Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:39 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

I would guess that most people would name "Spinal Tap" as the greatest band to never actually exist. While the movie remains one of my all time favorites, I wasn't that captivated by their actual playing and singing. (I did like "Big Bottom.")

My true favorite comes from a terrible movie, Russ Meyers' 1970 exploitation cheap-o, "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls." The film concerned a girl's rock group, "The Carrie Nations" and was meant to be a parody of the movie "The Valley of the Dolls" although you probably would not have picked up on this were it not for the film's title.

The movie stunk big time, but I loved the girl group. It was a truly fake band in the sense that none of the on screen performers were doing any actual singing or playing, they were cast for their looks. (I suppose that Meyers hoped that viewers would be so captivated by the women that the would not notice that none of them are ever changing chords or the rhythm of their strumming on their guitars.)

Two of their songs became big favorites of mine, ones I thought good enough to have been hits on the radio in 1970. They were:

Song from 'Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls' In The Long Run - YouTube

and

The Carrie Nations - Come With the Gentle People.wmv - YouTube

Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea of course.

Two years before "Beyond etc" there had been a movie called "Wild in the Streets" which was the ultimate '60's hubris flick, one which postulated a future society where everyone over the age of 30 is executed. It featured a band they called "Max Frost and the Troopers" and their on screen song was:

Max Frost and the Troopers - Shape of Things to Come - YouTube

That song spilled over into real life and became a hit on the charts, rising to # 22 at its peak of popularity.

There have been plenty more...Josie and the Pussycats, that band Justine Bateman was in for "Satisfaction".....

....you have any favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,603 times
Does the Beets from Doug count? I think there was a Doug film though I didn't see it.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:32 PM

92 posts, read 267,471 times
Stillwater in Almost Famous

Old 02-26-2013, 04:38 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
The band on stage in "From Dusk till dawn" Great guitar playing, swilling tequila on stage and then they turned into beasties and exploded. What a performance! Plus they opened for Salma Hayek and a serpent. What more could you ask for in a show?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Yay the Carrie Nations!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie1000 View Post
Stillwater in Almost Famous
My first thought, too. And I really liked Josie and the pussycats the movie. They had some really great, catchy songs.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Two years before "Beyond etc" there had been a movie called "Wild in the Streets" which was the ultimate '60's hubris flick, one which postulated a future society where everyone over the age of 30 is executed.
I believe that is Logan's Run.

Logan's Run (1976) - IMDb

Wild in the Streets is where all oldsters are required to live in "retirement homes" where they are forced to ingest LSD, taking the 60s catch phrase "Never trust anyone over 30" to its most extreme consequences.

Wild in the Streets (1968) - Plot Summary

Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Oh! And Scott Pilgrim's band!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I believe that is Logan's Run.

Logan's Run (1976) - IMDb

Wild in the Streets is where all oldsters are required to live in "retirement homes" where they are forced to ingest LSD, taking the 60s catch phrase "Never trust anyone over 30" to its most extreme consequences.

Wild in the Streets (1968) - Plot Summary
Thanks for the corrections, I only saw the movie once and that was a zillion years ago, it isn't a film you want to see again. I knew it was something bad happening to the over 30 crowd.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 PM

Slipped my mind..

There was also "The Rutles", the Eric Idle created parody of the Beatles who appeared in two mockumentarie films. All the songs were original, written to match the Beatles sound as it evolved over the years. They did a remarkably great job, the songs really do sound like they come straight out of the Lennon/McCartney songbook. Here is a scene from their early period.

The Rutles - Hold My Hand - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies