Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 12:04 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,807,650 times

Advertisements

Well back to the OP.

I love Breaker Morant and have seen it perhaps 30 times but now do not feel the need to do so. This goes hand in hand with that other thread of what is your favorite film. There are none after literally dozen(s) repeat viewings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 02:26 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,449,053 times
Red face VHS TAPE are WORTHLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Thanks.

Current DVD player only Region 1. Because it has dual DVD and VHS capability. Own many VHS tapes. Maybe I should sell them to Dude111 here who loves VHS.

We may upgrade soon to all region.

The Retreat From Kiska
nobody wants VHS , the local Goodwill sells them for .30 cents each

my VHS player has stopped playing, I wont bother replacing it , the VHS has gone the way of the 8 track tape, obsolete and no longer popular.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:36 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,807,650 times
Dude111 loves em.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:32 AM

74 posts, read 63,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My sister was one of those people. There were several films, such as the LOTR trilogy (though she'd skip through the boring parts) which she'd literally watch many times. She'd go through phases where she'd watch the same movie every day for like 3 weeks or something to the point where she could memorise every line by heart. Posting on the imdb message board I'm aware of people who say they've seen certain movies as often as 100 times!

I'm thinking of my favourite movies, and I don't think I've ever completely seen any film more than 5-6 times. What about you, which film have you seen the most times and how many? I've probably seen Forrest Gump, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Midnight Cowboy and Scarface about 5 times each. I first saw them in the early 00s so it's still less than once in 2 years on average. Usually, I watch a film once, maybe twice if I missed things and that's it, time to watch new movies.
Movies I've watched more than once (despite not having a DVD player):

West Side Story, certainly!
I make it a point of going to see the movie WSS overtime it either comes to a movie theatre in my area, or at least within reasonable driving distance of me, or on the TCM Channel.

Others are as follows:

Jaws
Lawrence of Arabia
Wizard of Oz
Sound of Music
Dr. Zhivago

Old 09-11-2016, 12:12 PM

3,050 posts, read 1,664,406 times
I watched 'Miracle on 34th Street' every year when I was a kid, and started watching it again every single year again when I bought copies in the 90's. Definitely my most-watched movie.

"The Predator" is the 2nd most-viewed movie, and I watch it about once every two years. I never tire of it.

"Ten Commandments" and "Wizard of Oz" are others, but I don't go out of my way to watch those anymore.

And I'm one of those who still has VHS and DVD. My VCR still runs like a good clock, and I see no reason to chuck it and get rid of the tapes until it breaks.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:19 AM

14,612 posts, read 17,424,739 times
Default Subset: Non-famous movies that you've seen many times

In 1984 the two big romantic movies were Romancing the Stone (RS), and Splash. But about 6 months after RS, there was a small budget film of a similar theme called American Dreamer Starring JoBeth Williams, Tom Conti, and Giancarlo Giannini. It was not a financial or a critical success.

It is about a winner of a romantic mystery-writing contest. She loses her memory when she's hit by a car, and begins acting as if she were the female detective in her story.

But for some reason, I love this film. I've shown it to many people and they all seem to like it. It is particularly interesting because most people have never heard of it.

One person described it as extremely hilarious, endlessly innovative, and criminally underrated romantic comedy noir.

It's on youtube, but not in English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35RiFqWhLWE

Old 09-15-2016, 08:03 PM

196 posts, read 387,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My sister was one of those people. There were several films, such as the LOTR trilogy (though she'd skip through the boring parts) which she'd literally watch many times. She'd go through phases where she'd watch the same movie every day for like 3 weeks or something to the point where she could memorise every line by heart. Posting on the imdb message board I'm aware of people who say they've seen certain movies as often as 100 times!

I'm thinking of my favourite movies, and I don't think I've ever completely seen any film more than 5-6 times. What about you, which film have you seen the most times and how many? I've probably seen Forrest Gump, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Midnight Cowboy and Scarface about 5 times each. I first saw them in the early 00s so it's still less than once in 2 years on average. Usually, I watch a film once, maybe twice if I missed things and that's it, time to watch new movies.
I don't typically watch movies over and over again, but if its' playing over and over again i might inadvertantly watch it.

Lord of The Rings, yes. over and over again... its always on...
Blade Trilogy
Alien Series
Pitch Black
Predator
Just about any Bruce Lee movie

They have to be playing on TV - I don't pop in a DVD or however we watch movies today. Otherwise I watch a movie once and never look at it again.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:10 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
I completely obsessed over Lion King when I discovered it, and got the DVD. I've always been a big fan of African music and culture. They did such a good job with that film; lots of research went into it.

My other obsessive fave is Genghis Blues. I'm also a huge fan of Russia's cultural diversity, and Mongol culture. That is SUCH a cool film, and has so much heart! Too bad Paul Pena didn't live long enough to go back to Tuva again. His health started failing not long after the film came out.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:02 PM

19,263 posts, read 15,146,341 times
I don't trust anyone who doesn't watch their favorite movies over and over again.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 341 times
Oddly enough I watch Groundhog Day over and over. I watched Jaws 8 times in 7 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies