Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times

Advertisements

Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire was terrible. It was the best of the books and the movie didnt come close to doing it Justice and made it the worst of the movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire was terrible. It was the best of the books and the movie didnt come close to doing it Justice and made it the worst of the movies.
It is my favorite of all of them. It is the perfect transitional movie. Everything changes with this episode.
I love the look of the movie. I love the kids from the other schools. And, it's the one with David Tennant.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I wouldn't say Aliens was better than Alien but...maybe. Certainly was as good, even if it was more commercial.

Its the only one I can think of that way though. Generally I like the first movie and its all downhill from there.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 PM

753 posts, read 727,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I can think of two. Aliens was better than the first Alien Movie AND Terminator II was better than Terminator!

Anyone have any other opinions on sequels better than original movie?????

[Aliens] [1986] [Trailer] - YouTube

Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Official Trailer [1991] - YouTube
Aliens was a rather generic shoot-em-up, whereas Alien was a far more interesting, deliberate meld of science fiction and horror.

Terminator II was better on some levels, except the last 1/3rd of the film -- long freeway, a chase, a final stand-off in an industrial complex -- was lifted straight from the original. Also, the better effects of the sequel also negated a nice edginess present in the first film.

Some candidates:

The Dark Knight
The Silence Of The Lambs [Mannhunter is consider better by some, mostly due to the absurd notion that it's more chic and arty if it was a less-popular forerunner]
A Fistful of Dollars [to the debateable extent that it truly is a sequel]
The Road Warrior

Old 12-07-2012, 09:12 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Hands down, The Chronicles of Riddick surpassed Pitch Black-the latter being merely a survival
fest while Chronicles delved into several darker themes. The ending was splendid with a truly unexpected twist.
I would enjoy a 3rd. film (sequel) about what Riddick would do next with a more sinister challenger. Vin Diesel
would be the only one to play the role again.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:27 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,306 times
Hannibal was much better than Silence of the Lambs. Just Kidding!!!

Originals almost always comes out on top

Old 12-08-2012, 05:08 AM

8 posts, read 5,509 times
Lords of the rings 2nd part was far better then first one

Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back"
"Star Trek: Wrath of Khan"
"Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire"
"Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers"
"underworld: Rise of the Lycans"
"Dirty Harry: Magnum Force"
"X-Men: First Class" - though not a sequel per se, it was much better than those that came before
"Die Hard: Live Free or Die Hard" - almost as good as the first one, definitely better than those in the middle
Lotsa good picks there!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
The Silence Of The Lambs [Mannhunter is consider better by some, mostly due to the absurd notion that it's more chic and arty if it was a less-popular forerunner]
Some consider Michael Mann a good filmmaker. I think those folks must be drinking too much while watching movies. Michael Mann has a great visual sense, but as a storyteller and developer of character, his movies are a mess.

With Manhunter, Mann took a very good book (Thomas Harris's Red Dragon), and turned it into a barely watchable thriller. Watchable mostly because of Brian Cox's very creepy portrayal of Hannibal Lecter. The rest of the film is average at best.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
I enjoyed Nightmare On Elm Street....very original; but I found the third one Dream Warriors the most campy and entertaining of all the series.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3 Trailer - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies