Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 03:47 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Ahnuld to return as Conan:

Schwarzenegger And Conan The Barbarian Reunited in Universal Reboot

Thrilled as I am by this, I'm a lot less interested unless Milius gets involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Ahnuld to return as Conan:

Schwarzenegger And Conan The Barbarian Reunited in Universal Reboot

Thrilled as I am by this, I'm a lot less interested unless Milius gets involved.
I love Schwarzenegger as much as the next guy, And can see another Terminator or Even him as Dutch in a predator sequel, But Conan does not seem to fit him at this point. It's not believable. The Conan character is too out here for a man of his age. An aging Dutch returning to assist new people in a fight against the Yjuta hunters makes more sense mostly.

Though it cannot possibly be worse then the Conan remake. Conan had perfect Hollywood teeth in that one and looked more stripper then warrior and the female baddie was unintentionally hilarious. Why did she have a Mr. Potato head forehead??

Old 10-29-2012, 04:28 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
I enjoyed all his roles in Terminator, Predator, Conan and even as Hercules but he should not be making any movies based on a physically dominant, powerful characters, period! He should make stuff like Jingle All the Way, that is about all I care to see him.

He is 65 crying out loud!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

Old 10-30-2012, 04:29 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Schwartzenegger played Conan with tongue in cheek, the way the character should be played. Conan, after all, is a fantasy character, and Arnold let us all join in with the fantasy playacting.

He can't do what he could 30 years ago, so where's the Conan? Do we really want to see a 65 year old guy in a half naked barbarian suit? I don't think so, especially when he's trying to scale walls, carry off nubile maidens 1/3 his age, or swinging that 40 lb. sword around.

I can see him re-making a Predator movie. I can even see him re-making a Terminator movie, but I just can visualize how he can be Conan now. We didn't go to those flicks to see Conan's daddy back in the day, and I don't think we will be willing to have another Conan who can't fill the role like Arnold did; he was made to be Conan the Barbarian from the ground up.

Bad choice, Arnold. Stop now, before it's too late. Do like John Wayne and find yourself some material suitable for your age.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Keep in mind that Robert E. Howard wrote Conan stories until the character was well past middle age -- when he was King of Aqulionia.

I'm glad Ahnie is back, but it all depends on the director. If they get Milius back ... giddy up. If not, I'll wait and see.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
I am going to guess they will have Arnold playing the older Conan when he is King. He will make a fine King Conan, and have them build around that.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
I think Conan became King after the people of his kingdom decided to recall their former King because the republicans said he wasn't doing a very good job and the suckers, errr, the people actually bought it and recalled him out and voted for Conan. Hmm, that sounds kinda familiar

Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
Considering the prowess of the character of Conan at his best, and the age of Schwartzenegger now, I'm reminded of the science fiction series Discworld by Terry Pratchett, specifically a character he creates in the second book of the series The Light Fantastic, obviously based on Conan. (see my mild spoiler at the end). From that book:
The barbarian chieftain said: 'What then are the greatest things that a man may find in life?'
The man on his right thoughtfully drank his cocktail of mare's milk and snowcat blood, and spoke thus: 'The crisp horizon of the steppe, the wind in your hair, a fresh horse under you.'
The man on his left said: 'The cry of the white eagle in the heights, the fall of snow in the forest, a true arrow in your bow.'
The chieftain nodded, and said: 'Surely it is the sight of your enemy slain, the humiliation of his tribe and the lamentation of his women.'
There was a general murmur of whiskery approval at this outrageous display.

Then the chieftain turned respectfully to his guest, a small figure carefully warming his chilblains by the fire, and said: 'But our guest, whose name is legend, must tell us truly: what is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?'
The warriors leaned closer. This should be worth hearing.

The guest thought long and hard and then said, with deliberation: 'Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper.'
So says the guest whose legend has been passed on from grandfather to father, father to son, having the name of Cohen.

BOOK SPOILER BELOW:

Pratchett writes about this character who was the most fearsome warrior of his time, ... but that time was a while ago! His legion being passed down from grandfather to father to son means it's been two generations! A LONG time for a 'hero' to survive. and yet he still survives. Consider the ramifications. Age, but also survival with that rep.
Too Funny!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
If Crom wills it...

Conan The Barbarian - Crom Speech - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies