U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 PM

13,272 posts, read 17,955,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The Mission (Ennio Morricone)
Easily some of the most beautiful music ever made. Catch me in the right mood, and "Gabriel's Oboe" can move me to tears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
Conan the Barbarian ~ Basil Poledouris ~ This could be the most stunning combination of images and music I've ever witnessed. Several places give me chills!
It's a scientific fact that listening to Poledouris's Conan the Barbarian score increases male testosterone by 1000%. If that music doesn't make you want to cwush yoah enemies and see dem dwiven befoah you, then nothing will.

Quote:
John Williams does "channel" older composers such as Max Steiner, Bernard Herrmann, Erich Wolfgang Korngold, etc.
That's true, but it doesn't make his music any less great. Good artists borrow. Great artists steal. Even Beethoven borrowed from Mozart.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM

5,657 posts, read 5,025,664 times
Gotta agree with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

That said, the only score I've actually purchased for listening was Last of the Mohicans.
The Last Of The Mohicans Soundtrack - YouTube

Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 PM

2,678 posts, read 3,004,753 times
Any score composed by the great French composer Georges Delerue:

A Little Romance, 1979, (he won the Oscar), Our Mother's House (1967) haunting movie and score, Jules et Jim (1962), and over 300 others!

Georges Delerue - IMDb

He was amazing!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 PM

7,129 posts, read 3,649,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It's a scientific fact that listening to Poledouris's Conan the Barbarian score increases male testosterone by 1000%. If that music doesn't make you want to cwush yoah enemies and see dem dwiven befoah you, then nothing will.
Well, I'm still very female, but I find the music and the movie itself irresistible. Generally, I watch it no less than twice a month. When it was on On Demand for free, I watched it several times in a row for about a week straight! It did not slake my hunger for this feast of the senses!

I used to go to a Renaissance faire every year, and among the more-interesting denizens in garb were the "Viking Brothers"; and a 6'6", golden-maned fellow dressed in chamois (who was a construction worker in real life), who we dubbed "the Golden Barbarian". One evening, after the gates closed and many regulars were gathered out front chatting, the brothers went out to their car and began doffing some of their attire while blasting music from "Conan the Barbarian". As the pounding music began, GB, who was visiting with my friend and I, lifted his head, listened for a moment then, as if in a trance, headed for the source of the music, leaving those of us behind laughing/giggling as he obeyed the call of Conan. *sigh* I so miss events!

Quote:
That's true, but it doesn't make his music any less great. Good artists borrow. Great artists steal. Even Beethoven borrowed from Mozart.
I wrote that in response to this:
Quote:
John Williams is great with themes, but I have to say that much of his work is typical of Hollywood - derivative. It is pretty easy to pick out segments that he lifted out of Holst's "Planets" in "Star Wars."
So, I wanted to say, yes, he studied with some of the greats and his symphonic works owe a debt to them. However, most people haven't heard a lot of his other styles, including the jazzy stuff they liked in the Fifties/Sixties, when he was credited as "Johnny Williams". That's why I was so stunned by his work on "Star Wars" because I was used to his early works.

I also have to add this: When "Star Wars" was in the theaters, I was working hours that kept me from going till it was there for about a week. When I finally got to see it, I was blown away by the music! I suppose, after "Jaws", I shouldn't have been that surprised, but it was so old-style Hollywood that it was a joy to me. The next day, I went next door from where I worked (Waldens bookstore) to the record shop and bought the album. I asked those who had seen it earlier, "Why didn't you tell me how amazing the music is?!" All of them said pretty much the same thing: "Is it? I didn't notice." Finally, my boss said that HE had noticed and had the album. I was invited to listen to it on his friend's state-of-the-art system. It was quite an experience; even those who claimed not to like soundtracks stuck around to listen to the whole thing. Later, they let me bring other soundtracks, such as "GWTW" and "Exodus". From that point on, soundtracks no longer went to the bargain bins, where I generally bought them. So, John Williams made soundtracks more valued and did draw much more attention to "movie music". I remember thinking that he certainly must have influenced James Horner when I saw "Battle Beyond the Stars". Is that when James Cameron and Horner teamed up?

Now, I have to mention two people I cannot believe I left off the list: Henry Mancini, specifically his score for "Charade"; and Franz Waxman. I know there are others I could give a mention, but memory is failing me at the moment. I have to commend John Carpenter for scoring his films, especially "Halloween", "The Fog", and "Escape from New York".

Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM

9,745 posts, read 12,734,253 times
My two favorite film composers are Ennio Morricone and Joe Hisaishi. They both have far too many pieces I love to list them all, but I will say that this song, by Hisaishi, is not only my favorite song from film, but possibly my favorite song period.

Joe Hisaishi Live - A****aka and San (

That one's from Princess Mononoke, and I really like the entire score from that film. Probably my favorite as a whole.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,322,472 times
Hans Zimmer is great. Some others
Micheal Giacchino - Star Trek
Steve Jablonsky - Transformers
John Williams - Star Wars
Randy Edelman - Gettysburg

Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 PM

3,639 posts, read 4,928,251 times
Inception

Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I have to commend John Carpenter for scoring his films, especially "Halloween", "The Fog", and "Escape from New York".
I loved the score for Halloween. One of the greatest minimaliist melodies ever. Whereas Williams's JAWS minimal melody theme for JAWS told you, "Something bad is coming to get you," Carpenter's Halloween theme told you, "Something bad is here ... and it's never going away."

The Fog was okay, but by the time Carpenter got round to EfNY, it was a bit too techno for my tastes. Too many beeps and boops.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM

7,129 posts, read 3,649,898 times
I love the "techno" sound! I have the whole range in my collection: orchestral symphonic, jazz-influenced, electronic ("Forbidden Planet")(also: love the theremin!), Eighties/tech, and a few of those "songtracks". I remain a fan of Tangerine Dream, which seems to receive a lot of flack now.

Several more scores that I enjoy are:
Excalibur by Trevor Jones ~ Thanks to this film, I was introduced to Carmina Burana through his inclusion of "O Fortuna"; Carl Orff's music is remarkable. I couldn't find the scene I wanted, but I do like this fan-made video:

Excalibur
Ladyhawke by Andrew Powell ~ Though I usually don't care for contemporary mixed with historical, this seems to suit the film.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid by Burt Bacharach ~ This is another with contemporary touches, but it was wildly popular back then. Bacharach was "hot", and his music was everywhere. Sadly, his attempt at a musical, "Lost Horizon", was a major stumbling block. But, his soundtrack for the box-office hit has proven quite durable.
Watership Down by Angela Morley and Malcolm Williamson (who had to be replaced by Morley) ~ My non-film buff mother loves this film and actually noticed the music. Generally, she complains that music is too intrusive (including some tracks I love), but she likes this score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies