain" was first showing happened a few places.

Wrong. Time has nothing to do with anything. Can you please tell me what time of day most shootings like this happen? Mall, school, or otherwise. Almost all of them happen during the day so your statement is false. I could go to any movie theater right now and kill several people if I was equiped to do so. The time of day is irrelevant and these things can happen at anytime.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 AM

11,339 posts, read 25,087,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Wrong. Time has nothing to do with anything. Can you please tell me what time of day most shootings like this happen? Mall, school, or otherwise. Almost all of them happen during the day so your statement is false. I could go to any movie theater right now and kill several people if I was equiped to do so. The time of day is irrelevant and these things can happen at anytime.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Understand that my statement is from experience of over 25 years directly in theatres and theatre management and even more in related fields. I was specifically speaking of movie theatres, not malls or schools as you have broadened the claim to make your rebuttal. If you truly think time is irrelevant, then I will take your claim, turn it around on you and come up with the obvious idiocy of: I could go to a school at 3AM and hold all the students hostage... time is irrelevant! Oh wait... they are all at home in bed... Oops! I could also go to a theatre at 10AM and hold the cleaner hostage... hmmm, not much interest in that story either... If you went into a theatre today, Monday, during the day, chances are excellent that you might be lucky to find thirty people spread around ten auditoriums. If you are a mass murderer, you are also a brain dead mass murderer to choose such a time to attack a theatre.

You are making the error of attempting to defend an untenable position for the sake of being right. As you get older, you'll discover that doing so is not profitable.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:15 PM

7,182 posts, read 7,103,805 times
Heh you two make me want to get popcorn and sit back and watch what unfolds. My guess is probably the locking of this thread but whatever.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM

5,740 posts, read 5,963,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. Understand that my statement is from experience of over 25 years directly in theatres and theatre management and even more in related fields. I was specifically speaking of movie theatres, not malls or schools as you have broadened the claim to make your rebuttal. If you truly think time is irrelevant, then I will take your claim, turn it around on you and come up with the obvious idiocy of: I could go to a school at 3AM and hold all the students hostage... time is irrelevant! Oh wait... they are all at home in bed... Oops! I could also go to a theatre at 10AM and hold the cleaner hostage... hmmm, not much interest in that story either... If you went into a theatre today, Monday, during the day, chances are excellent that you might be lucky to find thirty people spread around ten auditoriums. If you are a mass murderer, you are also a brain dead mass murderer to choose such a time to attack a theatre.

You are making the error of attempting to defend an untenable position for the sake of being right. As you get older, you'll discover that doing so is not profitable.

I think you missed my point. I am not saying time is overall irrelevant, that's just common sense. Obviously hours of business would be relevant to the target site of the shooting. However, time of day is irrelevant when talking about whether people or more specifically certain people should be out. Not everyone in this world lives the same hours and I despise the fact that people will judge others because they dont live the 9 to 5, in bed by 10 lifestyle that some do or in some cases the luxury of doing so. When i was growing up, my mother often worked until 10PM at night so we would go out for late dinners or stay up late to play a board game. Not everyone gets to life what some would call "standard hours".

I take my kids to the local theme park often and they are open until midnight. A shooting could just as easily happen there as anywhere and if someone judged me because I had my kids there, I wouldnt be happy about it.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM

11,339 posts, read 25,087,068 times
Being in the theatre industry, I'm well aware of non-standard hours. I make ZERO judgment on when people "should" or "shouldn't" be out, and have been horrified at the restrictive curfews that have grown common in metropolitan areas. The mentality that forces conformity is anti-creative, and it is only through creativity that a society can grow. There were many times when I was a teen that I was out and about late at night, or up before the cows delivering papers.

What I AM saying is that there are distinct changes in demographics between audiences, based on time of day, day of week, and film content. Those changing demographics are well established and well known. A murderer who is titillated by a certain film or film character is more likely to strike out when others who are also intrigued are in an audience. There may not be fully logical connections in a deranged mind, but I have yet to hear of a "Muppet Movie Murderer" or a "When Harry Met Sally Slaughterer". As I pointed out with "Purple Rain", issues with gunplay and that film were at night. Violence IN THEATRES tends to occur at night.

While big city theatres presenting Thursday midnight shows may well be able to gather adequate security and staff, smaller venues are put at risk by these shows. As such, and with a client base of smaller locations, I'm not a big fan of them, whether it be a Batman film or any other film.

If you are stating that judging whether or not a child should be out at midnight or not, I have no opinion. I do have an opinion that there are some films that are not proper fare for children, and that some parents don't have boundaries that I would have. I fear that such boundaries are a losing battle though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies