Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 03:06 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It is kind of hard to explain, but I guess when I was watching it, it seemed like they made all of the "unaccepting" penguins the type of people who are in church. They talked about tradition and not accepting him, and it seemed like it was in reference to church. One example would be the part in the movie when the penguins were dancing and the ones who wanted to stick to singing were singing. They way they were singing was exactly like a church hymn. It happened a couple times throughout the movie.
You are really reaching here. You could say that is really about anything when it comes to social situations, not just church. This happens in high school, in offices, college, and all types of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 08:09 PM

531 posts, read 501,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It is kind of hard to explain, but I guess when I was watching it, it seemed like they made all of the "unaccepting" penguins the type of people who are in church. They talked about tradition and not accepting him, and it seemed like it was in reference to church. One example would be the part in the movie when the penguins were dancing and the ones who wanted to stick to singing were singing. They way they were singing was exactly like a church hymn. It happened a couple times throughout the movie.
Sounds like a remake of Footloose.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
I've only seen it once, and that was in the back of minivan while driving across the country. I couldn't get into the movie enough to analyze the themes. I thought it was extraordinarily boring. The scenery and road construction out the window were more interesting.

At least The Pebble & the Penguin had killer whales and sea lions.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:48 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
The rigidity of the major conservative group (whatever that may be) vs. the openness required by creativity is a fairly common theme in life. I see it again and again. Dredge up the Woody Allen thread if you want an example right here. A number of posters were vilifying him because they thought that A. he was married to Farrow, and B. Sun-ye (sic) was an under-aged daughter and C. (never said, but there nonetheless) he was a New York Jew. Those strong filters didn't allow them to see or understand his film-making and style, much less appreciate it. Correcting the misconceptions had no effect on their stance, which I found pretty neat in an anthropological study sort of way. (I find rigid attitudes hitting the brick wall of reality more fascinating than most movie crash scenes.)

"Happy Smelly Feet" was in some ways a slap in the face to the real lives of the black tap dancers of the 1930s and 1940s - much more so than "Song of the South" was to blacks in general. It really was a boring and vile little bird dropping that I'd rather not analyze too deeply, other than to say it was a perverted view by some conflicted people.

FWIW, cultures go through cycles of conservatism and liberalism, usually related to the excesses of war and the rejection of unsuccessful conservative values that ensnared the culture into those death traps. The films of the 1970s and early 1930s tended towards liberal themes. The "Flappers" and "Hippies" were expressions of reactionary liberalism that got neatly stereotyped by conservatives. In contrast to all of that, the culture is on a conservative kick at this point; one which may remain until there is a "snot kicked out" event again, much as WW I and Vietnam showed the masses the depravity of war and those who promoted it, and put the conservatives on deep defense.

If you want examples of liberal themed films, consider "Get Out Your Handkerchiefs", a popular film made in the 1970s that no way would EVER be green-lighted today, and the "Topper" films, that presented a view of alcohol use that would be ripped into today by every conservative organization on the planet.

In rigid times, films tend to be bad or propaganda in some form, or a combination of both.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:13 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If you want examples of liberal themed films, consider "Get Out Your Handkerchiefs", a popular film made in the 1970s that no way would EVER be green-lighted today, and the "Topper" films, that presented a view of alcohol use that would be ripped into today by every conservative organization on the planet.
I guess you're refering to GOYH's sexual theme. It was a French film, and European films in general tend to deal with sexuality more frankly than American films.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 AM

Very true, and I perhaps should have suggested something like "Cabaret", but had just re-watched GOYH and was amused by the ongoing sweater gag.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:56 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The rigidity of the major conservative group (whatever that may be) vs. the openness required by creativity is a fairly common theme in life. I see it again and again. Dredge up the Woody Allen thread if you want an example right here. A number of posters were vilifying him because they thought that A. he was married to Farrow, and B. Sun-ye (sic) was an under-aged daughter and C. (never said, but there nonetheless) he was a New York Jew. Those strong filters didn't allow them to see or understand his film-making and style, much less appreciate it. Correcting the misconceptions had no effect on their stance, which I found pretty neat in an anthropological study sort of way. (I find rigid attitudes hitting the brick wall of reality more fascinating than most movie crash scenes.)
We really should separate the art from the artist.

Look at Roman Polanski. He's a scumbag of a human being. He's an incredibly talented filmmaker. His personal life doesn't make his movies any less brilliant.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
We really should separate the art from the artist.

Look at Roman Polanski. He's a scumbag of a human being. He's an incredibly talented filmmaker. His personal life doesn't make his movies any less brilliant.
In some ways I agree, but I also realize that many of the great artists lived tortured lives, and those experiences were part of how their great art was achieved. Good point though.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,502 times
The movie is completely against the roman catholic church specifically and i can explain it quite well. I also believe that since the roman Catholic church represents nearly 1 billion people , it is an all out attack on christianity. It also supports gay rights and slams the church fo being anti gay. I want to be clear that i dont consider my self religious. I believe in the fair treatment of all human beings and believe in ying yang theology. Nothing is truly good nor bad as long as it doesnt affect those around you in a negative way. I am for gay rights. I believe the catholic church put anti gay messaging into the new testament making born again chrstians believe being gay is a sin. If you didn't see it, it was because you were not connecting what was happening in the movie to the basic history of the roman catholic church. In 312 ad, the roman catholic church was born because the roman emperor Constantine converted from paganism to Christianity. Prior to the time of Constantine's "conversion," Christians were persecuted not so much for their profession of faith in Christ, but because they would not include pagan deities in their faith as well. Then, with Constantine's emphasis on making his new-found Christianity palatable to the heathen in the Empire, the "Christianization" of these pagan deities was facilitated. The paganism slowly drifted out of existence because the church wanted to get rid of anything that even seemed pagan. What then ensued was the complete control by the church. They were able to make people believe and act the way they wanted to and would punish those who break the rules. They not only took the pagan faith and morphed it with Christianity, they also took what they had left and changed it for century's to get people to believe what they wanted. The Catholic church believes that anything the leaders say( popes/ bishops/ cardinals/ priests) goes. In actuality, Roman Catholicism places itself above Scripture. I will now connect this to the movie
. Here is a brief plot of happy feet, this will be a rough connection because I'm not going to waste a whole day writing a paper to explain the depth of the movie.
Murble is the main character in the movie . Memphis is his father and Gloria is murbles crush.
Murble befriends a group of Adelie Penguins called "the Amigos", who embrace Mumble's dance moves and assimilate him into their group. After seeing a hidden human excavator in an avalanche, they opt to ask Lovelace, a Rockhopper Penguin, about its origin. Lovelace has the plastic rings of a six pack entangled around his neck, which he claims to have been bestowed upon him by mystic beings. Aka humans placing them on the penguin.

For the emperor penguins, it is mating season and Gloria is the center of attention. Ramon tries to help Mumble win her affection by singing a Spanish version of "My Way", with Mumble lip syncing. When Gloria sees Ramon behind Mumble's back, she becomes angry and turns away. As a last resort, Mumble begins tap dancing in synch with her song. She falls for him and all the youthful penguins join in for singing and dancing to "Boogie Wonderland". The elders are appalled by Mumble's conduct, which they see as the reason for their lean fishing season. Memphis begs Mumble to stop dancing, for his own sake, but when Mumble refuses, he is banished.
For the emperor penguins, it is mating season and Gloria is the center of attention. Ramon tries to help Mumble win her affection by singing a Spanish version of "My Way", with Mumble lip syncing. When Gloria sees Ramon behind Mumble's back, she becomes angry and turns away. As a last resort, Mumble begins tap dancing in synch with her . She falls for him and all the youthful penguins join in for singing and dancing to "Boogie Wonderland". The elders are appalled by Mumble's conduct, which they see as the reason for their lean fishing season. Memphis begs Mumble to stop dancing, for his own sake, but when Mumble refuses, he is banished.

Murble can't sing"be normal according to the penguins" and it is against tradition to dance" to be gay". So the elders don't like it.they blame the dancing "being gay" for the current famine the penguins face. Just as the early roman catholic christians didn't like any form of paganism. It is more than coincidental that they used penguins because if sounds like "pagans" Also the emporer specifically called murbles dancing an act of paganism and u will hear it jn the movie. The roman catholic church smothered paganism and did successfully unlike the elder penguins trying to smother happy feet dancing"being gay"this is a deliberate message to today's church that if they remain being against gays they will be taken down because the young penguin "pagan/athiest/agnostic" population will not stand for it.
The elder penguins represent the elders pope/ cardinals / bishops. While murble represents gay pagans who dance instead of sing. I say he is gay because Memphis the father has the attitude that his son is dancing "gay" because he dropped him while he was an egg " baby". It is common for father's to say my son likes to dance " is gay" ( which dancing men do have a higher population of gays)because I dropped him, genetics, and many other reasons other than the fact that he might just like to dance " be gay". Memphis represents the roman catholic traditionalist who can't stand his son being gay " dancing". I also find it more than coincidental that the spefic dance and movie title was happy feet "gay feet" I know its hard to believe that such a family friendly movie could hold such anti religious view and specifically trying to support the gay rights movement, but the evidence is clear. PLEASE REWATCH THIS MOVIE WITH ALL OF THIS IN MIND, FOR YOUR OWN SAKE. Don't be ignorant of the fact that the media controls and manipulates every thought of our children. That in turn manipulates the next generation. It happened to us. Dont let your children be manipulated, educated them and yourself.The media controls us more than you could imagine. They can track us more than ever before, cellphones, cameras, habits while shopping, watching TV, driving, they know almost every aspect of the average american life down to what cup of coffee we like to drink most. Once again I am
For gay rights, I don't have a religious affiliation and I am a independent. I am simply spelling out what I see and what I hope u will open your eyes to. The church manipulated its followers and people rebelled with Lutheranism. The manipulation of the media is far worse than that of the church. The church could only have dreamnt of having phones, TVs, tablet's, and now Google glasses. We as a people will eventually be forced into a perceived freedom( more than what we already experience). We will one day rise us up and fight those who try to control our lives. History will always repeat itself. The media and government of today's society will be the downfall of the greatest civilization humans have ever achieved, that is if we sit and do nothing to change our current focus of entertainment, media, and government. We need to focus on education, preserving our planet, and riding the world of poverty.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,502 times
Media could also be raw data that is out there on each person, which is avaiable to the media, stores. Businesses, the government agencys, political groups, and service jobs. And even the internet will one day know what ads to send on each page you open. Marketing to the individual is possible if you can get enough information on ones life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies