Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,105,948 times

Advertisements

finally downlo....errr....went to the theaters to see this one. What a fun movie!

I'd say its up there in Quinton's top 3, but Pulp Fiction is still #1. Christoph Waltz is amazing. Its crazy how he just blew up in the U.S. after doing Inglorius Bastards, because before that, his IMDB is mostly all German movies LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 AM

601 posts, read 1,075,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
finally downlo....errr....went to the theaters to see this one. What a fun movie!

I'd say its up there in Quinton's top 3, but Pulp Fiction is still #1. Christoph Waltz is amazing. Its crazy how he just blew up in the U.S. after doing Inglorius Bastards, because before that, his IMDB is mostly all German movies LOL.
Yeah LOL, Pulp Fiction definitely a classic.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 AM

601 posts, read 1,075,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I just watched it. Excellent movie
Yeah it is!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,018 times
Well, I just saw the movie and I can agree that it is very entertaining. I like the fact that it depicts some of the hardships and atrocities that American slaves faced. However, I think the shootout in the big house was little over the top. I’m a fan of Tarantino, but I think it should have been more Pulp Fiction than Kill Bill. Another minor issue is the dogmatism of Sam Jackson’s character. While I’m sure there were many unrepentant sellout uncle toms in the 1800’s, I think for the average white person that may see the film who is informed or harshly reminded of the wrongdoings legally perpetrated on blacks by whites in the south, Sam’s zealousness at the end (even after Leo dies) would nullify the effect of the previous two hours of the film and cause many to think, “Well, I shouldn’t feel too bad because they were doing it to themselves”. I have found this to be a common argument amongst those who downplay slavery. It’s kind of a subconscious easy way out. I might have preferred if Sam Jackson died at the hands of one of the whites that he so loved… perhaps Leo’s sister in order to save herself or something.

While I know the movie is not supposed to be a factual documentary about slavery, I think for the average person that knows only a fair amount about the institution, the fact that the last few shootout scenes are so over the top may cause some to say, “This is so fake… That other stuff (regarding the slaves) is probably exaggerated also.” In various portions, particularly the last 30 minutes, it just seems like “Shaft/Super Fly: The Slavery Edition”. I know Tarantino is a fan of Blaxploitation films, which this ultimately is, but I’m not sure if that’s good or bad. Nevertheless, great film… just thought I’d give my two cents.

If you are really interested in films about this subject-matter, check out, “Goodbye Uncle Tom” on Google Video. It illustrates the early years of American slavery in the 1600’s rather than the 1800’s. It’s more like Roots, but it is pretty disturbing and makes Roots and Amistad look like episodes of The Cosby Show.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Saw it tonight..yeah during the superbowl. Not a sports fan. We had the theater to ourselves. Anyway, I thought it was excellent. Fantastic acting all around. The villians were just so easy to hate. The violence was so over the top though I felt it cheapened the experience a bit. But still, great work. Almost as good as Inglorious Bastards.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Saw it tonight..yeah during the superbowl. Not a sports fan. We had the theater to ourselves. Anyway, I thought it was excellent. Fantastic acting all around. The villians were just so easy to hate. The violence was so over the top though I felt it cheapened the experience a bit. But still, great work. Almost as good as Inglorious Bastards.
Were alot of people at the movies or was it dead?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Were alot of people at the movies or was it dead?
It was dead.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Didn't think much of this film.

Christoph Waltz is a good actor, but this role simply didn't do him justice, imo. First, I felt that they were going out of their way to squeeze in a scene where he could speak German. Waltz has been universally praised for his role as the multi-lingual Hans Landa in Inglorious Basterds and I think the writers were hoping to cash in on some of that goodwill in this film. But the scene just ended up feeling forced and a bit ridiculous because I'm sure Kerry Washington can't speak any German beyond the basic elementary responses she was spoon fed in this movie. Second, I thought Waltz's demise in the movie was untimely, unglorious and premature. Maybe it's just me, but I felt that his character became far less interesting after they arrived at "Candie Land."

Sam Jackson and Leo turned in the best performances. Even if you have objections to the characterization of slavery in this movie and Sam L's "shuckin' and jivin'," you have to admit that nobody is funnier when using profanity than Samuel L. Jackson. The look on his face in his introductory scene had me spit all of my soda out and burst out laughing. "You mean, what boss? You mean, you want me to make a bed for this mudda effa right here?" It was also interesting how Steven, Sam L's character, was far more perceptive than Candie and spoke to Candie as an "equal" behind closed doors.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/12...go-jackson.jpg

Foxx's acting was not good, especially when he was pretending to fumble the words printed on the Wanted poster. Sam and Leo really outshined him, imo.

The use of rap music was a bit awkward. But hey, it's a Quentin Tarantino film. Awkward is what he does.

Overall, the movie was not bad (as in it wasn't good). I've heard comparisons to Inglorious Basterds, but that movie was much better and had much more captivating dialogue.
Spot on Review
Foxx's acting was borderline terrible,he just wasn't right for this part!
Denzel would have been better in this role imo.
The ending was terrible also too!

Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Spot on Review
Foxx's acting was borderline terrible,he just wasn't right for this part!
Denzel would have been better in this role imo.
The ending was terrible too!
… and so was the beginning and middle! Ugh! I borrowed the DVD from a friend this weekend and watched it – it is horrible, boring, horrible, and not as funny as I thought it would be.

When it comes to racist – yet funny – movies, Blazing Saddles is the king. I saw it this weekend on AMC and laughed my butt off. Funniest line (in my opinion): "Somebody's gotta go back and get a sh*tload of dimes!"

Old 07-14-2014, 06:13 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post

If you are really interested in films about this subject-matter, check out, “Goodbye Uncle Tom” on Google Video. It illustrates the early years of American slavery in the 1600’s rather than the 1800’s. It’s more like Roots, but it is pretty disturbing and makes Roots and Amistad look like episodes of The Cosby Show.
In Roger Ebert's 1972 review of the American version, he asserts that the directors have, "Made the most disgusting, contemptuous insult to decency ever to masquerade as a documentary." Jus sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies