Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:02 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Chariots of Fire. I watched it because it won best picture but turned it off after 30 minutes. It was so boring.
I actually watched this movie beginning to end -- twice, trying to figure out what on earth (besides the music) held any appeal whatsoever. Never did figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 05:04 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
I also found Ben-Hur to be pretty laughable (my HS musical director loved making fun of how you could see tire tracks and watches), but it's sure better than the other two.
But when you stop and think that this was filmed in 1959...

Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,459 times
I have viewed 73 of the 85 award winners, and enjoyed most of them. There are some that I would not want to see again, but I appreciate that my enjoyment criteria may differ from that of the voting Academy members or the public.

There is but one film that I fail to understand the reasons behind it's selection - UNFORGIVEN. The fact that I'm a fan of Eastwood, Freeman, Hackman and Harris didn't override my dissatisfaction with this flick any of the three times I watched it and tried - unsuccessfully - to enjoy it. Of course, since CAR WASH is one of my favorite films, my opinion can easily be ignored.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:28 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
... I think "The Kings Speech" could practically have won for "Best Picture Ever." It's funny how some of the same people who hated the same movies I hated ("Out of Africa" and "The English Patient") also hated some of my all-time favorite movies.
I really looked forward to The King's Speech, but found it a little uncomfortable to watch. While I ADORE Colin Firth, watching a man stutter his way through a movie just made me want to cover my ears! I didn't hate it, but would not have voted it best.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:46 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I really looked forward to The King's Speech, but found it a little uncomfortable to watch. While I ADORE Colin Firth, watching a man stutter his way through a movie just made me want to cover my ears! I didn't hate it, but would not have voted it best.
It was good enough, hardly a classic. But if you'll remember, everybody knew that if King's Speech didn't win, then Black Swan was going to, and thank God it didn't. BS (heh) is my vote for the absolute worst critically acclaimed film in recent years.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Worst Best Picture Ever?

Hands down, that award goes to The Sound of Music

Absolutely atrocious, what with the singing family traipsing through the mountains to escape the Nazis. No basis in reality whatsoever, and it's screwed up a couple of generations with its altered history.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Worst Best Picture Ever?

Hands down, that award goes to The Sound of Music

Absolutely atrocious, what with the singing family traipsing through the mountains to escape the Nazis. No basis in reality whatsoever, and it's screwed up a couple of generations with its altered history.
Um, it IS based on the true story of the Von Trapp Family Singers. They were a VERY musical family, much more so than what was portrayed in the movie. And while yes, many details were changed when the story was made into a film, the essence of it remains the same.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
I am surprised nobody mentioned A Beautiful Mind. That was a terrible movie and it took a political agenda to get it nominated for the Oscars.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I am surprised nobody mentioned A Beautiful Mind. That was a terrible movie and it took a political agenda to get it nominated for the Oscars.
More liberals at work? They're positively diabolical, those liberals.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:49 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Um, it IS based on the true story of the Von Trapp Family Singers. They were a VERY musical family, much more so than what was portrayed in the movie. And while yes, many details were changed when the story was made into a film, the essence of it remains the same.
The only part of the story that remains the same is that there was a family named Von Trapp who left Austria and moved to America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies