U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 PM

3,634 posts, read 4,870,515 times

Advertisements

I am one of those people who was a kid back in the 80's and grew up with classics like The Karate Kid which was motivational and original to me. Then the Jaden Smith/Jackie Chan version came out and it made me sick to know that these kids nowadays will most likely never venture into seeing the original Karate Kid because they grew up with this one which I thought was terrible.

Which movie remakes are the worst in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 PM

7,129 posts, read 3,962,241 times
So many relatively recent remakes are simply horrid, a few are outright travesties when compared to the originals:
Psycho
The Fog
Halloween
The Omen
Straw Dogs
The Pink Panther
Planet of the Apes
Clash of the Titans
The Out-of-Towners
Yours, Mine and Ours
House on Haunted Hill
Cheaper by the Dozen
The Day the Earth Stood Still
King Kong ~ both the '70s version AND Peter Jackson's!
The Haunting ~ The only thing good is that fantastic house!
The Karate Kid ~ I can't even stand to watch this! The ads were awful enough!

I despise the "Star Trek" reboot! Shame on them for this mess!

Actually, remakes do not have to be awful. However, it's as if filmmakers have forgotten how to do a creative remake. I'm sure that I've forgotten some of the stinky remakes they've done. Then, there are the ones based on TV series={

Old 01-07-2013, 12:10 AM

3,634 posts, read 4,870,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
So many relatively recent remakes are simply horrid, a few are outright travesties when compared to the originals:
Psycho
The Fog
Halloween
The Omen
Straw Dogs
The Pink Panther
Planet of the Apes
Clash of the Titans
The Out-of-Towners
Yours, Mine and Ours
House on Haunted Hill
Cheaper by the Dozen
The Day the Earth Stood Still
King Kong ~ both the '70s version AND Peter Jackson's!
The Haunting ~ The only thing good is that fantastic house!
The Karate Kid ~ I can't even stand to watch this! The ads were awful enough!

I despise the "Star Trek" reboot! Shame on them for this mess!

Actually, remakes do not have to be awful. However, it's as if filmmakers have forgotten how to do a creative remake. I'm sure that I've forgotten some of the stinky remakes they've done. Then, there are the ones based on TV series={
I have only seen 2 or 3 of the ones on your list and I agree with the Star Trek reboot being sh*tty too. They also ruined one of my favorite old shows growing up, "Miami Vice" by making it into a movie. I think it's all about the money rather than putting something quality out there anymore.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 AM

7,129 posts, read 3,962,241 times
I've only seen clips of "Miami Vice", but I've read nothing but negative reviews of it. I especially hate the film versions that completely trash the series, such as "I Spy", "Green Hornet", "Land of the Lost" and "21 Jump Street". If they were good parodies, that would be all right. Most seem to have so little to do with what the series are about or just figure they can make what they call jokes about them and people will "get it".

I'm so happy to hear that someone feels as I do about the "Star Trek" "reimagining"! I'm a Trekkie who was there for Episode #1. I started going to conventions in the Seventies, and I've met many of the cast members a number of times, not just buzzing through an autograph line but getting to chat with them. So, it's especially painful to see what Abrams did to Roddenberry's creation. They can call me an ol' fuddy duddy or stuck in the past, but I don't care. I accepted other series~though didn't care much for "Voyager" or "Enterprise"; and, I never felt reason to balk much about alterations. But, the movie took it way too far! Why doesn't Abrams just create his own sci fi world from scratch? Why does he have to desecrate "The Great Bird of the Galaxy's" creation?

They simply think if they make a joke out of our memories, it's OK and taunt us because we can't laugh at it, too. "It's only a TV series!" "It's only a movie!" Of course, they themselves don't have much of their own to be twisted in the future. Most of it's so forgettable. Maybe that's why they're trampling on what we had. *sigh* I guess I tend to rant too much. Mom calls me "Julia Becker", a combination of Julia Sugarbaker of "Designing Women" and Dr. John Becker of "Becker", both of who are soap-box ranters on occasion. Thank goodness there are lots of forums on the Net to allow us to pour out our feelings and sometimes find others who agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies