Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
I have been to several movies where the audience has clapped at the end. Is this a new trend or does anyone remember this happening in years past?

It seems a little weird to have applause for performers who can't see it. Otoh, it does make me feel as though I shared a great experience with a group of people, which is kind of nice. I am curious what others think of this.
I've seen it happen a couple of times recently. It kind of brought back memories of my childhood when clapping at the end of a movie was pretty routine. On one hand, it's obviously kind of silly, but when I am really, really impressed by a movie, it's kind of nice to hear that kind of response, which says to me, "Yeah! That really was good!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 12:24 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
No, it's not new, and it's not a trend.

I haven't run into clapping in a long time, and it's mostly been for some extraordinary art-type movie, but every so often people will clap for some big mediocre crowd-pleaser.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
I think clapping at the end of movies is stupid, sorry but it is. The movie has to be damn good for me to clap which it usually never gets to that level.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I think clapping at the end of movies is stupid, sorry but it is. The movie has to be damn good for me to clap which it usually never gets to that level.
I agree. Is not like the film director is in the audience or the actors can actually hear the applaud. The money at the end of the weekend is what they look at but even that doesn't mean its a good movie.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,191 times
I go to the movies all the time, and like I said earlier in the thread it happens occasionally. But the last movie I saw that I can specifically remember it happening was The Avengers (2012) - IMDb - People clapped their asses off and rightfully so!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,102 times
I don't like it. I mean it is not being performed right there. The director is not in the audience, non of the actors are there. It bugs me when it happens

Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
I have been to several movies where the audience has clapped at the end. Is this a new trend or does anyone remember this happening in years past?

It seems a little weird to have applause for performers who can't see it. Otoh, it does make me feel as though I shared a great experience with a group of people, which is kind of nice. I am curious what others think of this.
I remember everyone clapping at the end of the first Fast and The Furious movie when it came out. It was a crowded theatre with lots of young people. I also remember people peeling out of the parking lot and doing 360's in the parking lot after the movie. First time I felt like I was going to get killed after a movie...lol

I clap when a movie is good, and I'll laugh out loud when it's funny too. I don't get people who go to comedy movies that don't laugh when most people are laughing. I mean, if it's that bad or boring then why not leave?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
When I was a kid I remember watching "Rocky III" and the audience didn't even wait till the end of the movie to start clapping, as soon as that huge "ROCKY III" starts crawling on the screen with that inspirational Rocky music in the background, people were clapping and cheering. Then during the fight between Rocky and Mr. T, people were clapping and cheering and hootering and shouting and hollering going "Go Rocky!" "Hit him harder, Rocky!" and "Yeah, Rocky!", as if it were a real live boxing match! I'll never forget that.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 AM

260 posts, read 473,070 times
I went to a screening of Gone With the Wind a while back and we all clapped at the end of that but I've never experienced it at a modern movie.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
I can remember a couple of times when the audience clapped at the end. To me they were just showing that everyone enjoyed it or agreed with the theme. Of course they know it isn't for the actors or director, as they wouldn't know they are being applauded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies