U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:10 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,123,037 times

Advertisements

IMDb Top 250

We have all seen this list. Discuss the most over-rated movies that are in this list. I can see a lot of one and they are not hard to find, just look at #1. I'm not saying that they are necessarily BAD movies, but let's pick on the ones that are obvious (to us).

The Usual Suspects
Fight Club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,450,539 times
I don't get the wide appeal of Fight Club. The whole underlying premise is flimsy IMO. I didn't think it was particularly well written, acted or directed. That it's #10 on that list implies it appeals to a whole lot of people who don't seem to care.

I don't mind The Usual Suspects. It would probably crack my top 250, but not nearly as high as #26.

I think in both of those cases there were memes out there that propelled each movie's success ("The first rule of Fight Club...", "Who is Kaiser Soze?") and these days people remember memes more than the actual content behind them.

I've tried watching Inception from start to finish a couple of times. It's challenging to follow. Sometimes that makes for an enjoyable watching experience. Other times it's just a chore. Inception was a chore for me. Incredible CGI - a visual feast - and even well acted (I used to think DiCaprio was hugely overrated, but he's won me over in past decade). Also, there was no suspense in the whole snow bunker plot line - compare that sequence to similar sequences in the Matrix movies when they had to bring people back to the mothership. It was weak, IMO.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 AM

When I see The Bourne Ultimatum ahead of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, I just shake my head.

Or, seeing Forrest Gump ahead of ANYTHING.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 PM

16,802 posts, read 51,151,571 times
*meh* why bother? It is a great poll of who votes the most, what those people watch, and what they like. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no logical basis for a rational system of government. Strange kids with a mean age under 26, voting online, is no basis for a rational system of "best" movies.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM

13,349 posts, read 16,466,269 times
Modern Times (Charlie Chaplin) ... really? Maybe to film buffs and those who were alive at the time of release.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 AM

283 posts, read 417,280 times
Well, I didn't have to read very far down the list to make my choice of the most overrated.

The Dark Night at #7?

Really?

I find that absurd. I mean, yeah, Heath Ledger's performance was awesome; the best villian ever in any Batman movie. It was so good, in fact, that during the film I found myself waiting for Joker scenes as the rest of the movie proceeded. But, take Ledger out of that flick and it was just another mediocre, special effects-driven super hero action movie.

And I think Fight Club and "The Usual Suspects" deserve their high ratings. I think a lot of people didn't get the moral of the story in Fight CLub, and the twist ending of "Suspects" is one of the two or three best ever committed to Film.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:08 PM

15,036 posts, read 19,670,899 times
I don't get the appeal of Fight Club either. It struck me as one of those shallow movies that thought itself deep. Good acting by all concerned, but basically a very dumb movie.

The Matrix is a horrible movie on so many levels.

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Psycho should both be much higher on the list.

Inglorious Basterds? Really? It's not a bad movie, but it's definitely one of Tarantino's weakest efforts. Unlike Fight Club, which is trying to be deep but is really shallow, Inglorious Basterds is trying to be shallow and succeeding all too well.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 AM

283 posts, read 417,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't get the appeal of Fight Club either. It struck me as one of those shallow movies that thought itself deep. Good acting by all concerned, but basically a very dumb movie.

The Matrix is a horrible movie on so many levels.

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Psycho should both be much higher on the list.

Inglorious Basterds? Really? It's not a bad movie, but it's definitely one of Tarantino's weakest efforts. Unlike Fight Club, which is trying to be deep but is really shallow, Inglorious Basterds is trying to be shallow and succeeding all too well.

Yeah, see? You're one of the people I was talkin' about in my earlier post re Fight Club, when I said that I felt a lot of people didn't understand the point the movie tried to convey.
One has to remember--or maybe they weren't aware?--that the movie was based on the novel by Chuck Palhuanik. who is one of the two or three best satirists and wry observers of modern society.
But I agree with you on The Matrix. Awful. Juvenile tech-nerd plot and the usual wooden acting by Keanu Reeves. (Is there a worse actor on the planet?)

Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
The Matrix. Awful. Juvenile tech-nerd plot and the usual wooden acting by Keanu Reeves. (Is there a worse actor on the planet?)
Ben Affleck?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 PM

15,036 posts, read 19,670,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
Yeah, see? You're one of the people I was talkin' about in my earlier post re Fight Club, when I said that I felt a lot of people didn't understand the point the movie tried to convey.
One has to remember--or maybe they weren't aware?--that the movie was based on the novel by Chuck Palhuanik. who is one of the two or three best satirists and wry observers of modern society.
Yeah, I got all that. I just didn't find it all that clever. Satire is the lowest and easiest of the artforms. Sure, modern society is messed up in many ways. And ... ? And there the story just didn't have much to offer. It's what I meant when I wrote that the story thinks itself deep but is actually pretty shallow. I stand by that.

One may rightly sneer at something contemptible. But that doesn't make the sneer an admirable statement. And it sure doesn't hint at any depth. Fight Club struck me as little more than a sneer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies