U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 AM

4,728 posts, read 2,744,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handfull View Post
Not as a rule, unless it's a decent WW2 movie or Sherlock Holmes. I don't care for black and white movies, because it's not realistic. Some of the B/W colored over are better.

The colorized movies have the garish tones of the early forms of Technicolor, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 11:48 PM

6 posts, read 2,390 times
Personally, I judge movies on an individual basis, not by which era they were made in, and I find that some older (regardless of B&W or color) films draw me in, while others simply don't. Same thing with modern movies, some appeal, others don't.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:19 AM

625 posts, read 533,121 times
I am averse to watching movies that were released before I was born...anything made before the 80's is too much for me to take. The poor quality graphics/sound quality bothers me enough that even classic storylines/plots or great acting cannot pull it off for me , which is unfortunate because I do appreciate a good plot and solid acting which is rare in today's movies and I know there were many quality movies made in the past!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:58 AM

14,699 posts, read 13,551,850 times
I like a lot of older movies but there are probably a lot more I don't like. I've DVRed plenty from TCM and gave up after 15 minutes or so. Sometimes they are just too corny or I really can't relate to what they are trying to say.

Come to think of it, most of the ones I like are military movies. Bridge on the River Kwai, Dirty Dozen, The Caine Mutiny, Inglorious Bastards (the original), Kelley's Heroes, Battle of Midway, et al are movies that I can watch over and over.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:00 AM

14,699 posts, read 13,551,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The colorized movies have the garish tones of the early forms of Technicolor, IMHO.
Colorized movies look awful. Part of the problem is that many of the props were a ridiculous color because they had to stand out in black and white. I remember reading a story about a Three Stooges scene that prominently featured a stove. They wanted to stove to really stand out in the scene so they picked the color yellow for the stove. When it was colorized, it just looked silly.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:01 AM

28,103 posts, read 22,881,067 times
Yes. Cary Grant is my favorite actor.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:28 PM

10,263 posts, read 3,828,578 times
Frankly Yes. TCM is my favorite channel. I even like movies that were made before the hayes code was established, although I'm not quite that old. Red-Headed Woman comes to mind. I was born in the fifties. There is something satisfying about watching movies that look like pictures from your childhood.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 AM

5,463 posts, read 2,808,512 times
Love all the old black and white movies... watched Stella Dallas yesterday on youtube.. with the best perfomance ever from Barbara Stanwyck.. have a watch , you cant help but enjoy it.. Some others.. The Old Maid..with Bette Davis....Dark Victory Bette Davis.. The Heiress. Olivia de Haviland... Rebecca, John Fontaine... all classics.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:55 AM

13,039 posts, read 14,814,472 times
I like GOOD movies older than myself and thank goodness there are many... I love Black and White films, I never understand people who find it an obstacle to enjoying a film. If a film is great being in Black and White is irrelevent and you almost forget you are watching it not in colour. A bit like a great film with subtitles or an Opera with surtitles.

I love Classic films and some of them are still so crisp and so beautiful shot that they have not aged at all when much more recent ones have. I was watching "Psycho" the other day with Hubby and we were commenting on how incredibly beautifully lit it was and how exquisite the cinematography was.

I don't think anyone these days could ever remake as good a film as "Citizen Kane" or "The Third Man" for example and where are the real stars these days like Cary Grant, James Stewart, Katherine Hepburn, Stewart Granger, David Niven, etc ? ...

A great mvoie relies on a great script, great acting and superb cinematography and many, many of the old Classics have those oozing out of their pores. There were plenty of bad movies too, not every single one is great obviously but seeing what trash comes out of Hollywood these days I would on the whole take a Classic film over a modern one.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:04 AM

8,443 posts, read 1,378,497 times
I was born in 1953, but I love good movies from any era. I have a small collection of silent movies which are very entertaining to watch. Films like Erich Von Stroheim's 'Greed', and Pandora's Box with the divine Louise Brooks. Some thirties films starring people like Bette Davis, Errol Flynn and Clark Gable. 'Red Headed Woman with Jean Harlow has been mentioned - great movie. Every decade has classics which can be watched again and again. Not so much the last twenty years or so because the target audience are 12 year olds. These kids form the majority cinema audience nowadays, so we get quick moving, noisy popcorn films. Watched once, then forgotten. The only modern film star to be reckoned with against big stars of the past in my opinion, is Tom Hanks. Tom just needs a couple more great films to be remembered in future years like great stars of the past. Don't know if he'll make it or not, because his recent output has not been great. I live in hope!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies